Going Deaf From my iPod

[quote]tnationmuscle wrote:
I’d imagine that in about 30 years from now there will be more people with hearing loss because so many people use headphones now. Just a guess.[/quote]

I’m waiting for that to happen too :stuck_out_tongue:

Get some Skull Candy earbuds and you won’t have to crank it up to drown out the gym noise anymore.

my hearing has decreased because of my mp3 player… i max it most of the time.

[quote]Petermus wrote:
my hearing has decreased because of my mp3 player… i max it most of the time.[/quote]

as bad as it is, i pretty much do the same i don’t really like listening to music unless I’m engrossed in it.

I don’t really mind the slight hearing loss, it’s the constant ringing and frequent pain that’s bothering me. I can’t sleep in total silence anymore, I have to swith on a fan so as to drown the ringing noise.

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
I don’t really mind the slight hearing loss, it’s the constant ringing and frequent pain that’s bothering me. I can’t sleep in total silence anymore, I have to swith on a fan so as to drown the ringing noise.[/quote]

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
SSC wrote:
Yes, thar ringing may be your tympanic membrance losing its recognition of that particular sound.

I can’t pass a hearing test - I’ve had really, really bad hearing my entire life because of wicked ear infections as a kid. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone else. Half the time I’m just smiling and nodding, with no clue about what people are saying.

haha…you sound just like me. I was born with a severe hearing loss. Put me near some background noise and I can’t hear shit all of what people are saying. I get tired of asking people to repeat themselves, so smile and laugh/nod seems to usually work.[/quote]

Right. So damned annoying. I try to lay plenty of caution to people when talking about extreme noises. Hearing loss REALLY BLOWS.

I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to miss conversations so regularly that I think I need to take the plunge and get some farking hearing aids.

More and more people are having hearing loss all due to the invention of the ipod and mp3 players. Its not the technology fault, but the fact that people listen to the music to loud.

You might have Tinnitus…google it.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
Taufiq wrote:
I don’t really mind the slight hearing loss, it’s the constant ringing and frequent pain that’s bothering me. I can’t sleep in total silence anymore, I have to swith on a fan so as to drown the ringing noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus[/quote]

Thanks

I’m glad you guys aren’t blaming this on the i-pods and mp3’s

It’s just simply being negligent and not reading the precautions required.

I mean, you don’t have to read the owner’s manual or anything, but, atleast look out for common negative effects from the earphones.

Either way if you lost your hearing, that sucks, else, if not, try to avert any chance of it happening.

You could just deal with the music they play at the gym for an hour and concentrate on your lifts and not have to worry about not being able to hear. But I understand if Lady Gaga comes on I can understand how you would want to be deaf even though when she comes on I think of her nakei!

Wow. I get my hearing checked yearly because I work in noisy environments and it’s always perfect, though I am quite anal about ensuring I wear ear protection.

For work I dropped the cash on some custom molded ear plugs with filters so that it’s easier to hear people but still blocks everything else, worth every penny. I wish I had done it years ago. Because I wear a radio at both jobs I also have a custom plug that works with the radio, also a great investment.

I motorcycle a lot (I actually teach motorcycling as well) and when on the bike on teh highway I usually wear my open face helmet so the noise can get into hearing loss levels pretty quickly. As a result I wear either my Shure headphones (best noise blocking ones I’ve found) or a set of custom molded headphones from earplug superstore (crap customer service but a good product).

I’ve also had the decibel output tested with both those headphone sets and my mp3 player to ensure that when I turn it on I’m not into hearing loss levels since sometimes I’ll do 10-16 hour days on the bike and even 90dB will give me noticeable loss in that time frame.

I can’t believe how lacksidasical some people are about protecting their hearing.

STU

i was pretty damn uncaring about my hearing while working at the airport. I used to stand right under jets capable of 120dB, and did not wear ear protection. Thankfully, I still have pretty good hearing- I got pretty lucky for me being a moron.