GMM and 350 Method

Hi Paul,

I’m curious about something in regards to your Guaranteed Muscle Mass program utilizing the 350 method.

The article recommends sets of 8-12 reps for upper body work, and 12-20 reps for lower body work, but the 350 method is applied regardless of whether the exercise is upper or lower body. Wouldn’t the recommended rep ranges specified above imply something like a “330” method being more effective for upper body work?

It likely doesn’t matter so long as your getting stronger in a specific rep range, but I’m just interested on your theory behind the application.

Thanks Paul.

Have you tried the 350 method yet? I find with the strict rest period and the fact each set is pushed as hard as I can that all 3 sets are in a different range. First set I may hit 21 reps then next set 14 reps then next set 11 reps.

If you was looking at doing 30 reps in this manner I don’t think you would get 3 sets of within range either.

Just my thoughts as I have run this routine many times.

Plus, if you reached 50 reps, chances are you were still in the “right” rep range most of the sets anyway (hard to reach 50 reps across 3 sets doing sets of 6)

I have, and I’ve encountered the same thing regarding the varying rep ranges, and I expect it would be the same with a 30 rep goal as well (the 30 rep number itself isn’t important, I just threw it out there as example lower then 50).

I was just interested in the “why”. If lower rep ranges are recommended for upper body, why prescribe the same total reps for both upper and lower exercises.

Ya, it likely wouldn’t fall neatly within a specific range, but rather then sets of 21, 14, and 11, you may get 15, 10, and 5, which would be closer to the 8-12 recommended range then the former example.

Again, like I said, it probably doesn’t really matter, but I was just curious if Paul has tested out other total rep goals and had a reason he sticks with 50.

The “50” in the 350 method is not a strict number to hit every workout, but something to shoot for and once you hit it, move up in weight; Tip: Build Size with the 3-50 Method. It also looks to be reserved for the accessory lifts and single joint lifts, not the main strength lift of the session. Most likely, the important thing is this:

“As far as when to increase the weight, I’d bump it up when I could do 12-15 reps on the upper-body movements so that I’d go back to hitting 8-10 reps again. I’d do the same for lower body movements when I hit 18-20 reps. It’s that simple.”

hi guys
how much rest between each set in 350 method ?

2 minutes

thank you for the fast answer.
i’d love to make another question: is it possible that my squat is higher than my stiff leg deadlift?
at the moment i am doing:

SQUAT:

10 reps with 66lbs
5 reps with 100lbs
4 reps with 110
3 reps with 121
2 reps with 145
1 reps with 170lbs
20 reps with 155lbs
10 reps ( 50% set) with 155lbs

but i am not able to finish the 20 reps (working set) if i do the same for the stiff leg deadlift. last time i had to reduce the weight.
how much i suck? haha

You really just need to focus on getting stronger and not sweating the details right now.

Thanks for answering me.
What you suggest at this point?

Does the GMM fit for me or better going for something to increase my strenght?

Thanks

I would look into something more basic tbh. My inception program is for intermediates and the kind of training I did when I was young.