T Nation

Goal is 100 Pushups

But 80 is the sure thing to get. The question I have is that I worked out on Tuesday on chest and in school I am having the pushup test which is on Tursday. Should I go full out or just enough to get a good grade? Would this comprehend my recovery. I am using the WSFSB.

I took a pushup test in high school. You only needed like 10-15 to pass or something. Unless you really feel the need to get to 80-100, why would you compromise your actual workout for some dumb high school pushup test?

just push em out man you'll be fine, don't sweat the small shit

I don't compromise this sentence.

"Should I try hard or just do enough"

there will be thousands of times in your life you will have a chance to either do your best or just do enough. Those moments define who you are. You may think they aren't important, but they all add up.

X2

i think you mean you don't "compromise" that sentence.

Just do as many as possible. For god's sakes, it's pushups for reps. It's not like you're maxing out on deadlift.

www.hundredpushups.com

I said that. :wink:

WTF is that?

"No doubt some of you can already do 50 consecutive push ups, but let's face it, you're in a big minority. Most of you reading this won't even be able to manage 20 pushups. Actually, I'm sure many of you can't even do 10."

What kind of male can't do 10 pushups? Maybe if you're obese or bedridden. I just don't understand how people can't do simple shit like pushups and pullups.

IMO if you can't do 20 pushups and at least a few pullups you don't even need to go to the gym, just work on that at the park or something.

Sorry for the hijack. Not really, I'd do it again. But anyway...

Us Canadian high schools do testing in ranges such as poor, satisfactory, good, and excellent (I forgot how many push-ups you needed to do in order to place in the categories, all I know is 50 was top of excellent). The people in my past classes would have not passed if they had to do 10-15 lol. I went all balls out I got like 63 in grade 11. It's awkward when everyone finishes at 5-20 and your still going 40 more and all they do is watch you wait till you finish.

OP just do as many as you can like Brownab said it's not like doing a 1 reps max of deadlift and what not.

Exactly, when I read the sentence on the site, I was like wtf!!

So OP, if you can do 100 pushups by following that site, let us know!

It seems like people bag on strength all the time in regards to endurance, but when I got my bench over 350 I found I could easily bang out over 50 pushups, as a fat, out of shape 250 pound powerlifter who did no work over 12 reps. I think people who can't do pushups or pullups just need to get real. Real, real.

preach!

Word, I did the "pushups for reps every night" bullshit for a year, and got to maybe twenty. Now that I bench 3 plates, I can knock out infinite pushups, stopping only because my conditioning is shit, not because my arms are tired. Maybe I'll start doing pushups for my cardio, that's not a terrible idea.

-Sab

Just do teh push ups. Compromising one workout/ recovery time is nothing compared to comprimising excellence.

Not so long ago, i was out of shape, and i'll admit, i struggled to do 2 or 3 push-ups, after working out for 4 months or so, my bench is about 175 lb, try to do some push-ups, which i hadn't tried for a few months, whacked out 30 after a chest/shoulder workout. Fresh i think i could do about 40. And i still carry too much bodyfat.
Just to support what someone said about increasing pushup numbers without actually doing pushups.

Not so long ago, i was out of shape, and i'll admit, i struggled to do 2 or 3 push-ups, after working out for 4 months or so, my bench is about 175 lb, try to do some push-ups, which i hadn't tried for a few months, whacked out 30 after a chest/shoulder workout. Fresh i think i could do about 40. And i still carry too much bodyfat.
Just to support what someone said about increasing pushup numbers without actually doing pushups.

Tabata pushups rock at the end of a workout!