Going to See an Endocrinologist

I have an appointment in a couple of days, I was just wondering is there anything that I can say or do to make sure that I can get HGH for my low bone density.

Not enough info. Bone problems are more often a result of sex hormone problems.

Go to amazon.com and get Eugene Shippen’s “The Testosterone Syndrome”

This belongs on the over 35 lifter forum.

That’s the thing, I’m only 28. I have been diagnosed with having osteopenia, which is the onset of osteoperosis. It also runs in my family, and I have a low T score. And since I workout on a somewhat obessive basis all this is very unusual.

With Low T, and Bone density issues you want to get prescribed GH?

That’s what I’ve been trying to do, I was just curious if there’s anything I could say or do that would get this doctor to give it to me. What I’m fixing to do is just tell him that either he helps me or I’m going to self medicate, but I would rather be under a doctors care for the duration of it.

Well why don’t you practice selling your point on us. So far you have not made any feasible argument justifying HGH for improving bone density. If you can’t convince us, you won’t get far with your doc.

[quote]kplummer wrote:
That’s what I’ve been trying to do, I was just curious if there’s anything I could say or do that would get this doctor to give it to me. What I’m fixing to do is just tell him that either he helps me or I’m going to self medicate, but I would rather be under a doctors care for the duration of it.[/quote]

Ya… maybe i’ll re-phrase that one sparky;

So you have low Testosterone, you also have some form of Osteoporosis, both of which are indicated in Testosterone therapy, and you are trying to get Growth hormone?

I have Asthma, so i went to the doctor for cortico-steroids.

Now do you see where i am going with this…?

I don’t need steriods, I have several mental problems and to help improve my mood the HGH will help. I wasn’t trying to convince yall that I need them, I was just curious of what I need to say to an endo to make sure that I can get the HGH.

Well, as was said - if you can’t convince us, what makes you think you can convince a ‘professional’?

Lets try once more - i will be the endo, and you can play you:

1. Tell me sir, why should i prescribe you a very expensive and (likely) government monitored hormone that is generally prescribed for growth development in pre-pubescent children?

2. May i remind you i am an Endocrinologist, maybe you’d be better off with a psychiatrist?

3. Have you spoken to your psychiatrist about wanting or needing rHGH? What did he/she think?

4. What are the symptoms and how does GH relate to assisting the cessation of this problem or it’s symptoms?

JJ

I’m 28 yrs old, I’ve been working out and a pretty much constint basis since I was 18. My diet is solid, I take my vitamins, I drink plenty of milk, plus there is extra vitamin D and calcuim in my protein shakes. I hardly drink caffinated beverages. I’m depressed and I’m on anti depressants, that of which have been changed again and again after about six months or longer on each. I have a low sex drive, but I don’t have any ED disorders. Because of my workout routine and the fact that I get more calcium and vitamin D than most people and I don’t want some drug high in estrogen to fix my osteopina. And if you doctor don’t help me, than unfortunately I would have to self medicate.

And how is GH indicated over a testosterone replacement in your circumstances? I mean everything to me suggests you’d benefit from some form of Test increase… both with the bone disorder, the psych issues and the low testosterone.

“…I have been diagnosed with having osteopenia, which is the onset of osteoperosis…”

Men are treated with Testosterone for osteoporosis. I am beginning to think you are a troll.

“…I have a low T score…”

Testosterone Replacement Therapy is what is generally prescribed here.

“…Since I workout on a somewhat obessive basis all this is very unusual…”

If that were true, then no-one would get TRT, just referrals to PT’s. While exercise is shown to raise many anabolic hormones, it won’t be near enough - especially seeing as you train already.

“…I’m depressed and I’m on anti depressants, that of which have been changed again and again after about six months or longer on each…”

Maybe this suggests that the problem is not related to Seratonin/Dopamine or whatever type of AD you have used. Maybe it is related to the low test level you have.

“…I have a low sex drive, but I don’t have any ED disorders…”

Again, this is indicative of a low Testosterone (DHT) level… low enough to reduce libido, high enough to give you a hard on occasionally.

“…I don’t want some drug high in estrogen to fix my osteopina…”

I am not sure about ‘Osteopina’ but from what little i know about osteroporosis, estrogen would be contra-indicated, in men osteoporosis is primarily caused or worsened by a drop in the levels of test as we age.

“…I would have to self medicate…”

Whether that is Steroids or GH, it could end up a damn site cheaper than prescribed pharmaceutical sources.

Can you see that what you are wanting is not going to be granted? That you want one thing, when another is needed?

It is all well and good if i want Opioids for my broken leg, but when a cast is needed… which is best? The pain relief is beneficial, but not really indicated - but the cast will help recovery in the long term, preventing it from re-occuring. I’d have the cast even though the opiates would be much preferred.

Brook

Low free testosterone definitely contributes to osteopenia (as well as depression) whereas I don’t know if low igf-1 (HGH marker) does. Do you have documented proof that HGH is a factor here.

Hell look at me. I was also diagnosed with osteopenia after years of low free T. I also suffered from low morale. I hope you aren’t also restricting your diet to stricktly low carb too?

Are you honestly trying to advise this guy when you have similar issues and don’t know what causes them?

Are YOU on low carb?!

LOL, great research. You will probably be offered a bisphosphonate or/and teriparatide

[quote]kplummer wrote:
I don’t need steriods, I have several mental problems and to help improve my mood the HGH will help. I wasn’t trying to convince yall that I need them, I was just curious of what I need to say to an endo to make sure that I can get the HGH. [/quote]

Ok talking about your mental problems and demanding that the doc give it to you or you will just do it anyways is not bright. With your health and mental problems maybe you just need to try and handle that and just be healthy.

I mean what are you trying to accomplish? Are you wanting to bodybuild? Getting labeled as a drug seeker will get you blackballed from anything that you ask for because they think that you might have a problem. Anyways just tell the dr’s your problems and let him fix you first.

[quote] Brook wrote:
And how is GH indicated over a testosterone replacement in your circumstances? I mean everything to me suggests you’d benefit from some form of Test increase… both with the bone disorder, the psych issues and the low testosterone.

“…I have been diagnosed with having osteopenia, which is the onset of osteoperosis…”

Men are treated with Testosterone for osteoporosis. I am beginning to think you are a troll.

“…I have a low T score…”

If that were true, then no-one would get TRT, just referrals to PT’s. While exercise is shown to raise many anabolic hormones, it won’t be near enough - especially seeing as you train already.

“…I’m depressed and I’m on anti depressants, that of which have been changed again and again after about six months or longer on each…”

Maybe this suggests that the problem is not related to Seratonin/Dopamine or whatever type of AD you have used. Maybe it is related to the low test level you have.

Again, this is indicative of a low Testosterone (DHT) level… low enough to reduce libido, high enough to give you a hard on occasionally.

I am not sure about ‘Osteopina’ but from what little i know about osteroporosis, estrogen would be contra-indicated, in men osteoporosis is primarily caused or worsened by a drop in the levels of test as we age.

Whether that is Steroids or GH, it could end up a damn site cheaper than prescribed pharmaceutical sources.

Can you see that what you are wanting is not going to be granted? That you want one thing, when another is needed?

It is all well and good if i want Opioids for my broken leg, but when a cast is needed… which is best? The pain relief is beneficial, but not really indicated - but the cast will help recovery in the long term, preventing it from re-occuring. I’d have the cast even though the opiates would be much preferred.

Brook[/quote]

Brook, well said man. You always have great posts.

[quote] Brook wrote:

“…I have a low T score…”

Brook[/quote]

I must say that is a brilliant post.

Very well put, nice layout.