GNC Interview, What Should I Know?

i’m going to be a wallet rapist

I work at one right now. You’re encouraged to sell products that will make you some money, such as third party brands, but you have to meet quota on the ‘P3’, or house brands.

I’m going to be perfectly honest here. I like this job. I really get to help people. Total noobs come in, and I get to help them out. Old people with joint problems, fatties, skinny puppies, they all want information. I feel elated every time they come back and tell me how much better they feel.

Don’t sweat the interview. Let them know that you work out, and that you constantly read up on new research. My interview took about five minutes, but I’m a decent looking guy and the manager is a good looking woman.

While I was an undergrad studying exercise science I worked at the Vitamin Shoppe that was close to campus. they actually resent any decent information you can give to a customer, like GNC you recieved commision for house products and certain products that were being pushed.

My manager, who was a Pakastani with maybe a quarter pound of lean mass on his whole body, would tell customers that no matter what product they were looking at that the Vitamin Shoppe brand was made by the same company. If you were holding Met-Rx MRP you should buy Tech X Mass by Viatamin Shoppe because Met-Rx made our protein or if you were holding EAS Amino Fuel, guess what he would hand you and say, yes he was a toolbag.

I went to school on a full academic and recieved a pretty decent stipend every semester so I could careless about the couple bucks commision and would suggest what I truly thought would help the customer according to their needs and goals. It was a great way to study out of class and fun, but bottom line those places don’t look for knowledgable sales people, they look for bodies so you’ll be more than fine.

I worked at a GNC for 3 years, you will be forced to sell GNC brand products, even though you barely make any commission on them. The manager would prefer you to sell a GNC multi-vitamin for $30 than to make a $200 sale that does not include multi-vitamins.

If you are at all like me then your first year will be spent actually trying to help people, after that you realize most of the customers are helpless and then you just go for high commission products. M-Tech was my favorite company because they usually offered the highest commission. It is a good job money-wise, I probably averaged between 11.50-13.00 an hour after commission was totaled in, I made over $100 in commission in one day a few times.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I remember being in one once and the clerk was recommending some brand to a customer and I happened to mention that I like another brand. The clerk did not seem happy lol[/quote]

What is with people trying to fuck up other people’s sales. This makes no sense. If you want to correct a mother fucker why don’t you discuss it with him when he isn’t trying to make a living.[/quote]

Ha! I recall you bragging about loving Wal-Mart too.
Nice credibility, Bro.

lol

Im drinking an A&W diet root beer right now…

thanks everybody!

and I’m off to the show

all amped up and feeling all kinds of fierce!

I remember being in one once and the clerk was recommending some brand to a customer and I happened to mention that I like another brand. The clerk did not seem happy lol[/quote]

What is with people trying to fuck up other people’s sales. This makes no sense. If you want to correct a mother fucker why don’t you discuss it with him when he isn’t trying to make a living.[/quote]

I wasn’t aware at the time that the clerk got a commission for recommending a certain brand. get off your high horse

seems pretty dumb anyways to give them a commission for recommending a certain brand, no bias there is there[/quote]

not sure if you noticed his avatar but he is quite literally sitting upon a horse :slight_smile: just thought I’d point out the unintentional humor of your response.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

I wasn’t aware at the time that the clerk got a commission for recommending a certain brand. get off your high horse

seems pretty dumb anyways to give them a commission for recommending a certain brand, no bias there is there[/quote]

not sure if you noticed his avatar but he is quite literally sitting upon a horse :slight_smile: just thought I’d point out the unintentional humor of your response.
[/quote]

yeah, I thought to write that and then looked over and figured that would be perfect :wink:

Is a stoned pony a high horse?

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I feel confident in talking about the staple supps like

protein
fats
creatine
n.o.
carbs
multi-v’s
bcaa’s

what else should i read up on before heading there? anyone work for one? what was you interview like? is it anything like a gym interview? did you work for one? how was it? will it turn me into a tool if i get hired?

thanks
[/quote]
I worked for one and largely agree with what has been said. If you are in decent shape, you will probably hear compliments from the physical fitness crowd, as they like the sight of a fit person behind the counter and not an obese one.

Some of the negatives of working for one include:

You will have to push a different product each month though, which can get awkward at times with regular customers coming in.
Even if you are a good salesmen, the location of your store makes a big difference. I worked between two of them and found the one at the mall to be much more crowded, thus increasing my earning potential. When I returned to the one at the strip mall, I returned to dealing with bored husbands who are occupying their time while their wives shop.
The vast majority of the customers fall into one of two camps; dedicated and ready to buy their supplements and the people who want miracle pills. The later get annoying real quick, and it is best to not waste your time on them.
The positives:
If you look the part, as mentioned previously, it is much easier to recommend and sell supplements.
You can mark down items that are getting ready to expire, and then buy them yourself. Massive discount.
That sums it up.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I feel confident in talking about the staple supps like

protein
fats
creatine
n.o.
carbs
multi-v’s
bcaa’s

what else should i read up on before heading there? anyone work for one? what was you interview like? is it anything like a gym interview? did you work for one? how was it? will it turn me into a tool if i get hired?

thanks
[/quote]

From my experience you need to be a huge bitch and not know anything. Just from experience, although i’m sure you need to know the basics.

PS. I have had bad experiences with GNC.

oh, that interview was at 230. the manager was a dude I used to work out with at my school’s gym a couple years ago. He remembered me and we spent the whole time laughing at the people we knew back then. I’m positive that job is mine.

Could start a new thread on here: What do the people at your local GNC look like?

Mine has an old lady, an overweight nerd and a kid that looks 16 years old & weighs 95 pounds soaking wet. Maybe the people that have actually lifted weights work when I don’t go in.

[quote]Extremepain wrote:
Could start a new thread on here: What do the people at your local GNC look like?

Mine has an old lady, an overweight nerd and a kid that looks 16 years old & weighs 95 pounds soaking wet. Maybe the people that have actually lifted weights work when I don’t go in.[/quote]

Same , and a skinny pale girl.