T Nation

Goal: 240 lb

So I have not been going on a “bulk” but certainly not on a “cut” either, sidenote: hate both of those terms, but I have been gaining weight very steadidly. This past march I was 192, yesterday I was 212. Strength and size and gone up considerably. But my end goal is to be 240. I dont want it to happen overnight, I was thinking I have gained 20 pounds in 6 months so in the next 10-12 months I should be there. Could you please critique my diet so I can keep making slow but steady progress.

BIG question: I have no problem eating vegetables and I know they are extremely important, but I just feel like they make me more full and I consume less food, so are they worth it? Oh and the times differ because of when I get up to go to class and when we get done etc etc

Training Day(Monday, Wednesday, Friday-doing Madcow 5x5)
Breakfast (8-930)
575 calorie weigh gainer
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup oats
1 individual serving of applesauce

Lunch (whenever class gets over)
1 cup oatmeal or brown rice
1/3 bag of Tyson individually cut chicken
carrots and ranch

Preworkout snack
4-6 eggs
2 slices whole grain toast

Postworkout
2 scoops protein + 5 grams creatine

Dinner
Either leftover chicken and 1 cup of rice or turkey wrap with 1 cup of rice

Before bed
2 natural peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole grain bread and I sip whole milk

Non training days(Tuesday and Thursday)
Breakfast
1 cup oatmeal with 2 tablespoons pb

Snack
4-6 eggs
2 slices whole grain toast

Lunch
Chicken/Beef and 1 cup rice

Snack
Greek Yogurt or pb and jelly sandwiches as stated above

Supper
Whatever we make, chilli, lasagna, spagetthi, alfredo

WEEKEND RULES

1. Minimal sugar
  2. Eat as much as possible as long as it’s not cake, cookies,ice cream, candy, etc etc
    3.Minimal “adult pepsis”

What are the macros of the above?

How much of an increase are they on what you are currently eating at 212lbs?

How old and tall are you?

Are you training for a sport on top of this? If not, why are you only lifting 3 days per week?

What is your current body comp like?

What are your lifts?

Overall looks

Macros: no clue, i know very little about nutrition
I hit a short plateu at about 208-ish so I threw in the whole milk and added a pb and jelly sandwich. I’m 6’2" and 19 years old. No sports, love them but none. I’m only lifting 3 days a week because of madcow and I feel like I get the best results from this. I put together my own workout that last 8 weeks and got nowhere so I came back to this. I dont have access to a body caliper , or know how to use it.
Deadlift: 385
Squat:315
Bench:285
Military:155
Power Clean:205
I’d just really like to get my military and squat in proportion to my bench press.
Heres my log

I would watch the carbs before bed and add some PWO. Other then that everything looks solid.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Macros: no clue, i know very little about nutrition
[/quote]

I think you would benefit from becoming more knowledgeable about your macros. You can google all the foods in the above diet you listed and then know the protein carb fat and total cal numbers you are consuming. It won’t take you long to do this at all.

With this info, you can make sure you are hitting 1.5-2g protein per pound BW every day, and also with the total no. of cals, it’s easier to make adjustments if you are not gaining/ gaining too much fat. You are looking to gain 30lbs which is alot of weight, would probably help you if at this stage you were that bit more meticulous imo.

Personally, I would lift 5-6 days per week on a standard BB split like those listed in Kingbeef’s sticky in the BB section. Also do maybe 2-3 cardio sessions on top, as I believe Berardi’s G-Flux has some merit based on my own experience. But keep doing what you are doing if you want and you’re happy with the results.

Overall good job on the gains so far.

@yolo84 whats a good split+workout for bb

ZRAW just posted a split in some thread in the BB forum if your interested its :

1. legs

2. chest shoulders

3. off

4. back

5 off

1. arms

2. off

I’d drop the shake in the AM and put it post workout unless its got a lot of fat in it.

Get some healthy fats in there too! You can throw them wherever but I wouldn’t mix a ton of carbs and fats together if you can avoid it. Coconut and olive oil, as well as butter are good options

Props to you for gaining on that, I had to pack away way more cals.

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
I’d drop the shake in the AM and put it post workout unless its got a lot of fat in it.

Get some healthy fats in there too! You can throw them wherever but I wouldn’t mix a ton of carbs and fats together if you can avoid it. Coconut and olive oil, as well as butter are good options

Props to you for gaining on that, I had to pack away way more cals.

[/quote]
Sometimes I go through cycles of protein of salmon/chicken just to switch up the taste. Yea, I could eat more cals but I would just rather gain gradually and limit my calorie expenditure. “Why use the stairs when there is an elevator?”

[quote]chobbs wrote:
@yolo84 whats a good split+workout for bb[/quote]

this is a good thread:

read through that, obviously some exercises and rep schemes etc can be adjusted slightly, but generally speaking just follow one of the routines on the first page.

If your goals are BB and you are young and looking to put on alot of muscle, training as often as possible is preferable, you should be able to recover easily enough as you are young and eating a surplus.

Aim for 300-350g of protein every day, eat plenty of fat (avocado oil,olive oil, macadamia oil,etc, nuts, nut butters, red meat) and carbs before and after training (rice, potatoes, oats etc).

Post an update here every 4 weeks to stay accountable.

Good luck.

thanks guys

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Please see articles by CT:
How to Design a Damn Good Program series
Training Strategy Handbook

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Please see articles by CT:
How to Design a Damn Good Program series