T Nation

going from 11 to 7%..need help

I’m stuck from a while at 10/11% bf.Need help!I’d like to start a hiit program but after reading the thread left me a little confused…What’s the best way to lose fat :Berardi style or Joel/Tabata’s?I’ve another problem with my right rotator cuff that precludes me upper body training for at least 2 more months because of physio treatment.How many sprint trainings I’d need and what eating style is best T/Dawg;fat fast;zone…?How should I mix leg w/training with hiit training to have best results?
Thanks

I’m in a similar boat to you. In your case, I would opt for the longer interval training sessions (20-30 min with a 1:3 work:rest ratio). Lift 3-4 times a week with 5x5 heavy structure and get in at least 3-4 interval sessions and 1-2 less intense cardio sessions. I’m using a typical Ian King 4 day split, Quad dominant legs, vertical push/pull, hip dominant legs, horizontal push/pull. I can post my exact workout later, but I’ve gotta get to work.

You will get good results from either protocol; however, I like to get my interval workout over ASAP, that’s why I go with shorter rest periods. A shorter program with shorter rest periods will probably be more challenging, but the longer program is definitly more intense. As Berardi and I both concluded via email “It probably won’t make a lick of difference as far as measurable progress is concerned.” Having said that, I recommend 2-3 HIIT sessions weekly, and as Jason stated, possibly another low intensity session (although I don’t see it neccesary).

I don’t know the extent of your rotator cuff injury, but I had a problem with my right rotator cuff last year. My ART doctor said to work my lats every workout. So, four times a week I did some sort of horizontal row, for four sets of ten. This helped a great deal. I don’t know if it’d work for you but maybe it’s worth a try.

Jason…I would like to see your workout. Much thanks to you and Joel and everyone else that takes the time to reply to this forum. Man, I have learned soooo much from T-mag and the forum. But it’s like a big puzzle, and putting all the pieces together is some times confusing. The forum helps to make it clearer.

I’m glad we can help bro; it’s the only reason that I post here- to help. (I also learn quite a bit myself)

Wow, I totally missed your rotator cuff injury. Can you do any sort of upper body work at all?

Anyway, here is what I'm currently doing:

M - Hip Dominant Legs
Power Cleans 5x3
Deadlifts 5x5
Swiss Ball Sit-ups 5x5
20 min Interval 1:3 work:rest ratio

T - Vertical Push/Pull
DB Military 5x5
Med Grip Chins 5x5
Close Grip Bench 5x5
Rotator Cuff work
Side Press 5x5
20 min interval training 3:1

W - off, maybe some basketball

R - Quad Dom Legs
Squats 5x5
Calf Raises 5x5
Straight Leg Raises 5x5
20 min interval training 1:3

F - Horizontal Push/Pull
Bench Press 5x5
Cable Row 5x5
Barbell Curls 5x5
Rotator Cuff Work
Wood Chops 5x5
20 min interval 1:3

Sa & Su - basketball or rest

Diet is slightly below maintenance. Massive Eating style. 35% P, 40% C, 25% F. No supplements right now aside from Surge and Creatine.

I'm preparing for an all out 12 week assalt on mass building starting June 3. I'd like to get down to 8% before then and I'm sitting on 10% right now.

That is it right now. Hope this helps!