Going Down

[quote]
Have you ever actually taught anyone to squat? Just wondering, because the box squat is probably the EASIEST way to teach someone to squat properly. I’ve tried BNS squat bands, broomstick squats for reps, quarter squats increasing depth, you name it. And nothing compares with the ease of box squats. [/quote]

Yes both in person, and online. Men women and children yes. ISure boxes are great IF she knows somewhat how to squat and has someone there who knows how to squat and box squat without injury.

I simply find the best way to teach someonew to squat is to well have them squat, ands sqaut some more. Then next week well lets squat. It quickly gets much better just the motor fuction the body learning the movement and then you can ID weaknesses.

[quote]
Also, you say she shouldn’t box squat becase she’ll have to lower the load, and then you tell her to lower the load to learn the form properly. Doesn’t click in my book.[/quote]

Yes I said she shouldnt becuase she’d have to lower the load. Why because she all ready needs to lower the load just to learn to regular sqaut, good chance that she cant go any lower than the low she needs to go to for regular sqauts.

Now if were talking bodyweight box sqauts sure. Im a fan for beginners and hell even practicing firing the right musclature getting out of chairs, off the shitter etc. I just dont like the idea of a newbie how is likely weak everywhere learning alone putting anytype of load on their back and plopping down on a box. Just dont want to see any one get hurt when they dont need to.

[quote]Phill wrote:

Have you ever actually taught anyone to squat? Just wondering, because the box squat is probably the EASIEST way to teach someone to squat properly. I’ve tried BNS squat bands, broomstick squats for reps, quarter squats increasing depth, you name it. And nothing compares with the ease of box squats.

Yes both in person, and online. Men women and children yes. ISure boxes are great IF she knows somewhat how to squat and has someone there who knows how to squat and box squat without injury.

I simply find the best way to teach someonew to squat is to well have them squat, ands sqaut some more. Then next week well lets squat. It quickly gets much better just the motor fuction the body learning the movement and then you can ID weaknesses.

Also, you say she shouldn’t box squat becase she’ll have to lower the load, and then you tell her to lower the load to learn the form properly. Doesn’t click in my book.

Yes I said she shouldnt becuase she’d have to lower the load. Why because she all ready needs to lower the load just to learn to regular sqaut, good chance that she cant go any lower than the low she needs to go to for regular sqauts.

Now if were talking bodyweight box sqauts sure. Im a fan for beginners and hell even practicing firing the right musclature getting out of chairs, off the shitter etc. I just dont like the idea of a newbie how is likely weak everywhere learning alone putting anytype of load on their back and plopping down on a box. Just dont want to see any one get hurt when they dont need to.

[/quote]

I still maintain its easier and more comfortable for someone new to the movement to learn to box squat than to squat regularly. And it’s not like regular squats have some huge advantage over box squatting. You can effectively use a box squat to teach someone depth, how to sit back properly, and they are much less likely to round they’re back to achieve depth.

They are more confident in sitting back and going to the right depth because of the box, whereas teaching them by having them squat more and hoping they learn the motor pattern properly is speculative. “I’m having trouble learning to squat”
“Well then you should squat more often”
Just doesn’t seem like the most educated response to me.

And your last part makes no sense whatsoever. Try typing that out again. Maybe I’m just reading it wrong. If you’re trying to say that she is more likely to injure herself with box squats, I’d sure as hell like to know how.

As far as I can tell, its because you “don’t like the idea”. While thats fine for you (personal preference), its not a valid reason for someone that has expressed no preference, and is merely looking for the most effective means.

Sure not a prob and I agree with the above in part that its may at times be easier and effective and even safe to TEACH, help someone to learn to squat box squatting but Not alone.

Ok on the injury part. Load on back in rack Pins set to catch load if you say fall back forward etc. the bar stay there you simply fall on your ass with no box.

Now Box squatting. Bar/load on back. You lose form control, dont know what you are doing. You lose it, your ass slams on a box. the weight on your back isnt taken by a pin as this happens it has that momentum and put a LARGE amount of force down on the back Not good.

Thats what im talking about. The higher potential to injur your self if you srew up and lose form footing etc. On the box as opposed to sans box.