Goal & Method - Need Critiques

First things first. I want to be strong, but I also want to be able to lug couches and heavy boxes upstairs a bunch without getting overly winded (I get recruited for moves a lot).

So this is my split.

Day 1 - Heavy Pull Day
Deadlift 5x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Static Lunges 3x8
Pullups 5x5
Seated Cable Rows 5x5
Hammer Curls 5x5

Day 2 - Heavy Push Day
Front/Back Squat 5x5
Bench Press 8x3
Close Grip Bench (T Nation Best Reps 5/4/3/2/1)
Db Military Press 3x8
Serratus Crunch 5x5

Day 3 - Endurance Pull Day
Deadlift 6/12/25
Romanian Deadlift 3x15
Static Lunges 3x15
Pullups 6/12/25
Seated Cable Rows 6/12/25
Hammer Curls 6/12/25

Day 4 - Endurance Push Day
Front/Back Squat 6/12/25
Bench Press 6/12/25
Close Grip Bench Press 3x15
Db Military Press 3x15
Serratus Crunch 3x8

So first things first I want…

1)Critiques
2)Any lifts I should subout?
3)Should I do “endurance” weeks instead of days?

*The “6/12/25” references a previous rep scheme on TNation which I don’t have a link for. Essentially it means do 6 reps, drop the weight 50% roughly, do 12 reps, drop the weight roughly 50% again, do 25 reps, no rest. I notate if the lift was "e"asy in my book so I know the up the weight next time.

Thanks!

pretty damned good job for a begginer. You’re lower back might be in serious pain from all that deadlifting though. I would cut out the romanians for a fewa weeks until you adapt.

Just my .02$

Thanks! I read all the T-Nation articles that I can, but that doesn’t meant I gain context on them all. :slight_smile:

Yeah, this rotation I did not do all of the Romanian deads on my endurance pull day, nor did I make it through all my regular deads heh.

I would not. There’s nothing wrong with squats twice a week. Hell, I hardly see any point in only doing it once a week.

Is there a reason you’re using hammer curls (biceps/forearm) on the same day you’re already working the largest muscles in your body (lower body/lats)? I think it’s redundant, and not very productive. I would go so far as to either hit lower body, or back; but not both on the same day.

I’m unfamiliar with that training split (6/12/25) but I just cannot honestly see any real strength benefit from a set involving 25 reps. You might as well be lifting a beer can.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
I would not. There’s nothing wrong with squats twice a week. Hell, I hardly see any point in only doing it once a week.

Is there a reason you’re using hammer curls (biceps/forearm) on the same day you’re already working the largest muscles in your body (lower body/lats)? I think it’s redundant, and not very productive. I would go so far as to either hit lower body, or back; but not both on the same day.

I’m unfamiliar with that training split (6/12/25) but I just cannot honestly see any real strength benefit from a set involving 25 reps. You might as well be lifting a beer can.[/quote]

I believe Zephead was referring to the Deads, with Romanian Deads right after not doing deads twice in a week.

The only reason hammer curls are in my program at all was a whim, in my previous program I had no curls whatsoever. Figured what could it hurt to throw it in at the end when all my important stuff is done. I might consider putting back alone, but mixing upper back with deads is in many T-Nation programs (and in the book New Rules of Lifting).

Also, the 6-12-25 method is scheme#2 in this article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1658436&cr=

If you can recommend some other way to build endurance with weights I am definitely willing to listen. I could flip it and do 15 sets of 3 heavy reps to get my volume up, but between work, and my business I don’t like to make gym an all day thing.