T Nation

Going to Darfur

Edited for stoopid

It’ll be hard to pull it off on $2,000 alone. Try to scrape up more cash first. Then get the cheapest charter flight to Egypt (last minute tickets go for peanuts!). From there, you’re pretty much a bus ride away from Khartoum.

Once there, try to stay under the radar. The authorities won’t bug for delivering aid, but if they smell political involment, it’ll be another story. Keep in mind that since the country’s independence in 1956, 4/5ths of their history was spent in civil wars (the deadliest in recent memory). The resulting political system is highly authoritarian, so don’t take any chances.

And bring along a raincoat.

Best of luck,

/lixy

Don’t get shot or kidnapped by the mujahideen.
Winston Churchill, writing 100 years ago, provides some great historical background:

How little the situation has changed.

Oh yeah, and read this:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2005/04/the_living_legacy_of_jihad_sla.html

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well, that was just the Islamic slave trade in sub-Saharan African slaves. He didn’t even cover the scope of European slaves captured by the Muslims in pirate raids:

Andrew Bostom’s a great guy and a brave man. I met him a couple of months ago.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Between the dozens of splinter rebel groups, militias, and ordinary bandits you will have quite a task getting the bulk of your aid where it is intended, much less holding on to your camera equipment for the entirety of the trip. From what I understand the loss rates for aid deliveries are quite high for even the best organized and most professional organizations.

If I were you I would find some veterans of specifically Darfur (as opposed to South Sudan which has a different dynamic) oriented aid and/or journalism and find out from them what you’re up against.

Before going, ask yourself why doing this is considered somehow ‘noble’, yet staying and trying to make yourself the best you can be is of no moral import.

The world will always have this sort of stuff, miseries like this. One reason is that the people who destroy know that someone will step up and try to make things right. What if they don’t?

The victims will all die and the murderers will all die when they run out of victims and start murdering each other. Let them all die. You can’t stop it and are wasting your time trying.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
…He didn’t even cover the scope of European slaves captured by the Muslims in pirate raids…

Yes, he did. In the latter half of the article.

Sounds like Genghis Khan had nothing on the Ottomans and Iranians when it came to devastating eastern Europe and the steppes of central and western Asia. [/quote]

Ghengis Khan’s horde actually assimilated into the local population over time, so I’d agree.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
…He didn’t even cover the scope of European slaves captured by the Muslims in pirate raids…

Sounds like Genghis Khan had nothing on the Ottomans and Iranians when it came to devastating eastern Europe and the steppes of central and western Asia. [/quote]

damn straight. Though the Mongols did conquer the largest land empire in history, so they weren’t too shabby.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
pushharder wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

Sounds like Genghis Khan had nothing on the Ottomans and Iranians when it came to devastating eastern Europe and the steppes of central and western Asia.

Ghengis Khan’s horde actually assimilated into the local population over time, so I’d agree. [/quote]

Wonder what would have happened had Birkai not become a muslim.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Before going, ask yourself why doing this is considered somehow ‘noble’, yet staying and trying to make yourself the best you can be is of no moral import.

The world will always have this sort of stuff, miseries like this. One reason is that the people who destroy know that someone will step up and try to make things right. What if they don’t?

The victims will all die and the murderers will all die when they run out of victims and start murdering each other. Let them all die. You can’t stop it and are wasting your time trying.[/quote]

while it may be noble to help another at your own expence. Africa’s problems stems from too much aid given from western countries (and historical interference from western countries in general). That allowed for too many people in land without the recources to care for them all. My own personal view on certain parts of Africa (like darfur) is that if you aren’t helping people get out of that god forsaken lad, you aren’t helping them at all. Just prolonging the suffering.

[quote]NickRageSkursky wrote:
Me and a few other guys are planning to go to Darfur to make a film to spread awareness of what’s happening there. We’ll go to Chad, a neighboring country, to give food and medical supplies to folks in refugee camps. We’ve been talking to local hospitals and such and so far they’ve offered $250,000 worth of medical supplies and $2,000 for expenses.

We’re not quite sure of the best way to get there. Any ideas or other advice?

http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/alert/darfur/contents/01-overview/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3496731.stm
[/quote]

If you’re serious, send me a PM and I’ll try to put you into contact with people I know who’ve done some work in the Sudan. I think most of the people I know have worked in the South, but they should be able to provide insights and contacts throughout the country.

Are you going with an organization or alone?

Looks like Islamic slavery is spreading to the US now as well:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/ap_on_re_af/the_slave_next_door

This isn’t the first of these cases I’ve seen.

edit

The UN’s covering you. Sounds like there’s nothing to worry about. Those boys in blue helmets mean business.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
We contacted the UN. They are willing to extract us in case of emergency.

The UN’s covering you. Sounds like there’s nothing to worry about. Those boys in blue helmets mean business. [/quote]

it’s better than renting camels… unless we got the new model with the armor upgrade…

PRCalDude wrote:

The UN’s covering you. Sounds like there’s nothing to worry about. Those boys in blue helmets mean business.

it’s better than renting camels… unless we got the new model with the armor upgrade…[/quote]

Uh, actually I’d put a lot more faith in the camels. They can carry a lot of guns, too.

What you really need is advanced warning of when the mujahideen are on their way. The best way to accomplish this is through bribing someone on their local rape/pillage/enslave route who’s a known Muslim that they’ll ignore.

There’s always the chance he’ll double-cross you, take your money, and tell them that you’re there so they can kidnap you for ransom or a little Danny Pearl action, though.

Another idea is to build a backpack sized UAV with a camera and keep it aloft while you’re in the area to watch the roads. If you have it high enough, you can see a pretty long way off.

Bump.

I thought I’d give an update on our progress…

We’ll be flying into Chad via France, driving west to several Chadian refugee camps near the border to deliver med supplies etc, crossing the border into Sudan, and filming/photographing whatever we find.

We found the obligatory paperwork we’ll need along with necessary vaccines.

We’ve decided to stream all of our media to a counterpart at home because the last group that was caught taking pictures had all cameras and gear confiscated.

We’re still short on funds but we have plenty of time for that.

CNN somehow found out about us and sent us an e-mail telling us they want an interview shortly before we leave, possibly another while we’re in Sudan, and a third when (if) we return home.

There is one big issue we’re still debating.

Armed or unarmed? We’ve decided to wear concealed body armor, but we disagree on whether to carry (concealed, of course).

We are not going there to start a war, but, if we’re caught by the janjaweed, we’ll very likely be killed and we feel like we’d be better off if we can return fire in case they attack us. However, I can’t think of anything concealable that will match up against an AK-47. (The best I’ve come up with is a P90 with an under-arm sling, kind of like an old gangster sawed-off whipit shotgun.)

On the other hand, from a political standpoint, if we’re searched by police or gov. folks, being armed would be bad for us.

Basically, the question is if carrying small weapons is valuable enough to risk being discovered by bad guys.

Personally, I’m leading towards unarmed.[/quote]

Wow! This is good stuff your doing…God bless you keep us updated on your progress.