T Nation

Go Lean Crunch???

Is this a suitable snack for right after a workout, alone with no milk?

Here are the nutritional facts from the website of one version of the crunch. The one I get is slightly different with 38g carbs and 10g protein.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 cup (53g/1.9 oz)
Servings Per Container: About 8
Amount/Serving %Daily Value**
Calories 190
Calories from Fat 25

Total Fat 3g*
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 95mg
Potassium 300mg
Total Carbohydrate 36g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Soluble Fiber 3g
Insoluble Fiber 5g
Sugars 13g
Protein 9g

No.

If I'm not mistaken this cereal gets most of its protein from soy, which arguably can raise estrogen levels, but at the very least is not a very complete source of protein.

That, and the carb source is relatively low on the glycemic index.

Post workout you should be having simple carbohydrates and quickly digestible proteins, such as the mixture found in Surge.

Isn't Go Lean, Kashi's line of Soy touting food?

Bad Newbie, Bad

THis stuff is full of ball-shrinking soy. BAD.

Try some good old-fashioned Quaker oats with some Low-Carb Grow! and some berries mixed in, instead.

But I'm a girl... so is soy really that bad for me???

I can't afford Grow! or anything sold here... I get a discount on good quality protein here already.

Any other Suggestions then?

LOADED with soy. Only Kashi I have seen without the soy is plain old Puffed Kashi. Its not to bad. Various puffed grains.

Used to eat Go Lean Crunch before. It was delicious. No longer eat it though. Best idea I got from it was using cinnamon for sweetener.

In a word, yes.

There are two compounds in soy protein that act as weak estrogens. This may not sound like such a big problem (and I'm going to oversimplify here quite a bit), but they can compete with your normal estrogen for receptor sites on cells and can throw nearly every system in your body out of whack to some degree.

This isn't meant to be a scare tactic - a few grams of soy protein a day isn't going to hurt you. But large amounts such as you'd get from eating a lot of Kashi products would.

While it's not an ideal alternative, you could mix some protein in skim milk as a post workout drink if you're looking to save some money. Egg whites (seasoned for variety and taste) and some sweet fruit that rates high on the insulin index would work too.

The idea is little to no fat, a good bit of quality protein, and a good bit of quickly digested and used carbs.

-Dan

Guys, the stuff isn't that bad. Loaded with soy protein if you mean loaded with 6 g of the stuff. And let's not forget the high fiber content.

Truth be told, so long as you're not taking in more than 25g of soy during the day, you'll be fine. I believe that's the threshold number that was assigned in the "Evils of Soy" article. Even the great John Berardi consumes tofu - he had it listed on one of his daily meal plans in an article he wrote.

My opinion - post workout, eat the stuff. It's got a lot of fiber which is good, and the stuff is excellent, and tasty. The milk will give you a nice insulin surge and the fiber will help keep you satiated and get things moving.

While it may not have the much heralded, immortalized properties of oatmeal, it's not something you should have to cut out of your diet. So long as you're not consuming significant amounts of soy during the rest of the day, 6g of the stuff is going to do nothing.