T Nation

Golds Gym franchise?

I’m considering getting into the gym owner business

I’m looking into an instant soup in a can Gold’s Gym franchise, or just start a independent Gym

The thought occurred to me because I am moving to a densely populated area that doesn’t have a Gym, well not a decent one, so I thought hey… Ill just make one

any thoughts would be appreciated

Don’t play shitty music.

Talk to local small gym owners. More than likely, most of them have investers. That’s another thing: know anyone with money who’s willing to back you up in your venture? Also, Golds Gym, Power Gym have websites with franchise information. About 10-years ago, I requested a franchise information packet from Golds and got it. You could probably do the same still.

A few months ago, I looked into gym franchises (kind of on a whim). They were way more expensive than I thought. $750-$800,000 with $200,000 in available cash!!! If you have the money, go with a major franchise. I’ve never seen a World or Gold gym go out of business. I’ve seen quite a few small independents go under. Like Patricia said, check their websites. World’s site broke down the expenses into catagories like equip, fees, etc…better than Gold’s site. Good luck!

Well, I’ve got a bit of knowledge in frachising in general, and this is one area where it may or may not be of benefit. The real benefit is to the clients – they would be able to move a membership with them. That may help you get more clients (which means more $$). But in exchange for that, you pay franchising fees. If you have the knowledge, the financial wherewithall, and the energy to make a go of it on your own, and are prepared to wait 3 years or so to get in the black, then by all means, go for it. The Golds or World route may be the better way to go if you have a lack in any of the above areas.