Golf Clubs

Hello All,

Recently started playing golf with a few of my buddies on the weekends. My dad has an old set of Ping irons that have been great for learning. Now it’s time to get a set of my own. What’s the best out there these days? What’s in your bag? Thanks.

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
Hello All,

Recently started playing golf with a few of my buddies on the weekends. My dad has an old set of Ping irons that have been great for learning. Now it’s time to get a set of my own. What’s the best out there these days? What’s in your bag? Thanks.

[/quote]

Kind of iron: Forgiving Cavity Back
Nike Slingshot OSS: $700
Callaway Fusion: $800
PING G5: $800

Driver:
Nike Sasquatch: $350
Callaway X460: $300
Taylormade r7 460: $400

Woods:
Nike Sasquatch: $200
Callaway X: $200

Putter:
This needs to be personal. Pick something that feels right in your hand and something you like looking at.

Get fitted by a professional though. This is/should be free with the purchase. They tell you what lie and shaft you should use.

Whats in my bag…

*Nike Ignite 460 driver 9.5 degree
*Nike T-60 3 Wood 15 degree
*Callaway Heavenwood 19 degree
Nike Forged Blade 2 Iron
*Titleist 690 3-PW irons
*Cleveland CG10 52 degree wedge
Nike 56 degree wedge
*Nike 60 degree wedge
Scotty Cameron Putter (Mid-Sur cutdown)
(All shafts are stiff)

*In bag today

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
Hello All,

[/quote]

Best! impossible to answer. The new Calloway’s are great. Ping is always good. I love my Titelist DCI’s. The technology is so great these days even the knock-offs are betterthan the old top of the lines used to be.

Truth be told, you’re just a beginner. You’ll get more out of a couple of lessons than you will with great clubs. Buy what your budget will afford and your playing time justifies.

And please, spend at least 75% of your time from 100yds in.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Whats in my bag…

Nike Forged Blade 2 Iron
*Titleist 690 3-PW irons
Nike 56 degree wedge
*Nike 60 degree wedge
(All shafts are stiff)

*In bag today[/quote]

Geez guy, how did I know you’ll be the first one to respond to this thread. You should be the official T-Nation golf man.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:
Hello All,

Kind of iron: Forgiving Cavity Back
Nike Slingshot OSS: $700
Callaway Fusion: $800
PING G5: $800

Driver:
Nike Sasquatch: $350
Callaway X460: $300
Taylormade r7 460: $400

Woods:
Nike Sasquatch: $200
Callaway X: $200

Putter:
This needs to be personal. Pick something that feels right in your hand and something you like looking at.

Get fitted by a professional though. This is/should be free with the purchase. They tell you what lie and shaft you should use.

Whats in my bag…

Nike Forged Blade 2 Iron
*Titleist 690 3-PW irons
Nike 56 degree wedge
*Nike 60 degree wedge
(All shafts are stiff)

*In bag today[/quote]

Thank you for the reccomendations! Is there any particular reason that you prefer Nike?

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:
Hello All,

Best! impossible to answer. The new Calloway’s are great. Ping is always good. I love my Titelist DCI’s. The technology is so great these days even the knock-offs are betterthan the old top of the lines used to be.

Truth be told, you’re just a beginner. You’ll get more out of a couple of lessons than you will with great clubs. Buy what your budget will afford and your playing time justifies.

And please, spend at least 75% of your time from 100yds in.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I definitely would like some lessons…I can’t hit a driver! I use my 3-iron to tee off with success.

If you’re a low handicapper, Nike blades (muscle-backed irons) 1-iron thorugh 56 degree wedge. I love em. Then again, all blades are virtually the same.

If you’re a high handicapper/begingger, look for a set of cavity-backed irons. Any kind should do. Although, I’ve looked at the sling-shot and hate em.

If you’re going to take lessons, look for a PGA professional who teaches based on the theory of Homer Kelly’s book, “The Golfing Machine.” It’s one of the only methods based on the physics/geometry of the golf swing.

Beware of picking up any ole teaching pro. Especially, if they aren’t PGA pros. Good luck - golf is awesome

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks for the advice. I definitely would like some lessons…I can’t hit a driver! I use my 3-iron to tee off with success.[/quote]

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
Thank you for the reccomendations! Is there any particular reason that you prefer Nike?[/quote]

Clubs wise its what feels best in my hands. If the club works for me I’ll use it. Whatever I get the best results with is what stays in the bag. I’ve used the Sasquatch but I dont like it that much. Its a great club but it doesnt feel right in my hands and doesnt produce the ball flight I want, way to high. But DONT go by what I use.

What I suggested to your are the clubs that have received the best consumer reviews along with best club test reviews. I’ve hit all of those clubs too and you cant go wrong. You just have to find out what gives you the best results and since you’re a beginner you things that are the most forgiving. The technology is there might as well take advantage of it.

I wanted to change my driver. I wasnt hitting it well. I demoed about 10 driver/shaft combos and ended up staying with my Ignite. I got back into a good rhythm with it and I wont change it at this point.

Try the clubs I mentioned. Try the clubs at the same time i.e. hit the drivers together, hit the iron sets together, etc. so you can find out what feels best in your hands.

Sign up for lessons since you are a beginner. You might be able to save money by doing a group lesson that most courses have. Once you get through being comfortable with the basics and have a few rounds under your belt with them then look into private lessons. It can be done on your own but it takes longer and a great understanding of the swing.

I havent had a lesson yet. I may soon but I’ve watched thousands of hours of swings and analyzied them to death and comparing them to my swing and swing drilling certain positions to try and mimick them. I dont regret doing it that way as I have a good understand of the swing now.

[quote]hill1971 wrote:
If you’re going to take lessons, look for a PGA professional who teaches based on the theory of Homer Kelly’s book, “The Golfing Machine.” It’s one of the only methods based on the physics/geometry of the golf swing.

Beware of picking up any ole teaching pro. Especially, if they aren’t PGA pros. Good luck - golf is awesome

cardinal25 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks for the advice. I definitely would like some lessons…I can’t hit a driver! I use my 3-iron to tee off with success.
[/quote]

Oh come on–

There are many qualified teachers of golf who are not PGA pros. And there are some pros who can’t teach a lick.

You may have to try several times to get someone who clicks with you. You might find some old duffer on the course who suggests a thing or two. You could pick up a thing or two from watching the game on TV or reading golf digest. The important thing is just working on it.

There are hundreds of golf swings. You may have to go through a series of teachers as you progress. It depends on your goals and time. The first guy might take you from 20+ hcp to 18. The next 18-15…etc… Some guys are pure swingers and some guys are pure scorers. That’s one of the many things that is great about the game.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:
Thank you for the reccomendations! Is there any particular reason that you prefer Nike?

Clubs wise its what feels best in my hands. If the club works for me I’ll use it. Whatever I get the best results with is what stays in the bag. I’ve used the Sasquatch but I dont like it that much. Its a great club but it doesnt feel right in my hands and doesnt produce the ball flight I want, way to high. But DONT go by what I use.

What I suggested to your are the clubs that have received the best consumer reviews along with best club test reviews. I’ve hit all of those clubs too and you cant go wrong. You just have to find out what gives you the best results and since you’re a beginner you things that are the most forgiving. The technology is there might as well take advantage of it.

I wanted to change my driver. I wasnt hitting it well. I demoed about 10 driver/shaft combos and ended up staying with my Ignite. I got back into a good rhythm with it and I wont change it at this point.

Try the clubs I mentioned. Try the clubs at the same time i.e. hit the drivers together, hit the iron sets together, etc. so you can find out what feels best in your hands.

Sign up for lessons since you are a beginner. You might be able to save money by doing a group lesson that most courses have. Once you get through being comfortable with the basics and have a few rounds under your belt with them then look into private lessons. It can be done on your own but it takes longer and a great understanding of the swing.

I havent had a lesson yet. I may soon but I’ve watched thousands of hours of swings and analyzied them to death and comparing them to my swing and swing drilling certain positions to try and mimick them. I dont regret doing it that way as I have a good understand of the swing now.[/quote]

Thanks! I understand not to go off of what is best for you. It’s the same as a training routine, diet, etc…I’m going to look into trying out different clubs as well as lessons. Lessons will most likely have to wait until next spring/summer because football will dominate my life for the next months.

IMO you need to stay away from the majority of the high priced gear (unless you can easily afford it).

There is plenty of high quality stuff in the next price range down.

In my bag…

Ping G2 Driver

Ping G2 3-Wood

Cleveland HALO Hybrid.

Ping G-2 Irons

Wedges–Cleveland CG10 54 and 60 Degree

Putter-- Ram Zebra

Ball- Titleist Pro-Vx

Don’t spend big money on a set of clubs if you are still a beginner. Look into clones, which are just as good as the brand name clubs, and way cheaper. You can get a set of irons for around $150, as opposed to the $400 or $500 you would spend on a brand name set.

Try GigaGolf, or something similar. Most of these companies have money-back guarantees too, so you can send the clubs back for a full refund if you are not satisfied.

Good luck. Golf sucks. But I can’t stop playing…

[quote]PGA200X wrote:

*In bag today[/quote]

I love that driver. I played 9 holes with it the other day and most of my drives were around or above 300. Great club.

For irons, I use Callaway?s; I favor the older big bertha irons. (But I prefer heavier clubs and need them for my swing speed)

I know some pro shops offer a service where they take you out and look at your swing, measure your swing speed and suggest a couple of clubs for you. You can then hit them and see how it feels. It doesn’t cost too much and it could help.

Go to a good place though, when I did it when I first started competing the guy gave me a Taylormade Firesole 3 wood. What a piece of crap! To prove my point on that I went to a PGA Tour event and one of the pros I was following had the same club…he gave it away to someone in the crowd he hated it so much!

Get some lessons, first and formost. learn the basics.

When the hook is sufficiently set, and you feel you are ready to upgrade your equipment, get yourself a Golfsmith club builders catolog, and read it. Its a great way to understand the different aspects of golf club design. You will also find that you can put togethter a custom built set for far less money than you would spend for big brand names.