T Nation

Going on 40 but Trying To Get Back to 20!

So I was 6 months way from turing 40 and decided that I needed to set some fitness goals. I am 5’7 and was 230 pounds (set FB% 35%). I was not working out at all. Since January, I have started working out minimally 3 days, max 5 alternating major muscle groups.

At first, my diet was focused on adding muscle, which I added 10lbs and dropped 10 lbs of fat. Two weeks ago, I decided to change my diet to encourage fat loss. My diet went to 1300 cals with a good mix of protein, carb, and fats. After 10 days, I was shocked to see I dropped 7 lbs. I remember hearing that over 2 lbs loss per week can be unhealthy.

So, my question is, is a 7 lbs pound loss normal for someone starting lifting again? While it does not look like I am loosing muscle, it is possible that I am burning muscle to make up for the low cal diet?

To me 1700-1800 calories a day is a low calorie diet…you are not eating enough. You can’t do this in a month. This is a process over time.

I like lifting, why make it a hell?

Hi, Mike. Bodyweight can fluctuate pretty wildly just on its own. My own BW can go up 2 lbs and down 4 lbs within a couple of days, even if I eat consistently. I would check weight day to day and average it out.

If you’re really overfat and go on a good diet, you can start losing pretty quickly, but it slows down. Would help if you post your eating for a day.

Cals are way too low. To answer your question, yeah. If you’re eating 1300 cals, your body will catabolize the muscle. Do some research. Drown in water intake. Like a gallon and a half a day. Follow a “green face” plan. If it is green or had a face, eat it. Otherwise, no go. But TONS of protein. Tons.

If you’re still carrying a decent amount of “non-contractile mass”, you can probably spare most of your muscle while dropping the fat. But if you don’t have the protein for it, it won’t happen.

You also need some GOOD fats.

Lots of stuff on T-Nation about dieting. Read it up but don’t look for this to be fixed in even 6 months. Think how long it took you to put it on. Give your body a LITTLE time to take it off at least.

Check this article out

[quote]greystoke wrote:
To me 1700-1800 calories a day is a low calorie diet…you are not eating enough. You can’t do this in a month. This is a process over time.

I like lifting, why make it a hell?[/quote]
X2