T Nation

Go Away Pectorals!

This may sound stupid and ironic on a bodybuilding site but, anyone any ideas on how to shrink a muscle area other than not training it and dieting?

is this a riddle?? or a trick question???

Yeah. Make everything else around it bigger!!! Problem solved.

HIGH reps? (Well they don’t build muscle!)

[quote]superscience wrote:
This may sound stupid and ironic on a bodybuilding site but, anyone any ideas on how to shrink a muscle area other than not training it and dieting?

[/quote]

Don’t train it, focus on overhead presses.

The chance of your Pecs being too big from the muscle alone is slim to none. you are likley simply seeing the build-up of the fat on top or you might have some bit of Gyno. I could be wrong but you might just be self conscious about it when there is no need. Post a pic and let us see if there is really a problem.

However if they are dissproportionately huge then the only thing to do is not train them while training the rest. it’s not that hard to refrain from using the pecs in pressing movements while retaining Delt and Tricep stregnth. BB

[quote]biggieben wrote:
The chance of your Pecs being too big from the muscle alone is slim to none. you are likley simply seeing the build-up of the fat on top or you might have some bit of Gyno. I could be wrong but you might just be self conscious about it when there is no need. Post a pic and let us see if there is really a problem.

However if they are dissproportionately huge then the only thing to do is not train them while training the rest. it’s not that hard to refrain from using the pecs in pressing movements while retaining Delt and Tricep stregnth. BB [/quote]

Harry Paschal would disagree, for certain.

I can’t offer any advice other than to say I had a training partner who had this exact same problem. The guy’s chest was enormous yet his arms and shoulders were somewhat thin by comparison.

He tried a lot of different methods to address it but never seemed to succeed. He was a powerlifter so in the end he just learned to live with it. this was years ago. Not sure what he’s up to these days.

Sounds like either the person is blessed & cursed @ the same time.

There’s enough guys in the gym who do nothing BUT chest work.

Try NOT training chest for a while or go high rep to avoid putting on more mass, switch up your exercises, do only mainly back or leg work, etc.

What style of training is this guy on and are at least his back & tris in proportion to his chest at least?

Just focus on overhead work like military presses.

If you still want to practice your bench press keep the reps under 5 and do no more than two sets (warm up sets included).

The thing is, i have barly trained it in the past 14 months apart from 4 months ago i started again because i was getting back from injury.

After a whole year out it was still nearly as developed as when i was training and the strength stayed with it but dropped more on other areas.

I mainly train everything else except my chest and nothing seems to work.

I don’t have gyno it’s actually muscular development.

The reason i don’t want it any more is, i’d rather have the weight shifted elsewhere for example legs and shoulders for olympic lifting.

My plan at the moment is to train my whole body except chest and do a second cut, then when im gaining leave it out.

I was just asking hoping there might be other suggestions other than what im doing.

Thanks.

Its hard to focus on one area, go on a diet and try losing some muscle weight and when you gain it back don’ do any direct chest exercises and focus on overhead presses. I did this before and it worked really well. I got rid of a lot of show muscles.

I was 175 at one time with about 12 percent bf doing too much bodybuilding style training. I went on a diet and did a lot of cardio, burned off a lot of muscle tissues and and lost about 23 pounds, and a lot of muscles as well.

I gained back only about 5 pounds, but my muscle memories were still there and so were my CNS characteristics and i am now much stronger than i was being 15pounds lighter.

[quote]superscience wrote:
The reason i don’t want it any more is, i’d rather have the weight shifted elsewhere for example legs and shoulders for olympic lifting.
[/quote]

You’ve obviously missed your true calling. Give up on the oly lifting and start concentrating on wet t-shirt contests.

I’m not bodybuilding and never have, but I feel like I’ve deactivated my pecs quite a lot by just bringing up the other muscles groups like lats, shoulders and triceps and tucking my elbows in tight when I bench. I think this is pretty much a good thing cause I’ve never strained a pec muscle ever since.

muscle memory sucks

I once had a similar problem… I didn’t want to shrink my pectorals, but I thought they (and my tris) were disproportionate with the rest of my upper body. I spent a few months concentrating on shoulder and upper back development followed by a shorter time concentrating on biceps and forearms.

During that period I did less volume on chest, dropped heavy bench and fly work for the most part, and relied mostly on pushup variations, since they work a lot of other upper body muscles. Worked well for me.

As long as your nutrition is up to code you should be able to see faster development of the other muscles, which should give you the results you’re after. It won’t let you shrink your chest, but you might prefer it in the end.

I have the same problem.