T Nation

GNC Protein Caused Breakout


#1

As title says Whey Protein and GNC Lean Shake 25 have been causing me to break out.

I KNOW many will answer with "Whey does not cause acne" but I do suffer form an acne problem, went to dermatologist gave me prescription etc. and told me not to take supplements after I mentioned that I did. After a few months I waited for acne to clear thanks to prescription and began taking whey protein to see if this was the cause and after a week acne was back, again I stopped it cleared up and did the process again... same results. Tried with GNC lean shake 25 and same results.

Its hard to meet protein daily intake without a supplement as well as expensive, so those of you that had the same problem which supplements did you take? Maybe non whey/creatine ones? I have seen a few that are like that

Thank you in advance


#2

A lot of people claim acne break outs from dairy products. You could try a non-dairy protein like beef protein isolate, rice (bleurgh!) or pea (also bleurgh!).

Creatine shouldn’t affect your acne at all.


#3

[quote]Fabriziox1 wrote:
As title says Whey Protein and GNC Lean Shake 25 have been causing me to break out.

I KNOW many will answer with “Whey does not cause acne” but I do suffer form an acne problem, went to dermatologist gave me prescription etc. and told me not to take supplements after I mentioned that I did. After a few months I waited for acne to clear thanks to prescription and began taking whey protein to see if this was the cause and after a week acne was back, again I stopped it cleared up and did the process again… same results. Tried with GNC lean shake 25 and same results.

Its hard to meet protein daily intake without a supplement as well as expensive, so those of you that had the same problem which supplements did you take? Maybe non whey/creatine ones? I have seen a few that are like that

Thank you in advance[/quote]

Might be a blessing in disguise. Real food > protein powder/gainer shakes.

Force yourself to eat more and eventually you’ll become accustom to eating more.


#4

What prescription? Antibiotics? Accutane will clear your right up.

Whey or any dairy had always given me skin issues. I got on a low dose accutane course and can now eat whatever I want. So, I would say.

-Get on low dose accutane

or

-Forget about protein supplements and eat cheaper protein sources. If “it is hard to meet protein daily intake without a supplement as well as expensive” all other protein supplements will be to expensive as well.


#5

[quote]Yogi wrote:
A lot of people claim acne break outs from dairy products. You could try a non-dairy protein like beef protein isolate, rice (bleurgh!) or pea (also bleurgh!).

Creatine shouldn’t affect your acne at all.[/quote]

This. I drink a pea/rice blend, cleared up my acne and digestion tremendously. I will admit, the whey I was drinking was on the cheaper end, but even with that, the much cheaper pea/rice blend is much easier on me.


#6

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Fabriziox1 wrote:
As title says Whey Protein and GNC Lean Shake 25 have been causing me to break out.

I KNOW many will answer with “Whey does not cause acne” but I do suffer form an acne problem, went to dermatologist gave me prescription etc. and told me not to take supplements after I mentioned that I did. After a few months I waited for acne to clear thanks to prescription and began taking whey protein to see if this was the cause and after a week acne was back, again I stopped it cleared up and did the process again… same results. Tried with GNC lean shake 25 and same results.

Its hard to meet protein daily intake without a supplement as well as expensive, so those of you that had the same problem which supplements did you take? Maybe non whey/creatine ones? I have seen a few that are like that

Thank you in advance[/quote]

Might be a blessing in disguise. Real food > protein powder/gainer shakes.

Force yourself to eat more and eventually you’ll become accustom to eating more.
[/quote]

I don’t mind eating more but the problem is that a supplement with 30 servings of 25 g of protein is way cheaper than buying 30 servings of anything that will contain the same amount of protein. Also its faster, simpler to make and dont contain much fat for a high amout of protein. I know fat is good but I already meet my fat intake


#7

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
A lot of people claim acne break outs from dairy products. You could try a non-dairy protein like beef protein isolate, rice (bleurgh!) or pea (also bleurgh!).

Creatine shouldn’t affect your acne at all.[/quote]

This. I drink a pea/rice blend, cleared up my acne and digestion tremendously. I will admit, the whey I was drinking was on the cheaper end, but even with that, the much cheaper pea/rice blend is much easier on me.[/quote]

Which product did you get?


#8

[quote]Fabriziox1 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Fabriziox1 wrote:
As title says Whey Protein and GNC Lean Shake 25 have been causing me to break out.

I KNOW many will answer with “Whey does not cause acne” but I do suffer form an acne problem, went to dermatologist gave me prescription etc. and told me not to take supplements after I mentioned that I did. After a few months I waited for acne to clear thanks to prescription and began taking whey protein to see if this was the cause and after a week acne was back, again I stopped it cleared up and did the process again… same results. Tried with GNC lean shake 25 and same results.

Its hard to meet protein daily intake without a supplement as well as expensive, so those of you that had the same problem which supplements did you take? Maybe non whey/creatine ones? I have seen a few that are like that

Thank you in advance[/quote]

Might be a blessing in disguise. Real food > protein powder/gainer shakes.

Force yourself to eat more and eventually you’ll become accustom to eating more.
[/quote]

I don’t mind eating more but the problem is that a supplement with 30 servings of 25 g of protein is way cheaper than buying 30 servings of anything that will contain the same amount of protein. Also its faster, simpler to make and dont contain much fat for a high amout of protein. I know fat is good but I already meet my fat intake[/quote]

Some people have reported that cutting out powders and eating more food instead has improved their body composition overall and they can get away with eating more.

Sure on paper you’ll be taking in more fat and carbs alongside your protein… but it may actually yield better results.


#9

What site are we on again?


#10

[quote]JFG wrote:
What site are we on again?

http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb[/quote]

It may be the whey (milk) causing him to breakout so you suggest milk products?


#11

Take lactose enzymes/dairy pills with the whey and possibly also digestive enzymes with a good amount of betaine hcl in them. If can stretch your budget MAG-10 and hydrolysed whey are practically lactose free and many people report no sides.

x2 on checking out the beef powders, Beef aminos also great.


#12

[quote]Fabriziox1 wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
A lot of people claim acne break outs from dairy products. You could try a non-dairy protein like beef protein isolate, rice (bleurgh!) or pea (also bleurgh!).

Creatine shouldn’t affect your acne at all.[/quote]

This. I drink a pea/rice blend, cleared up my acne and digestion tremendously. I will admit, the whey I was drinking was on the cheaper end, but even with that, the much cheaper pea/rice blend is much easier on me.[/quote]

Which product did you get?[/quote]

I just bought a thing of pea protein, a thing of rice protein, and mix it 70/30 pea to rice.


#13

Just out of curiousity, was the GNC protein choco flavored of some kind? Ive been getting occasional spots in the back when using chocolate flavored shakes of some brands. But same thing doesnt occur when im using vanilla flavour for example…
In my case it could be something else too (like filthy gym equipment or something like that) but i’ve been consuming protein shakes of all kinds for over 5years now and for as long as i can remember i’ve had the same issue… just my 2cents


#14

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
What site are we on again?

http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb[/quote]

It may be the whey (milk) causing him to breakout so you suggest milk products?[/quote]

Maybe does not mean it does and whey is not the only ingredient. Process of elimination instead of coming up with unfounded conclusions.

Use a superior product, THEN go from there.

Not rocket science here.


#15

[quote]25G wrote:
Just out of curiousity, was the GNC protein choco flavored of some kind? Ive been getting occasional spots in the back when using chocolate flavored shakes of some brands. But same thing doesnt occur when im using vanilla flavour for example…
In my case it could be something else too (like filthy gym equipment or something like that) but i’ve been consuming protein shakes of all kinds for over 5years now and for as long as i can remember i’ve had the same issue… just my 2cents[/quote]

I used to use the chocolate as well and same result, currently the one I have is the banana


#16

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Fabriziox1 wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
A lot of people claim acne break outs from dairy products. You could try a non-dairy protein like beef protein isolate, rice (bleurgh!) or pea (also bleurgh!).

Creatine shouldn’t affect your acne at all.[/quote]

This. I drink a pea/rice blend, cleared up my acne and digestion tremendously. I will admit, the whey I was drinking was on the cheaper end, but even with that, the much cheaper pea/rice blend is much easier on me.[/quote]

Which product did you get?[/quote]

I just bought a thing of pea protein, a thing of rice protein, and mix it 70/30 pea to rice.
[/quote]

I’m having problems finding cheap ones for both (The ones I’ve seen are like 30$ each) and where did you buy them?