T Nation

GMO: Just Label It

This is a campaign to get labeling of GMO foods in the US. The website is justlabelit.org. Last month they got 1.1 million comments submitted to the FDA. Now they’re launching an online petition trying to get 25,000 signatures in 30 days to force whitehouse policy advisers to review it. I know people are interested in health food here and I’m not sure what everyone’s stance on GMO’s is but I figured I’d share this to hopefully get some more people behind this.

link for online? is this the petition sent out by Eric Schlossser?

Check out the website. Yea that’s the one. Him and Gary Hirshberg.

link?

Sorry, website is:

justlabelit.org

thanks for the link.

done

Hmmm, yet you don’t want the FDA regulating supplements… ironic, isn’t it?

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Hmmm, yet you don’t want the FDA regulating supplements… ironic, isn’t it?[/quote]

huh? please explain. Should we not have the right to have our foods properly labeled?

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Hmmm, yet you don’t want the FDA regulating supplements… ironic, isn’t it?[/quote]

huh please explain. Do we not have the right to know? to have our foods properly labeled?

I work in the commodities field and everything is GMO unless specifically requested by the buyer. I just assume everything is unless specified.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Hmmm, yet you don’t want the FDA regulating supplements… ironic, isn’t it?[/quote]

I support proper labeling and consumer choice. In food as well as supplements. No one asking for it to be taken off the market, simply labeled. I don’t understand your point, can you please elaborate?

I am totally against that. A bunch of middle-aged assholes somewhere might lose money because of it.

With supplements, the majority on this board seem to be all about the FDA being hands off. So, it’s not ok to use the force of government on supplement companies, but it is ok to use the force of government on GMO foods?

A free market (without the FDA) would actually encourage honest, properly labelled products. Reputations would be on the line. The mere existance of the FDA means that people take for granted that their food is “safe” because it’s government approved - even if that’s not the case. There’s no incentive for companies to go above and beyond the labelling requirements of the FDA and to listen to consumer concerns about GMO food.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
With supplements, the majority on this board seem to be all about the FDA being hands off. So, it’s not ok to use the force of government on supplement companies, but it is ok to use the force of government on GMO foods?

A free market (without the FDA) would actually encourage honest, properly labelled products. Reputations would be on the line. The mere existance of the FDA means that people take for granted that their food is “safe” because it’s government approved - even if that’s not the case. There’s no incentive for companies to go above and beyond the labelling requirements of the FDA and to listen to consumer concerns about GMO food.[/quote]

In that case I completely agree with you. However, the current situation we have is that GMO foods are given GRAS status anyway and labeling is discouraged by the FDA. I’m not going to go into whether or not this has to do with agribusiness interests as that is a topic for another thread. I think we have to work within the system that we have despite its flaws and currently that involves the FDA.

this isn’t about regulation, it’s about labeling.

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
With supplements, the majority on this board seem to be all about the FDA being hands off. So, it’s not ok to use the force of government on supplement companies, but it is ok to use the force of government on GMO foods?

A free market (without the FDA) would actually encourage honest, properly labelled products. Reputations would be on the line. The mere existance of the FDA means that people take for granted that their food is “safe” because it’s government approved - even if that’s not the case. There’s no incentive for companies to go above and beyond the labelling requirements of the FDA and to listen to consumer concerns about GMO food.[/quote]

In that case I completely agree with you. However, the current situation we have is that GMO foods are given GRAS status anyway and labeling is discouraged by the FDA. I’m not going to go into whether or not this has to do with agribusiness interests as that is a topic for another thread. I think we have to work within the system that we have despite its flaws and currently that involves the FDA.
[/quote]

Good point. Although I’m never a fan of more government involvement, you’re right that in the current system, you have to go through the FDA if you want to get this labelling.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
this isn’t about regulation, it’s about labeling.[/quote]

And in the current system, they’re one and the same.

LOL… Love todays article by TC on foods that have gotten a bad rap. GMO being one of them. I’m pretty much in agreement that GMO gets a bad rap.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
A free market (without the FDA) would actually encourage honest, properly labelled products.[/quote]
No it wouldn’t.