T Nation

God, Why...

Today has been a rather rough day for my family and community. We discovered while attending church that our beloved paster, David Landrith, has been diagnosed with colorectal melanoma. Very rare and extremely aggressive, the long term survival rate is statistically non existent.

David informed us himself during what could very well be the last sermon he ever gives. The cancer is still in stage one which gives us hope. However, it does not respond to chemo or radiation and virtually always returns somewhere after surgery. He will go into surgery at the first of the week, and I guess God will take it from there.

David is a different kind of preacher and one that I really enjoy. He is a country boy by birth and a little bit of a goof ball with a great sense of humor. This has helped to build up a thriving church that originated with only a few hundred members and grow it to where it is today, at over 90000 members, all in less than 15 years. During this time he also spear headed an effort to build and maintain a large orphanage in Haiti, since adding schools and more.

He is only 49 years old and in the prime of his life. His oldest, a daughter, graduated college and married this last summer. Two sons, a high school senior and a Sophomore are still home. The only time he broke down was when he admitted the heart ache of wondering if he would ever live to see his sons married and start families of their own.

It amazes me how he is able to move forward with such graze and confidence and an unwavering love for God. I have to admit, I am angry with God right now. I don’t know how David can be not be furious.

This in the end simply demonstrates how far along the path David has travelled and how very far that I still need to go.

Love your families. Treasure them and don’t let a day go by that you do not share with them what they mean to you.

And if you would, please pray for David and our congregation.

Thank you.

[quote]JEATON wrote:<<< And if you would, please pray for David and our congregation.

Thank you.[/quote]Of course.
My offer always stands.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

I don’t know how David can be not be furious.[/quote]

This is faith. Other parts of the world might call it zen or enlightenment. Atheists/Agnostics call it “common sense” (until they find themselves on the wrong side and then it’s “nonsense”). Getting mad at God won’t take the colon cancer away and will only distract you from your family, your path, and your guidance in theirs.

You can never be sure about what your children will do after you die. All you can do is strive to set a good example, the way your father (spiritual or other) did before you.

This is the sermon in which he shared his condition with the church. Very moving.

I am downloading it and will put the audio on a CD so I can listen in my car. Don’t miss his voice in this my friend and DO NOT assume I mean something horrible by that that I don’t.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I am downloading it and will put the audio on a CD so I can listen in my car. Don’t miss his voice in this my friend and DO NOT assume I mean something horrible by that that I don’t. [/quote]

No assumptions. Appreciate the effort.

Absolutely tremendous JEATON. Pastor David had me in tears. Yes. THAT is how you handle a circumstance like this to the honor and glory of our God and His Christ. I left a message on your church’s Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/longhollow
I’m not gonna say much. You know what the Lord is saying to you.

JEATON, your pastor had a great Easter sermon. I’ve been keeping up with his situation and holding him up in prayer.

That sucks. I may not be religious myself, but I do recall the impact people like that have in your life - they’re pretty much family.

It is sad that a good man has cancer, I feel for you.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
JEATON, your pastor had a great Easter sermon. I’ve been keeping up with his situation and holding him up in prayer. [/quote]

Yes, thank you. He did great. He is going in for surgery in a few days so I am sure he will be out for a while. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery are appreciated.

gmail. you should be able to guess the username.

tried again. let me know if it went through.

Yep