T Nation

Goal Possible?

Information:
Sex: Male
Height: 6’1"
Weight: 200
BF%: 15% (guessing will hopefully have caliber soon)
Sports: Football (DE), Wrestling(189), power lifting (189)
Goals:
Weight: 185 lbs
bf: 7%
weight:210
bf: 7-10%
I have two goals because I have not decided on one yet, If you could please help me out on which one is best for right now and to get done before November 6th.

This is not my final destination by far just for this years wrestling then off season I will bulk up during track and be a mean lean 225-240 DE/LB

My overall goals is to gain muscle mass, strength, and speed (I’m working on the speed with a speed coach)

I have set up a diet of a 2:2:1 (carbs:protein:fat) with a 2500 calories on work days and a 2200 calorie off. I eat 6 (3 meals 3 shakes)* meals a day.

• Breakfast, Workout, Shake, Lunch, Shake, dinner, Mile walk, shake (off the last shake is a low-fat snack)

Workout:
With doing hour long bike ride from and too the gym (at least 2 days a week) while doing mostly core lifts (squats, bench, power clean, deadlift, etc.) while doing forearms one day then calves the next day.

I follow the 24-30 set/rep rule, on my lifts I usually do opposites (bench, barbell rows).

Question:

Do you believe my goal is possible in this amount of time (about 100 days). Will it take super hard work or will it be acheived sooner?

Need anymore information just ask.

Given your age, height, diet and activity levels I strongly doubt that your current BF is 15%. I would think 11-13% more likely.

I don’t think at your age you should be trying to get your BF into single figures. Put simply, you are still growing and need to eat to fuel that growth. If that means carrying slightly more BF, who cares?

So I would aim to get to 210 by November, and not worry about what BF level that results in. You should be able to put on 10lb in that time frame without increasing your BF level. It’s possible that you could keep your total BF (ie total weight of your fat) the same and therefore slightly reduce your BF %age. Do the math. Eg if you are (say) 13% BF now, that is x lbs fat and y lbs lean mass. If you increase lean mass to y + 10 (ie new total mass is x + y +10) what is your new BF %age?

Ha! I should have been a math teacher!

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Given your age, height, diet and activity levels I strongly doubt that your current BF is 15%. I would think 11-13% more likely.

I don’t think at your age you should be trying to get your BF into single figures. Put simply, you are still growing and need to eat to fuel that growth. If that means carrying slightly more BF, who cares?

So I would aim to get to 210 by November, and not worry about what BF level that results in. You should be able to put on 10lb in that time frame without increasing your BF level. It’s possible that you could keep your total BF (ie total weight of your fat) the same and therefore slightly reduce your BF %age. Do the math. Eg if you are (say) 13% BF now, that is x lbs fat and y lbs lean mass. If you increase lean mass to y + 10 (ie new total mass is x + y +10) what is your new BF %age?

Ha! I should have been a math teacher![/quote]

Why? It’s entirely likely that a high school player’s bodyfat is 15%. And it’s not necessarily a bad thing at all either. It can be helpful. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for wrestling.

I agree that it’s not the best thing for teenagers to be dieting down, but if wrestling is your sport, it’s just how it goes. Better to lose fat slowly and healthfully in the off-season than wait to long and starve yourself as so many wrestlers do.

One of my best friends in high school played football and wrestled and always had a terrible time getting down to wrestling weight. Eventually, he just wrestled in the highest weight class and did damn well.

Honestly your goal isnt that clear!

It sounds like you want to wrestle at 189, and does wrestling start in Nov?

If so you have 100 days to get to the leanest and strongest 189 you can be… it sounds like your going way to extreme on the diet end of things. You have a ton of activity and very little food for someone your size. Keep training hard and monitor your calories. keep the weight loss very slow (you only have to lose 1lb every 10 days!) this is one of the best ways to minimize muscle loss while losing fat.

You could always move up a weight class though… definatly should help your football, expecially if you focus on getting stronger and keep doing speed work while getting bigger.