T Nation

Go to Failure or Not?

I think there has been a thread on this. I don’t know if there’s much worthwhile information there, but in my opinion, the best way to do it is to make steady strength gains and take regular deload weeks. Say you hit it hard for 4 weeks, on the 5th week cut your volume by half or so, and work in some higher rep pump stuff to get blood flowing into the area. The deal with connective tissue is that it doesn’t get a whole lot of blood circulation, so it recovers slower than muscle.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I was reading your link. How does one “strengthen” ligaments?
[/quote]

I read somewhere that isometrics can help strengthen joints and ligaments (off-topic)

To the OP, training to failure IMO is a tricky subject. I used to train searching out failure on all my sets but after a little while I changed that. I feel it took too much out of me, plus many times I have sacrificed technique to try and grind out reps. I think its also a mind thing, if I train seeking out failure, somewhere in the back of my mind I will think about failure and probably come up short way before I should. When I train with failure being the last thing in my head I approach lifting with a confidence that makes me surprise myself sometimes. I’m fairly new to lifting, but thats my 2 cents

[quote]2274 wrote:
It also depends on the lift. I’d be more than willing to go to failure in squats and benches, but when it comes to oly lifts and deadlifts, failure is a dangerous game.[/quote]

Yeah. I also go to failure every time I lift my 1-3RM. Going to failure on higher reps is a lot more taxing to the body in my experience.

I think Jack Reape, hit the nail on the head. For me going to failure is something I only consider once or twice a year;especially as 90% of any injuries or twinges i’ve picked up in the gym have been from going to failure

I go to a one rep max failure or sometimes a low rep max failure. This is more along the lines of max effort. All other work is done a few reps shy of failure.

It’s just a poor method for great strength gains and not something a bodybuilder should do very often.

I do what tom63 does, except better, haha no I am kidding, but I do agree with him. Hey tom63, do you do DE lifting?

Dynamic Effort lifting, I have read, should help to strengthen joints and connective tissue, whoever asked that.

I have never heard that. Not to be a jerk, but out of curiosity, do you have any research to support that?

I woulda thought it would weaken it. DE work’s always been REALLY stressful on my upper body particularly.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
I do what tom63 does, except better, haha no I am kidding, but I do agree with him. Hey tom63, do you do DE lifting?

Dynamic Effort lifting, I have read, should help to strengthen joints and connective tissue, whoever asked that.[/quote]

I did do it. but I lift about twice per week and concentrate more on heavy. I tore a labrum on the right side and DE ebnching is no good for me now.

As for DE squatting, sometimes I just go heavy because I’m lazy. If I start lifting more, I’ll do both days.

[quote]carlospimpos wrote:
I think Jack Reape, hit the nail on the head. For me going to failure is something I only consider once or twice a year;especially as 90% of any injuries or twinges i’ve picked up in the gym have been from going to failure[/quote]

I also find this true, I have found that when i have gone to falure or near to it on deads or squats i have picked up an injury.Whenever i have taken my training this far i have found in the following weeks i have lost strength.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
I have never heard that. Not to be a jerk, but out of curiosity, do you have any research to support that?[/quote]

Do you mean about DE strengthening tendons etc, I think Dr Squat said it, or he said something about ballistic movements. It makes sense to me, DE is hard on conective tissue, thus wouldnt it make sense for the body to addapt to it by making them stronger.
I think DE is great, super good for bringing up my lifts so I am going to continue doing it. Also, for whatever reason, heavy benching hurts my shoulders(but not as much as moderate weight with moderate reps), but speed work does not.