Going Back to An Old Routine

Is going back to an old routine ok? If I remember right I read some where that your to change a program every 8-12 weeks but I did this program way back in August.

There are many schools of thought regarding this issue, so be expecting a wide range of opinions.

I’m of the opinion that the push for frequent program changes stem more from a business need (publishers and personal trainers) than a physiological need.

Based on what I know there are more successful bodybuilders and strength athletes who stick to the same basic exercise plan (making necessary adjustments as the need arises) than those who overhaul their entire program every 3-4 weeks simply for the sake of changing things up. The westside and DC guys are a good example of what I’m trying to describe.

So, to answer your question, I don’t see why you cannot already return to that older program (assuming it produced visible results to begin with). I would also recommend to not discard it after an arbitrarily predetermined number of weeks but when the need, based on your results, presents itself.

That being said I encourage you to come to your own conclusions based on your own experience and your first hand observations.

Good luck

[quote]Sewerhooker wrote:
There are many schools of thought regarding this issue, so be expecting a wide range of opinions.

I’m of the opinion that the push for frequent program changes stem more from a business need (publishers and personal trainers) than a physiological need.

Based on what I know there are more successful bodybuilders and strength athletes who stick to the same basic exercise plan (making necessary adjustments as the need arises) than those who overhaul their entire program every 3-4 weeks simply for the sake of changing things up. The westside and DC guys are a good example of what I’m trying to describe.

So, to answer your question, I don’t see why you cannot already return to that older program (assuming it produced visible results to begin with). I would also recommend to not discard it after an arbitrarily predetermined number of weeks but when the need, based on your results, presents itself.

That being said I encourage you to come to your own conclusions based on your own experience and your first hand observations.

Good luck[/quote]

Good post.

There is nothing wrong with experimentation. The only way to find what exercises, splits, set/rep schemes, diet, etc… work best for you is to try out a variety and find out for yourself. That will involve some trial and error.

But, once you find out what works well for you, stick with it until it stops working. Then adjust what needs to be adjusted.

While change is good, it does not have to be a complete program overhaul. Change can be as subtle as using a different grip on a particular exercise.