God I'm confused again... Leaning down and keepin' muscle HOW?

Okay Im 324lbs at 6’1… For the last few weeks I’ve been watching my. Being a borderline type 2 diabetic I take 30mg of insulin everday so I can’t lower my carbs to low or I’ll literally pass out…

In the gym I’ve been lifting quite heavy. All my sets start with poundages that I can lift for 8 reps, but by the time I get to my 2nd and 3rd sets I can only push out 3or 4 reps sometimes getting the ocassional 5 reps if I rest longer…

I’m lifting 3 days a week one workout perbody group a week… QUESTION with me lowering carbs — should I stop lifting so heavy??? Wouldnt lifting heavy on a low carb/ lower calorie diet negate all my work in the gym… Am I just setting my self up for atrophy??

I read an article in T-man how individuals with higher FAT are able to preserve lean body mass better than those with lower body fat…
With that said should I just focuss on burning fat? Im not saying that I should completely drop weight lifting,but should severely cut down to just the basics to maintain the little bit of body fat that I have…

Then should I cycle all of this??? 6 weeks of really trying to burn fat (lots of cardio) followed by 6 weeks of muscle building…

Please give me what ever suggestion you can…

thanks

God I have major typos in that------ correction at the beginning its “watching my carb intake” which is no more than 120 grams a day… And in the middle I ment to say “maintain the little lean muscle that I do have” sorry

Where are you at BF%-wise? What is your ultimate goal of BF%? What is your daily caloric intake?

I defintely wouldn’t give up weight lifting. All the talk on the forum the last couple of days have been focused on keeping reps low while dieting. It enables you to keep strength and Lean body mass better(in my opinion) while dieting. I lifted in the 3-6 range recently while dieting and acutally gain strength. At that weight you should be able to lose fat pretty quickly. I used weight lifting, dieting, and cardio a year ago to lose 87 pounds. I lost 50 pounds in 5 months so it can be done. Also JMB said that a bigger person should be able to lose weight faster while maintaining LBM than a leaner person. So I wouldn’t worry too much about losing a little bit of muscle.

What is my body fat %percentage? I don’t know, it has to be around 25% or so… What would I like my BF% to be??? I really want to eventually get down to 10% or so…

It’s nice knowing that others have done what Im trying to do…

What is my calorie intake. It varies from day to day, but I’m 100% positive that it doesn’t go over 2000 calories a day… I have days where it’s as low as 1500… I’ve centered my diet around grilled chicken, fish (tuna/ salmon) and ground turkey… I consume no less than 100 grams of protein a day…

I think if I stick to it I’ll be okay… My most immediate goal is to drop a quick 25lbs…

You really need to read through the “Don Alessi’s Response to Meltdown on Low Carbs” thread. At your bodyfat, you could try a program like Meltdown and possibly get some benefit from it.

OR

You could keep lifting heavy but lower your volume (please see that post for all the benefits of a typical 5x5 lifting program) and then modify your diet, aerobic training and anaerobic interval training to acheive fat loss (please read Berardi's most recent article in this weeks issue).

Didn’t I read in the last two or three updates that strength training for fat loss is not the way to go, I swear I read that in a Shugart article…8-12 reps only…hypertrophy range. I could be mistaken.

Anyway, I’m not sure what to tell you, what with your being diabetic and all. I’ve lost 86 pounds, I went from 300lbs to 214lbs in a little less than a year. The three tips I can give you that I’m positive will work are these.

Keep a food log.

Love free weights, but don’t “love” free weights. If you know what I mean.

Read T-mag.