T Nation

Golden Boy vs. Pretty Boy

With this being possibly the biggest fight in boxing history (or at least close to it), I figured this deserved a thread of its own.

So the obvious questions:

Who do you think will win?
Will this fight help boxing’s cause to bring it closer to mainstream?

With MMA now rising particularly quickly, does anyone even care about this match? I love both boxing and MMA, and don’t see the need to be an “either/or” fan.

Discuss!

I hope MMA doesn’t let Don King get to it.

Boxing is the most crooked sport in the world, but I think if they fight Mayweather will win. Oscar de la hoya has already shown he has trouble with quick and accurate(I guess that means good) boxers.

Only thing I see helping la hoya is experience, and arm length. Mayweather hasn’t realy fought anybody legendary. De la hoya has fought about 4.

[quote]kligor wrote:
With this being possibly the biggest fight in boxing history (or at least close to it), …[/quote]

Does anyone believe this?

I agree with you on the point you don’t have to be a fan of one or the other but boxing is losing a lot of interest in this country. The money is still in boxing for now.

I am surprised this thread wasn’t started earlier. My family is into boxing (I’m the only one who watches MMA)and we can’t wait for this fight. I hope Oscar kicks his ass but it’s gonna be tough.

We have been waiting for this fight for a while and it will be one of the biggest boxing matches we have had in many years. Heck, we are even having a BBQ that day since the temperature will probably be in the 80s.

Anyway, I am going for Oscar.

[quote]kligor wrote:
With this being possibly the biggest fight in boxing history (or at least close to it), I figured this deserved a thread of its own.

[/quote]

I agree this is a big fight but NOWHERE NEAR the biggest in boxing history. Go back and read some history before claims are made of that magnitude.

But, I think the Golden Boy will prevail.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
kligor wrote:
With this being possibly the biggest fight in boxing history (or at least close to it), …

Does anyone believe this?

[/quote]

HBO certainly wants us to think so.

Oscar hasn’t won a significant fight in years…lost to Mosley, lost to Sturm (cards say other wise, but everyone knows that was a robbery), lost to Hopkins, and beat a heavy bag with legs in Mayorga…4 fights in the last 4 years, and hasn’t looked good, except against a C fighter.

Oscar is much like chavez, whitaker, and virtually every other big name fighter he has beaten was back during ODLH’s prime…older, past his prime (although oscar isn’t as far past it as pea or jcc was), definitely still capable, but ready to lose to a faster, more gifted (at this point in his career)fighter.

a lot of factors are in ODLH’s favor though. he is naturally much bigger, Floyd was best at 130 or 135. the ring they are using is small, the gloves chosen favor ODLH.

IMO, Floyd in a close UD, possibly contraversial. He can’t hurt oscar, but has the tools to outbox him.

Biggest fight in history? Hardly. Big fight? Yes.

I think Mayweather wins. Only way I could see him losing is if he underestimated De La Hoya, which I don’t think he will do. He wants to beat him bad.

I thought for sure this was going to be about Hillary vs. Obama!

Anyay, Mayweather has this one all the way.

when is this fight happening, anyway? Never watched a full bout and this one sounds like a decent place to get started.

Mayweather all the way.

Steak and potatoes for life.

I am looking forward to this fight and think it’s going to be a real good one. I am hoping Oscar takes it but in now way think it’s in the bag for him.

D

i think boxing is extremely boring when compared to mma.

[quote]Epimetheus wrote:
when is this fight happening, anyway? Never watched a full bout and this one sounds like a decent place to get started.[/quote]

Cinco De Mayo.

to clarify, when I said “possibly the biggest fight in boxing history”, I meant just in terms of money and PPV sales, NOT significance.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
i think boxing is extremely boring when compared to mma. [/quote]

Thanks for sharing, and greatly contributing to this thread with a well thought-out opinion.

[quote]kligor wrote:
to clarify, when I said “possibly the biggest fight in boxing history”, I meant just in terms of money and PPV sales, NOT significance.[/quote]

That makes sense.

I’ve said it many times, I don’t think UFC compares to boxing.

That being said, I’m pulling for De La Hoya all the way, being as I really want someone to shut Mayweather the fuck up for once.

Yes, I’m bitter because Mayweather killed Gatti. Fuck him.

ITS FUCKING 54.95 thats alot for ppv.i hope oscar beats his ass good.

[quote]kligor wrote:
texasguy wrote:
i think boxing is extremely boring when compared to mma.

Thanks for sharing, and greatly contributing to this thread with a well thought-out opinion.[/quote]

He probably gets bored because the men never fuck each other in boxing. I guess stand-up isn’t his thing.