T Nation

Going All Out on WS4SB?

I’m certain this has been answered by someone somewhere in time before, but I’m just gona ask again because I don’t seem to have the gift of search magic. In this program, I know there are max effort lifts 2x a week upper/lower, and then the other lifts during the time. What i’m wondering is, do you try and go all out on every single lift, or just the max efforts and repetitions?

What I mean is, say monday is ME bench: so I’d do however many sets to a max, then the next lift being db bench, then rows, then trap work…do the db bench, rows, and trap work consist of reps that don’t hit anywhere near failure, or should I go almost or at failure with them too?

I ask because I’m on my 3rd week of WS4SB and last week I did 215 for 4 reps on the bench and this week I could hardly get 1 rep. THAT is NOT improvement or sign of a good program in my opinion, UNLESS it’s because i’ve been doing the assistance lifts too all out, and that has caused the decline. Can someone help me?

I suppose it is possible that you are not recovering fast enough if you are doing all your accessory stuff to failure. I don’t usually go to failure on my accessory stuff…almost but not totally. How many weeks have you been doing bench as your ME movement? Have you been switching it up every 2 weeks like the program says?

Other things to think about:

Did you get enough sleep?
Did you go out drinking the night before?
Are you eating enough?

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
I suppose it is possible that you are not recovering fast enough if you are doing all your accessory stuff to failure. I don’t usually go to failure on my accessory stuff…almost but not totally. How many weeks have you been doing bench as your ME movement? Have you been switching it up every 2 weeks like the program says?

Other things to think about:

Did you get enough sleep?
Did you go out drinking the night before?
Are you eating enough?
[/quote]

1.) 8-9 hrs of ZMA sleep a night, with a bigass Metabolic Drive Complete shake before going to bed.
2.) I’ve drank once in my life, and it was hardly anything, about 4 weeks ago.
3.) 4,400-4,800 a day, gained about 4-5 lbs in the past 2 weeks.

this is my 3rd week doing plain flat bb bench, and I plan on switching it to rack lockouts for the next 2-3 weeks. I just have no clue how I’ve been stuck at 225 for my max since last year. It’s unreal. I do everything right, I use “good” programs from here, I eat big and healthy, I sleep a ton, I have no job so I’m able to fully rest and recover, and have access to tons of BCAA’s all times and everything else like that. I’m serious when I say last year at this time I got 225 up once, and now after all this time, I’m still pretty much struggling big time for 1-2 reps at best with 225. Fucking pisses me off.

I don’t go to failure on my assistance lifts. I usually leave a rep or two in reserve. I may go all out on the last set of each assistance lift depending on how I feel.

If you’re not progressing, something is wrong as stated above. Or you could be having a bad day. For the most part, you should progress from week to week on your ME lifts. Even when I’m not feeling that great, I will try to do more on my ME exercise than I did the week before. Even if it means just doing an extra set with the same weight I used the week prior or by increasing the weight and only performing 1-2 max reps instead of my usual three reps.

You could be performing too much volume with your assistance lifts or could be burning yourself out by going to failure each time.

“Third week on flat bench”…Some people can do this some people can’t. You might have just had a bad day, but it is more likely that you need to switch every 2 weeks instead of 3.

Sometimes you have shitty days. It happens. To reiterate what everyone else has been saying:

1. Don’t go to failure on accessory lifts
  2. Save the eyes bleeding effort for ME and RE lifts
  3. Rotate ME lifts every 1-3 weeks (depends on your training age)
  4. Rotate accessory/RE lifts every 4-8 weeks

It also helps to leave some room to improve in your ME lifts. If you set a PR don’t feel obligated to keep putting weight on until the bar pins you.

If your old bench max was 225 let’s day, and hit a solid 235, you might be better off calling it a day there so you have room to add weight next week than going ahead and failing at 245 or whatever.

you should go hard on your accesory lift, but to failure? well pick a weight that you can only do for the desired number of reps. i usually go lighter on the first two and my last set i can only do the lower rep number (ie 8-15 reps, last weight that you can handle for 8).

great results.

Don’t worry about going “all out” on every day. I would keep in mind max effort days even should be mostly geared toward putting max effort into your primary lift, and then making sure not to injure yourself on your supplementary exercises. On rep / dynamic days, I would just focus mostly on form and volume. I try to bust my ass on my max effort (box squats & flat bench atm), and then lighten up a little bit. Does that help?

yeah what that guy said, dont bother busting your nut on the rep effort days, just do it hard, but dont kill yourself. and if someone calls you lazy call them stupid.