Good Beginner's Weightlifting Program to Follow?

I’m 26 and have been lifting on and off somewhat casually since my sophomore year of high school. Less so for the last few years as I got out of college and started working my first job, and I’m trying to get back into it and follow a structured program, which I’ve never really done before.

I started following StrongLifts 5x5 program about a month ago and have enjoyed it just because I can feel my body firming up and like the progress I’m making, but then I ran into an article which touts StrongLifts as “far inferior” to Starting Strength. So, now I’m unsure if I should continue with StrongLifts, switch to Starting Strength, or what.

In your experience, what is the best beginner’s weightlifting program and why? What would you recommend to someone who, for now, just wants to generally improve their strength and conditioning?

I’m 5’9" and weigh 185 lbs, in case that makes any sort of a difference or gives a clearer picture. Let me know if you need any other info about me.

Thanks for your help.

they’re more similar than they are different, and the results from each will be pretty much identical.

Just choose whichever looks more fun to you and do that.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
they’re more similar than they are different, and the results from each will be pretty much identical.

Just choose whichever looks more fun to you and do that.[/quote]

This.

The difference will be more in the implementation than the program at this point.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

This.

The difference will be more in the implementation than the program at this point.[/quote]
Thanks for the replies. If I wasn’t limiting my choices to just those two programs, are there better beginner programs out there?

the best beginner program is to learn how to lift properly

But in the end, most beginners will spend most of their time formulating, calculating, and stigmatizing until they realize they’re still fuckin fat and weak. Then they come back for a ‘better’ program. Rinse and repeat.

[quote]Inifus wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

This.

The difference will be more in the implementation than the program at this point.[/quote]
Thanks for the replies. If I wasn’t limiting my choices to just those two programs, are there better beginner programs out there?[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. I repeat my earlier post: the implementation is more important than the program at this point.

There is so much discussion on beginner programs because there are so many beginners. Consequently, those that discuss the merits of various beginner programs are, themselves, beginners. They have no idea the actual merits of said programs because they have never successfully followed these programs to the point of NOT being beginners.

In general, do not listen to beginners on the subject of how to train to no longer be beginners. They have no experience. Instead, listen to those who have somehow managed to make it out of that stage of their training. They tend to universally agree that it doesn’t really matter, just pick something, train hard, eat well, and get stronger.

stick with stronglifts for another month or two /until you stall then move on to 5x5 a a la texas method or madcow

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
the best beginner program is to learn how to lift properly

But in the end, most beginners will spend most of their time formulating, calculating, and stigmatizing until they realize they’re still fuckin fat and weak. Then they come back for a ‘better’ program. Rinse and repeat.
[/quote]
Thanks for your constructive comment.

[quote]Inifus wrote:
I started following StrongLifts 5x5 program about a month ago and have enjoyed it just because I can feel my body firming up and like the progress I’m making[/quote]
To be clear, you’ve trained sporadically and never really followed a structured program. Then you started a structured program and you saw and felt results. Then you read someone’s opinion and are now considering no longer following that structured program. Re-read that a few times until you see how crazy it sounds.

That’s like saying scrambled eggs are “far inferior” to over-easy eggs. Whoever wrote the article isn’t looking at things very objectively or just doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Stick with what you’ve been doing for at least a few months. Changing now would do more harm than good.

In my experience, there is no “best” program because lots and lots of different things work. Even after accounting for individual preferences, goals, and requirements, different training and/or injury histories, available time and equipment, etc. Starting Strength works, Stronglifts works, Reg Park’s 5x5 plan works, Dan John’s Southwood program works, 5/3/1 works, etc., but none of them is hands-down “better” than the others. Especially if we’re talking for beginners.

I would suggest consistently following a well-designed program, lifting 3-5 days per week for at least 8-12 weeks before even considering jumping to a new plan. During that same time, work on building a basic nutrition routine with total calories and quality food choices that are appropriate for your current physique and short-term goals.