Going to Start New Rules of Lifting: Have a Question

Should I be doing one of the four “Lifter” workouts like lifter 1, lifter 2, etc. that focuses on varying parts of the program like fat loss 1 and hypertrophy 2? Or should I be doing just the hypertrophy workouts if that is what I want instead of “Fat Loss” or “Strenght?”

Im not sure I understand your question…

But if you want to gain mass, obviously you should do a program focusing on that?

Was that the question? lol :S

^ x2. I don’t know what programs you’re referring to. Maybe you could say what exactly these programs prescribe.

I feel that most pre-written programs are not worth following. Intelligently creating your own “program” is almost always better.

Hell of a first post.

Is that the Alwyn Cosgrove book? I’d be surprised if more than half a dozen posters read it. Maybe Bricknice or that guy who’s always asking (rightfully so) for a fitness forum (BBriere?).

I skimmed through that book and if you’ll ask me seemed too complicated. Well not really THAT complicated, and Cosgrove knows his stuff, but if it is hypertrophy you want you can set up something much simpler. You probably didn’t even read the book anyway, just looked at the programs and ignored the rest.

Why don’t you go read “The Best of T-Nation” (particularly the bible and CC’s thread) and maybe CT’s “How to build a damm good program” and get back to us.

Sorry for not really answering your question, I’d like to tell you "yes, just do hypertrophy I and II and III but I honestly don’t remember how they are set up.

[quote]Eric 2.0 wrote:
^ x2. I don’t know what programs you’re referring to. Maybe you could say what exactly these programs prescribe.

I feel that most pre-written programs are not worth following. Intelligently creating your own “program” is almost always better. [/quote]
That’s kind of an utopia. Most noobs if any can’t even “intelligently” follow a program less alone create one.

Better to stick with an idiot proof proven routine and do some reading in the meantime, so they get some practical and theoretical knowledge to effectively design their own program.

[quote]knee-gro wrote:

[quote]Eric 2.0 wrote:

I feel that most pre-written programs are not worth following. Intelligently creating your own “program” is almost always better. [/quote]
That’s kind of an utopia. Most noobs if any can’t even “intelligently” follow a program less alone create one.

Better to stick with an idiot proof proven routine and do some reading in the meantime, so they get some practical and theoretical knowledge to effectively design their own program.
[/quote]

Good point, and true IF this guy is a noob. I thought he wasn’t because this isn’t in the “beginners” forum (again utopian thinking), but then again he is asking this question. Which is why I made a point to say “almost always better” and “intelligently”.

If he is not yet capable of designing his own program, I will be happy to help.

[quote]cwenbass wrote:
Should I be doing one of the four “Lifter” workouts like lifter 1, lifter 2, etc. that focuses on varying parts of the program like fat loss 1 and hypertrophy 2? Or should I be doing just the hypertrophy workouts if that is what I want instead of “Fat Loss” or “Strenght?”[/quote]

This is a very good book for any of those interested, Alywn knows his stuff!

Anyway…

@ the OP. A good place to start is at the START! Then work your way through the programmes as the book suggests.

If you are an experienced trainee you should be capable of understanding the layout of the programmes and as such be able to pick which one would most suit your goals at this current time.

However’ judging by your question it is likely that you are inexperienced so my advice still stands, start from the start!

P.S. Knowledge is power my friend so READ the book and all will become clear…

I’m assuming you’re a woman if you’re talking about the same book as I’m thinking of:

This forum will help better:

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/

there are two versions of the book, one for males and another for females. It is a great book for beginners and the programs are decent. If you want some basic all over mass, sure follow his hypertrophy program.