GNC Bashing at Its Finest!

my problem with gnc is that they never kept any real gainers in stock, before i had realized that i was thier only customer, i must of tried most mass gainers, and stacks back in the early 2000’s, this was just before fizogen came into play.
i’m glad that i did’nt renwew my gold card membership for over 1 year.
and it’s been an extremely good quiet year without gnc. they never had the vitamins i wanted either.
“mega men” give me a break.
UN

I used to work at GNC too…one of my first jobs. I didn’t know shit about bodybuilding or supplements or anything but I was an college track athelete so they hired me because I “look” like I know what I’m talking about. Now I have a BS in kinesiology and work part time as an Exercise Physiologist.

Boy the stories I could share…lets see…I worked in a corperate store in a mall and it was small so I was often the only employee on duty so I slacked off all the time. I would listen to the radio at night and call in and win stuff instead of cleaning or arranging products. And when a customer would return something I would keep it if they opened it because we couldn’t resell it. After 4-5 months there, I had enough Ephredrine (when they were aloud to sell it) to fuel a spaceship.

Sometimes my girlfriend would come over and tease the hell out of me. A few times I would lock up for a “quickie” in the back =) I finally got fired for reselling a 48-hour Hollywood Diet drink to a customer who happily bought if off me. Several times I would sell already returned items to customers for cash for a big discount but I was finally caught when another customer saw what I did and wrote a letter to my manager and she had to fire me. Oh well, I guess I had nobody to blame but myself. I’m surprised I didn’t get caught sooner but she was an epileptic who was drugged out on her medication half the time anyway.

Let me tell all you people that there are certain items that employees get commission for. I can’t tell you how many times I sold shit I had no idea how well it worked to clueless people because it was commissioned for like 3 bucks. Meaning if I sold it I got an extra 3 bucks on my paycheck. Now, unless I absolutely know what I want I refuse to listen to anyone in retail about supplements. I realize not all employees were/are as corrupt as me but hey for 7.50 an hour there isn’t much motivation not to be corrupted.

[quote]goldstar81 wrote:

I realize not all employees were/are as corrupt as me but hey for 7.50 an hour there isn’t much motivation not to be corrupted.

[/quote]

You sound like my kinda people.
hehe

|/ 3Toes

I once got 180 bucks worth of protein powder at GNC for 10 dollars. It was great, all the stuff was expiring within three months, lot of protein to eat. Such a great deal, like christmas.

On the whole Vitamin Shoppe vs. GNC thing: I like the ON whey. At VS, it’s around $30, sometimes on sale for $26. At GNC, it’s $45.

On the other hand, I’ve been using the same mammoth bottle of creatine from GNC for four months that for reasons unknown to me, they were selling for six bucks. (And it was safety-sealed pure creatine monohydrate, so I can’t figure it out.)

My local GNC discounts any product that is within 8 months of expiration date. I just picked up a 4 pound bottle of nitro tech for 28 bucks, i would like to see anyone beat that price.

[quote]goldstar81 wrote:

I realize not all employees were/are as corrupt as me but hey for 7.50 an hour there isn’t much motivation not to be corrupted. [/quote]

Wow, only 7.50 eh? And you managed the whole store? I figured you’d be getting paid more than that. Do the employees at the larger mall stores get paid the same amount?

7.50 is what I’m earning now working as a floor guy at Gold’s Gym. Your post was quite interesting. I’m thinking I might want to look into getting a job at GNC. :stuck_out_tongue: Can you describe their hiring process?

Kinda speaks badly of GNC when the orignator of the thread, GNC employee, and faithful T-Nation reader fails to mention what supplements of theirs he would recommend.

Well, how would you feel if all you had to say was “Got your super-expensive vitamins and cheap-ass whey here! Everything 2 for 1!” Doesn’t sound like much of a sales pitch to me…

I prefer Vitamin shoppe myself, GNC is a rip off

Vitamin Shoppe is not the cure all. If those GNC stories had been posted bout VS, I would believe every one of them. I know what I see/hear when I am in VS.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Kinda speaks badly of GNC when the orignator of the thread, GNC employee, and faithful T-Nation reader fails to mention what supplements of theirs he would recommend.[/quote]

Except isn’t the originator of the thread really Oogie before he suddenly showed he was practically forum stalking Professor X and then changed his name? That is still one of the weirdest things I’ve seen on this site to date (especially since his old profile listed him as an anchorman).

I was not a manager, I was only a sales associate but they wanted an asst manager when they hired me so I worked really hard the first month or 2 before they gave it to someone else who was a much bigger slacker. At the time I had almost no experience in sales or exercise but I was a college athelete so I think they thought that because I look like I know what I’m talking about thats all they needed for me to sell products. I was surprised how easy it was to get a job there. In the mall I lived by in southern california it was the only store I could see myself working at for longer than a week and not walking to committ hare kary (suicide). There was a manager but she managed 2 stores and mainly stayed at the other store. She was never around, she only came by for a couple of hours a day and I worked in the evening so I never saw her that much.

[quote]goldstar81 wrote:

There was a manager but she managed 2 stores and mainly stayed at the other store. She was never around, she only came by for a couple of hours a day and I worked in the evening so I never saw her that much.

[/quote]

Did ya ever see Chinadoll there? I hear she used to hang around GNC’s and tease the guys who worked there.
:wink:

|/ 3Toes

Good catch Kuz.

Haha…well thanks a lot! Hehe…

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:
Did ya ever see Chinadoll there? I hear she used to hang around GNC’s and tease the guys who worked there.
:wink:

|/ 3Toes
[/quote]

[quote]Kuz wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Kinda speaks badly of GNC when the orignator of the thread, GNC employee, and faithful T-Nation reader fails to mention what supplements of theirs he would recommend.

Except isn’t the originator of the thread really Oogie before he suddenly showed he was practically forum stalking Professor X and then changed his name? That is still one of the weirdest things I’ve seen on this site to date (especially since his old profile listed him as an anchorman).[/quote]

Is it? Well, I guess that explains things then.