T Nation

Going to be a Father!

I rarely talk about my personal life on T-Nation, so few of you probably know that I was recently married to my fiancee of 6 years on June 19th. I just found out last Saturday that she was pregnant, and I was going to be a Dad for the first time.

Besides simply being happy and wanting to share my news, I wanted to see if anyone had any kind of advice that I may not be aware that could serve useful for my wife, as well as my baby on the way.

I know that a solid prenatal as well as folic acid and fish oil are a given. Are there any others that have proven to be beneficial or important as well? Also, does anyone know of any risks of conjugated linoleic acid which is in Flameout to pregnant women? I know that’s perhaps a silly questions considering that CLA is found in dairy…but still, better safe than sorry.

I’ve also heard conflicting things about exercise. Some articles I’ve read have suggested no lifting, while others have encouraged it with lighter weight and higher reps and as she progresses to avoid any exercise which has her on her back or at risk to fall or drop a weight on her stomach.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Congratulations!! Fatherhood is a pretty amazing thing!

As far as your other questions, I would listen to your wife’s OBGYN on any and all issues related to the baby - I wouldn’t take random advice from board members.

Best of luck - your life will change, but the love you will feel for your child makes it all worth it. It’s like nothing you’ve ever felt before!

Alcohol and tobacco in moderation.

and good job.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Congratulations!! Fatherhood is a pretty amazing thing!

As far as your other questions, I would listen to your wife’s OBGYN on any and all issues related to the baby - I wouldn’t take random advice from board members.

Best of luck - your life will change, but the love you will feel for your child makes it all worth it. It’s like nothing you’ve ever felt before! [/quote]

Thanks Sky Nett! I also just wanted to say that I certainly wouldn’t even consider blindly following someone’s advice without research and then clearing it with her OBGYN. I just know that there must be some info out there that I normally wouldn’t come into contact with and just wanted some specific things to research on my own.

Davinci -

CONGRATULATIONS! We recently had our 3rd kid. It’s just awesome every time.

re: advice — Talk to your doctor. Period.

All I can say other than that is “Don’t overthink it”. We (humans) have been doing this millions of years in all manner of environments and situations. It just works. :wink:

Oh, yeah… Enjoy your sleep now…

My wife exercised throughout her pregnancy and everything went fine. In fact, she was out lifting the older dude beside her on the due date (kid born 10 days later). My wife did lift lighter for her but definitely more than the books and magazines said. She said she benefited from taking prenatal yoga.

My wife and I both had this in mind. You hold your 7 to 10+ pound bundle of joy a lot in the first months. You better be comfortable holding her/him for long stretches. Get your arms, shoulders and upper back in order.

Awesome! Babies…I love 'em.

Does she currently work? If so, plan ahead for the possibility of her not working for an extended period (years). What would the financial situation look like?

IMO, there are strong developmental benefits in the early years and the pull of children has convinced many women (and men…a few stay ay home dads in my neighborhood) to make the switch to full time parent.

I don’t know about your girl but mine needed to take a lot of iron during her pregnancy. If she does, spring for the liquid iron. Less chance of inducing nausea. We used Floradix’s Floravital available at any health food store (ie: Henry’s, Trader Joe, etc.) I’d make her blended smoothies and add the iron in with it.

Give the fiance regular foot massages voluntarily. She’ll appreciate them.

Congratulations, dude! Being a father is probably the highest notch on my wall.

Congrats!

I was off work and bored today so I did some research on CLA and pregnancy… and there is none. They say just to eat foods containing CLA normally since there has not been any research on CLA supplements while being pregnant.

Congrats

Being a father has changed my life for the better.

She can do cardio, treadmills, elipticals, walking, low impact stuff. I wouldnt suggest lifting. Maybe some bodyweight stuffs. I dont know, I’m no expert but when my wife was going through it, she would walk a lot. She’s stayed in pretty good shape during and directly after.

Good luck, I hope all goes well. I have thing that all men need to learn to manage in terms of fatherhood; patience. You’re gonna need a lot of it. Especially if this is your first child.

No advice, but congratulations!

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
No advice, but congratulations![/quote]

What do you mean “no advice”??

You ALWAYS have advice, Emily!!!

What a letdown:(

CONGRATS OP!!!

Man, I wouldn’t even know what to suggest to a pregnant woman other than ‘try to eat healthy’ and ‘dont do anything too strenuous’ -lol.

But more importantly,… Congrats brother. That’s got to be a hell of a good feeling!

S

Remember the first night or 2 in the hospital if you need help with anything the nurses will do almost anything for you, it’s a bit of a shock the first time you deal with it. And those first few diaper changes, good god. I gag at the thought of that black tar.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve already given a lot of advice today. I’m not a machine, you know!

No advice here, but congratulations man!

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve already given a lot of advice today. I’m not a machine, you know![/quote]

I don’t feel you reached your quota for today, Mrs. Snippypants!

Congrats OP! I hope everything goes to plan and works well for you!

My wife is 27 weeks now and has basically been doing everything she did before pregnancy. Front squatting, deadlifting with a trap bar, bench, military, pushing the prowler (no low handles since about week 15 though), etc. Her pregnancy has been going very well.

That is not advice, just an anecdote.

Congrats on the new addition.
What I learned through school and my wifes pregnancy is that if she was lifting prior to being pregnant she can continue until told not to by the Dr, however ask the OBGYN incase there may be some unknown reason she shouldn’t. Avoid exercises that put the stomach in any compromising/dangerous positions. My wife played golf until she couldn’t reach the club with both hands.

Good advise is to not skimp on the belly cream, use the good stuff and lots of it to avoid streatch marks. My wife 5’6" 115 lbs gained almost 50lbs and never got streatch marks.