T Nation

Going to College for Personal Training

I’m looking to become a personal trainer sometime in the future, and I was wondering if it’s worth going to college and getting a degree in kinesiology or what have you OR becoming certified through NSCA/ACE/etc. I don’t want to build up student loans through college if I don’t even have to take that route.

NSCA-LIFT.ORG

go to college for something else to diversify yourself. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. With the way everyone’s finances are going trainers will be a luxury most wont consider.

You could always major in nutrition so that way if you decide to become a PT you will be able to provide training and diet services and be paid for both.

I wouldn’t do college for it if I were you. Stick with one of the accredited agency’s for it. And to be honest I wouldn’t even worry about trying to be a trainer unless your in a big city. I used to live in miami and it was all i could do to get a day off, now i live in southeastern VA and haven’t had a steady client for months. Thank goodness training is only a hobby, if i relied on it for a paycheck I’d be screwed!

Patrick,

I own a gym (in Indiana-www.clubfitness24.com)and always looking for talented people. If you are interested let me know?

I can vouch for Chad, Good Guy and one hell of a strongman competitor.