T Nation

Going Back to the Gym

I've worked out for few years before I stopped for a while 7 months ago due to some personal problems (I was very weak mentally so I couldn't recover and get my ass back to where it belonged). Now that I feel like sorting out my life back one of the main things that I want to do is to gain back my strength and lose these flabs that I managed to collect.

Went to the gym today and after doing some warm ups, I started to load up the bar for deadlifts. I got too excited and just slapped on nearly as much weight as my working set last year. And as you can expect, I couldn't even budge the thing off the floor, but I didn't give up and tried again several times after that. Then I realised how dangerous this can be so I stopped and just did high reps with 135lb as I felt a bit clueless as what weight I should start and stop at.

Sorry for the long and redundant intro, so my question is approximately how long would it take for me to get back to using the weights that I used to use? Sometimes I can be too eager and might injure myself. I guess it's mostly a mentality problem as not being able to handle a weight that I used to use for my warmups kinda hurt me a bit (eventhough I know it shouldn't!). Thanks in advance.

It's up to you, how much work are you willing to put into it, eating, supplementation, getting enough rest, etc...

From personal experience it took me a good 2 months to get back to where I was at. Keep in mind, I was basically being starved for a month and a half and had no time for training at all.

Best of luck! We're here for ya

Heya, thanks for the reply. I've never had such a long layoff before so I have no clue how long I should give myself. 2 months sounds like a reasonable time, thanks again.

I've been working out about three months now and I'm at 80% off my strength from when I was much stronger.

I think one more month and I'll get back all the strength I lost. I had stopped for about eight months.