Going Vegan for 2017. Thoughts and Risks?

You are spot on with that comment. I used to give in to indulgences like ice cream and a few other things. When I began fasting once a week, just short of 24 hours, it helped me in two ways. First I was consuming less calories during the week. I had one day where I was eating nothing except a small snack before bed. But more importantly fasting offered me the opportunity to exercise discipline regarding food. I was never a big junk food guy and always had a good diet. But, I would overeat on a semi-regular basis. Now I realize through the discipline of fasting that I just don’t need the food. I get up and walk away from the dinner table when I am no longer hungry, before I am full.

I guess whatever you do not master has the potential to master you.

1 Like

So true. That’s a lot like me, I was always active and ate healthy but during my 2-3 year college stint I drank too much and ate more crap than I should have. Back under control now partially thanks to IF, cigarettes / vape, and biking as my main means of transporation. Obviously want to quit smoking and start running more.

I’m almost 23 and my metabolism isn’t that bad yet but I can definitely tell the margin for shitty diet and lack of exercise is closing

So many people let themselves go in college, I don’t want that to be me.

I’ve been vegan for 18 months & it’s transformed my health. I was the last person I thought would go vegan.

I went into it for entirely selfish reasons - I wanted to see if my health & pain would improve. I didn’t care at all about animals (that changed later).

I weight lifted for 7 years eating lots of meat, fish & dairy, and my personal experience is I’m stronger, recover faster & have crazy strength endurance on a whole foods, organic vegan diet.

I also dropped about 15 pounds of body fat in the first 5 or 6 weeks - something which I now attribute to no longer eating all the estrogens, chemicals & rubbish in factory farmed meat and dairy.

Fat dropped off me.

I now do boxing & Muay Thai + a few compound weights to assist that, about 14 hours a week.

My experience was the first 2 weeks after going vegan my muscles flattened out, but then my body suddenly adapted & my muscles were more full than when I was eating meat etc.

Personally I don’t take any supplements - I might take B12 and/or creatine.

I’ve experimented with being fussy about protein combining (rice + beans etc) and also not worrying about it - and for me it makes no difference. I just eat a varied whole food diet & my body combines what I eat in a day, week etc to build muscle.

I was the last person I thought would go vegan, I was entirely converted to eating animal products. I went vegan to see how it’d improve chronic pain. All the performance improvement was a total surprise!

Another surprise was how clear & calm I felt mentally - that happened very quickly - within 4 days. I remember the day that kicked in & saying to my girlfriend “I feel serene, like unbelievably calm”

Gnarly aggression & irritability I used to feel a lot went away. I now see that as common sense - the conditions of factory farming & the animal suffering fill the meat with adrenaline & cortisol… and guess where that goes when you eat it.

That’s been my experience, and I could recommend loads of documentaries to watch, but the best way to find out is just to give it a try for 2 months & find out for yourself.

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

???

Yeah , that’s how it works

Muscles flattened from more carbs?

Haha I totally missed that gem the first time I breezed through it!

Seraphim, I’ll say again:

That’s been my experience, and I could recommend loads of documentaries to watch, but the best way to find out is just to give it a try for 2 months & find out for yourself.

If you have a fragile ego, which comes down to fear - it’s hard to swim against the tide. What will others think of you if you do something different to them?

For others, their sense of self is so ingrained by what others have been telling them to do all their lives, that doing things differently is just too disruptive - and they can’t handle letting go of ingrained thinking.

Perhaps just give something a try & see how it works… what’s your worst fear? You’ll lose some muscle & strength? That you’d quickly regain if that happened, anyway?

Let go of all that fear, buddy :slight_smile: