Golden Boy / Affliction Working Together

Interesting idea to have fights from both sports on the same card.

I’m not a big boxing fan, but this could be interesting so I’m all for it.

I had 2 thoughts as I was reading it;

1. This would be a great event for Arlovski to but on the bigger gloves.

2. FightinIrish may end up watching an MMA fight! :slight_smile:

LOL. Good call Rugger.

Mick- Let’s not forget that there’s those of us that have no interest in watching MMA, either.

I’m sure Affliction is figuring that having boxing on their card, especially DLH’s co. (although he’s a bitch) will lend some credibility to them, while the boxing gods are figuring they’ll get back some of the 18-24 white male group that they have lost over the years.

I’ll support anything that helps the sport of boxing… and it’s not like they’re putting it on with the WWE or something, so it’s fine with me.

I do, however, wonder how the pay scales are going to be adjusted…

HIstorically, co-promoted boxing and MMA shows haven’t worked very well. I don’t see this ending well for Affliction…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
LOL. Good call Rugger.

Mick- Let’s not forget that there’s those of us that have no interest in watching MMA, either.

I’m sure Affliction is figuring that having boxing on their card, especially DLH’s co. (although he’s a bitch) will lend some credibility to them, while the boxing gods are figuring they’ll get back some of the 18-24 white male group that they have lost over the years.

I’ll support anything that helps the sport of boxing… and it’s not like they’re putting it on with the WWE or something, so it’s fine with me.

I do, however, wonder how the pay scales are going to be adjusted…
[/quote]

Nice point about the pay scales…hadn’t thought of that. I think it’s another step forward for MMA. It might work, it might not, but it’s something for sure worth trying. Hopefully some fans from both sides of the fence will cross over and we’ll all get some more support.

The real benefit here would be to have one of the best promotions in all of sports take an interest in MMA. A well established boxing promotion is much more equipt to take on the UFC.

Other MMA promotions will continue to come and go, or stay local. This is a great opportunity to get some real UFC competition that can only benefit the sport.

Not only will we get to see more events, althought the ufc is doing a great job getting into my wallet every month, but we will see the UFC step it up as well. We have already seen the quality of UFC events improve with just a little competion.

I am not at all interested in seeing boxing matches, so hopefully they realize that this is not a winning formula. I think most people are going to pay to see one or the other and are not going to want to see half a card filled with fights they are not interested in.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

I am not at all interested in seeing boxing matches, so hopefully they realize that this is not a winning formula. I think most people are going to pay to see one or the other and are not going to want to see half a card filled with fights they are not interested in.[/quote]

This is what I was kind of wondering. Will they try to set this up as a 50/50 card or will it be a MMA card with a boxing match and/or a boxing card with 1 - 2 MMA matches.

The upside of a 50/50 card is larger audience would need to buy if there are 2 headliners. Downside, maybe less attractive MMA fans since less fights. To my (very limited) knowledge most boxing matches are sold on the main event almost exclusively so you may not alienate them as much.

The upside of predominantly one card is it will expose a boxing crowd to a few select MMA matches, or vise versa.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
HIstorically, co-promoted boxing and MMA shows haven’t worked very well. I don’t see this ending well for Affliction…[/quote]

I guess the fact that I wasn’t even aware it was done before shows it wasn’t a huge success!

Where the events big or local, smaller shows (ie. King of the Cage, etc…)

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
HIstorically, co-promoted boxing and MMA shows haven’t worked very well. I don’t see this ending well for Affliction…

I guess the fact that I wasn’t even aware it was done before shows it wasn’t a huge success!

Where the events big or local, smaller shows (ie. King of the Cage, etc…)[/quote]

It hasn’t been done on this large a scale in the U.S. It’s been done on some smaller-level shows, and none have drawn well.

In Japan it’s a bit different, some mixed events that have some MMA with Muay Thai or pro wrestling have done OK.

This does not seem like a good idea.

The MMA and pro wrasslin’ market actually have overlap. A WWE partnership would have made more sense.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:

Interesting idea to have fights from both sports on the same card.

I’m not a big boxing fan, but this could be interesting so I’m all for it.

I had 2 thoughts as I was reading it;

1. This would be a great event for Arlovski to but on the bigger gloves.

2. FightinIrish may end up watching an MMA fight! :slight_smile:

I tried to watch boxing the other night and just couldn’t…it was a borfest. They can do whatever they want to a fight card but there are people out there who are just not interested in watching the sport of boxing any longer. I’m not one of them yet, but I’m getting there.[/quote]

There are plenty of boring MMA fights too.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
This does not seem like a good idea.

The MMA and pro wrasslin’ market actually have overlap. A WWE partnership would have made more sense.[/quote]

WWE actually made a run at buying a controlling interest in the UFC about a year ago. Vince’s son, Shane, is a big MMA fan and I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point WWE did get into the MMA business.

Honestly, now that I think about it, it doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

It’s not like the boxing crowd isn’t aware of MMA, and the MMA crowd is certainly aware of boxing.

Someone above made the point that most boxing cards are made on one fight, which is true aside from some boxing after dark nights where there’s two good fights.

But either way, those who like MMA are already watching it. No one who knows the sport of boxing well doesn’t know that MMA is around… hell, even I know a couple of MMA fighters, and I never watch the sport.

I think that those who want to see the fights will buy it as they would anyway, but I doubt that anyone who’s really interested in a WBA title fight is really going to care who’s wrestling around before hand.

I will say this- there are far more MMA fans, but among those there are many who casual. Boxing does not have that, but the people that know boxing, know boxing. Not to mention, alot of hype from boxing comes from Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and other minorities with whom the sport is ingrained in their culture, as well as blacks. I doubt that these guys are going to pay money to see an MMA fight… it doesn’t have the historical importance that boxing has had.

Just my observations. I wouldn’t mind if it did well, but I doubt it will.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

It’s not like the boxing crowd isn’t aware of MMA, and the MMA crowd is certainly aware of boxing.

Someone above made the point that most boxing cards are made on one fight, which is true aside from some boxing after dark nights where there’s two good fights.

But either way, those who like MMA are already watching it. No one who knows the sport of boxing well doesn’t know that MMA is around… hell, even I know a couple of MMA fighters, and I never watch the sport.

I think that those who want to see the fights will buy it as they would anyway, but I doubt that anyone who’s really interested in a WBA title fight is really going to care who’s wrestling around before hand.

I will say this- there are far more MMA fans, but among those there are many who casual. Boxing does not have that, but the people that know boxing, know boxing. Not to mention, alot of hype from boxing comes from Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and other minorities with whom the sport is ingrained in their culture, as well as blacks. I doubt that these guys are going to pay money to see an MMA fight… it doesn’t have the historical importance that boxing has had.

Just my observations. I wouldn’t mind if it did well, but I doubt it will.

Well said…the part of you that’s Irish is very bright.

:wink:

[/quote]

Hahahaha.

It’s plenty easy to have a boring fight. Not sure what this is debated.

Every sport has its boring games/moments.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Just my observations. I wouldn’t mind if it did well, but I doubt it will.[/quote]

Pretty much echoes my sentiments. I sincerely doubt Golden Boy has more than passing interest in this project.

I think this is just a further trend in the Affliction promotion, or in all these smaller upstart MMA promotions for that matter, of desperately trying to latch onto any established name they can, rather than building names from within the organization which is what the UFC has done. How many B level fighters have become household names just because Zuffa knows how and when to put a camera on them? Do you really think parading around Donald Trump, Golden Boy, and Megadeth is going to make Joe-fight-fan turn on your product? EliteXC got the formula right with Carano and Kimbo, but that’s about all I can think of.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I think this is just a further trend in the Affliction promotion, or in all these smaller upstart MMA promotions for that matter, of desperately trying to latch onto any established name they can,… [/quote]

Oh well, I just hope they can get a couple more fights out of Fedor before going under.

I don’t see this ending well for Affliction either. Hardcore mma fans can be extremely territorial and although there will be those mma fans who will watch a card that has good mma fights on it by in large i think most will boycott and just not make the ppv buy.