T Nation

Goal Talk

It seems the first question we all get asked here, among others, is ‘what are your goals’
I thought maybe a thread dedicated to that purpose would be a good idea in the beginner’s area.
I’ll start.

Essentially, my goals are the same as everybody else. I want to look better, perform better and be healthier.
That’s not terribly specific.
I need to be strong for my job. It’s a sheer joy to be able to easily handle stuff that I struggled with months or years ago.
I want to be competitive in a sport. I can’t think of one that I could join, but I’ve tried various martial arts, kayakking, and I was an enthusiastic, rather than a good, rugby player in my teens.
Ideally, I’d like to play rugby again, but I don’t think they’d take me.
A little history might help.

As a teenager, I’ve been active in sports, showing up to training sessions but somehow never being picked for the team. I was getting fed up with being passed over. I thought joining the military would get me out of Wales. So I started training to be a royal marine. I was probably never actually fit enough- I could easily have passed the PRMC, but the actual training would have been a different matter. In the event I never got the chance.
A string of child psychiatrists assed me, so my parents took me to a clinic in Cambridge (free at the time and dealing with adults, which they no longer do), and I was diagnosed with a form of Autism named asperger’s syndrome. I mention this event because it scotched my chances of joining up. I don’t know if it would have been enough to prevent me, but after teachers, parents and doctors had ‘words’, I sent the marines a letter telling them I wanted to go to university instead.

Six months later, I was a junkie. Ketamine, brown heroin, marijuana, you name it. I quit that a couple of years back. The withdrawal period was not difficult, but the boredom was. I started lifting for something to do. When you’ve been clean for a while, but you’re still struggling financially and in other areas of your life, you start to question your decision. That’s fatal. It could even be literally fatal. I still had the kit I’d bought as a teenager, and I dug it out and started using it.

Now it’s become something more than something to do. Unless I get a good workout in, the whole day goes south. I’ve heard the local gym is a not-for-profit thing where you pay a nominal fee and get to use much better kit than I have, like proper olympic bars and so on.
Unless I’m given a good reason not to, I’m going to head over there soon and see if I can join.

But the ‘goals’ are still not concrete.

OK, your turn.

Damn man I feel for your “darker days” I have been there and if it was not for my wife and lifting I would be dead or at least in prison so I am glad your coming out on top buddy.

As for me I want to be strong as hell. I would love to be world or National champion in a Strongman or Powerlifting Federation maybe even both I mean why not. But, all that matters to me is increasing my best and being better tomorrow, next week, or next year as long as I am progressing my goals are being met daily and that is all I can and will ask for. But if I had to put a number on my lifting goals…

All unequipped…

Squat: 700+ lbs
Bench: 500lbs
Deadlift: 800lbs
Log Press:400lbs

These are not the highest totals in the world to be achieved but if I could honestly hit all of these in a meet and get official credit in how ever many years I would retire pretty damn happy.

Woah! 500 bench?!

Thanks. Ironically, the beer I was drinking probably saved my life. To illustrate the scale of the problem, my clean and press has gone from a 1RM of 20 to one of 70 in about two years. It’s practically a push press at 70, but that’s fine by me.
What are you doing in the gym, specifically, then?

My goal is to eventually compete in/win a good amount of natural bodybuilding shows. I absolutely love lifting and always strive to be bigger. I love bodybuilding and I really want to be able to compete.

Awesome. What made you choose bodybuilding?

[quote]Der_Steppenwolfe wrote:
Woah! 500 bench?!

Thanks. Ironically, the beer I was drinking probably saved my life. To illustrate the scale of the problem, my clean and press has gone from a 1RM of 20 to one of 70 in about two years. It’s practically a push press at 70, but that’s fine by me.
What are you doing in the gym, specifically, then?

[/quote]

That’s some great progress man keep it up. Honestly back then my dumbass stayed so fucked up on Blow or OxyCotton I know weird combo that I wasn’t doing shit barely man. I may have went to the gym once a week and did curls flexed my pathetic muscles in a mirror and left. If your interested in the performance photos I have Before ( about 2 months of lifting ok ) and after Pics taken last week. Its called my journey so far.

Cool, I’ll look it up.

Right now my goal is to be the best rugby player I can be.

I played basketball and did martial arts as a kid, then moved to live with my mom around 12 and started to get mixed up with the wrong crowd. Nothing too bad but they did dumb stuff like fail school for not trying, some did some shoplifting, some smoked pot. I got arrested at school when I was 15 for a small amount of pot and that was a bit of a turning point. About a year after that a couple of my friends and I got jumped/robbed by a group of pot dealers/general bad kids and that was a real turning point.

What really angered me was that they had the smallest guy there punch us all one by one. It made me insanely upset that I was small/weak and could do nothing to defend myself. I went to one of the football coaches at school and told him I wanted to play, really it wasn’t about playing football but about lifting weights and being big/strong so I could defend myself if something like that happened again.

That summer I moved and changed schools, and was able to get a fresh start. Played football, made friends with teammates and others, etc. Homecoming night of my senior year I got in a really bad car wreck, tore 3 ligaments in my ankle in addition to a bad concussion and bruised ribs, missed out on the 2nd half of my senior year of football, which was a real bummer because I had worked so hard to become a starter and it all went to waste. The doctor told me I’d never play any contact sports again, so I thought my competing days were done.

When I moved to university, I found rugby. It was really a second chance at sports and a chance for me to achieve something as an athlete. It took me a couple years to get myself in good enough shape to really play, but now that I’m at that point my focus is on getting as strong as I can while maintaining my conditioning.

To put it in numbers, my strength goals are to bench 315x5 and squat 405x5 in 2 years time, which will coincide with me going to Physical Therapy school. These numbers aren’t earth shattering by any means, but to me they are the standard I set as being able to be considered “strong”. By my observations, with those numbers I should be stronger than at least 90% of the other guys on the pitch as well.

When rugby is all said and done (hopefully not for a long while), I may consider doing something like powerlifting or lightweight strongman. But I’ll cross that road when I get there.

Cool, a real sportsman. Rugby is the game of the gods.

I hear you there.

I’ve been thinking a lot about goals lately when it comes to the gym I am trying to loose weight and build muscle at the same time which is a mental mine field my lifts go up I hit a new pb almost every week and I know I’m getting stronger but the scales hardly move in 3 months I lost a total of 5kgs but dropped a couple of pant sizes and went from a xxx shirt to a xx shirt. 32 percent body fat to 24, and going by the scale i haven’t lost any weight in 3 weeks now!.

So I’ve had to change my goals from scale numbers to bf which I get done every 6 weeks and I’ve set myself short and long term lifting goals.

Short term for me would be to get in the teens in body fat by the end of the year and be able to do atleast 5 chin ups

Long term would be to squat and deadlift in the 200kg mark.

[quote]Der_Steppenwolfe wrote:

Awesome. What made you choose bodybuilding?[/quote]

I started lifting with my dad when I was very young. I always cared more about looking big than lifting heavy. It may seem narcissistic but what ever. I then started to follow professional bodybuilding and fell in love with the physiques. The more I paid attention to the sport I saw what went into it. It is the only sport where you can dictate how well you do. Do not get me wrong I liked playing on teams but the feeling that my success is mine and mine alone is what I love. Competing would simply be validation for me.

220 lbs - If get to 225 and stall out, it wouldn’t be a big deal. I could probably go a bit lower, but that’s good enough where I can just focus on recomp (which, to me, is easier than cutting).

[quote]
I started lifting with my dad when I was very young. I always cared more about looking big than lifting heavy. It may seem narcissistic but what ever. I then started to follow professional bodybuilding and fell in love with the physiques. The more I paid attention to the sport I saw what went into it. It is the only sport where you can dictate how well you do. Do not get me wrong I liked playing on teams but the feeling that my success is mine and mine alone is what I love. Competing would simply be validation f[/quote]
Hey, that’s cool. Who doesn’t like validation? Some of us hunt alone, others in packs.
As for ‘narcissism’, who’s to say that more muscular dudes don’t brighten a room up and improve the visual appearance of our world? What nobler goal could an artist possibly have?

you can, IMO. Unless you’re already very strong, I think it’s probably the best way as well. I mean, what if you bulk up but can’t make the cut?

After years of inconsistency, my current main goal is 1 year of continuous training with 5/3/1. Currently approaching half way there :slight_smile:

I want to compete next year in an NPC bodybuilding show. I am planning on competing in May 2014. I have been working with my coach all year and will continue to until the show.

Just get stronger and more fit.

Goals that I want to reach by the next year or so-

Bench 225lb
Squat 315lb
Deadlift 405lb
Push-ups 60+
Chin-ups 20
Run an under-7 min mile.

Life-time goals-
Bench 1.5xbw for 5 reps
Squat 2xbw for 5 reps
Deadlift 3xbw for 5 reps
(or doing the above 1 year goal for 5 reps if somehow my actual total falls below)
Push-ups 10+ with 100lb
Chin-ups 10+ with 90lb

S.M.A.R.T.

Using words like “trying”, “hoping”, “eventually”, “planning”, etc are not goal setting.

Lemme see, that’s
Short term
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time based?

So, in my case:
Short term: I want to achieve the elusive 10th pullup, Clean and press my bodyweight, get it so I don’t have to walk at any time during a 5K and steal your underwear?
Measurable: I will test pullups, clean and pressing, perform a multistage fitness test and check how far your underwear is down your legs, say, once per week?
Achievable: One extra pullup shouldn’t take long, adding 10Kg to my clean and press is sort-of doable and I’m not walking too much over my highly unreasonable hills, and your underwear is at half mast already?
Time based: I aim to achieve this in six weeks, and I should have your underwear in a minute?

[quote]Reed wrote:
Damn man I feel for your “darker days” I have been there and if it was not for my wife and lifting I would be dead or at least in prison so I am glad your coming out on top buddy.

As for me I want to be strong as hell. I would love to be world or National champion in a Strongman or Powerlifting Federation maybe even both I mean why not. But, all that matters to me is increasing my best and being better tomorrow, next week, or next year as long as I am progressing my goals are being met daily and that is all I can and will ask for. But if I had to put a number on my lifting goals…

All unequipped…

Squat: 700+ lbs
Bench: 500lbs
Deadlift: 800lbs
Log Press:400lbs

These are not the highest totals in the world to be achieved but if I could honestly hit all of these in a meet and get official credit in how ever many years I would retire pretty damn happy.[/quote]

Hm, those are some awesome numbers to strive for. My goals are a little lower. I’m feeling age catching up to me, but that’s probably more my health problems.

Squat: 700 (with wraps)
Bench: 405
Deadlift: 650

In 242 class, and done in a powerlifting meet.

I have short arms, hence the relatively low deadlift. It’s always hovered around my wrapless squat.

I also have a bit of an f’d up shoulder, so I don’t think I’ll get much past 405 bench.

Just a thought… It’s a good idea if you want to do something to remind yourself WHY you want to do something. If anybody wants to throw in some of their reasons, historical and current, would that be helpful?