GM and Rack Pull Form

you could benefit from more reps right now. push the weight each week. if you don’t get low enough, don’t worry(the 2nd one was fine). as you get stronger, go lower. like I said before, even partials are fine at times. as long as you go lower then you ever will with a squat or a dead, you’ll be fine.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:

[quote]awwww_fuq wrote:

just know that GM does not enhance the deadlift as much as you would like to believe. this could be observed in westside and elitefts lifters who’s squats far overshadow their deadlifts (and this is not just because of the squat suits).[/quote]

this is %100 not true, especially for the op who does his lifts raw. you need a strong back. nearly everyone I have ever encountered has a weaker low back relative to everything else. what other lift, that you can use the same maximal weights, will improve the deadlift more for a raw lifter?[/quote]

power cleans and to a lesser degree, snatches. but this is treading into olympic territory now so its up to you if those applies. The GM comment is just my personal opinion then, as it enhanced my squats but did little to benefit my conventional deadlift.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
OK I got 2 GM videos, got them straight this time for you guys too :slight_smile:

3x125 GM 3x125 - YouTube

1x145: I stopped after 1 because I felt like I couldn’t get low enough - YouTube

It amazes me some of you guys are doing near 500lb with these. Does my 125 seem to line up strength wise with a ~315 (?) deadlift, 3x305 RDL, 2x345 rack pull and 1x255 or so squat? Or is my lower back even more relatively weak then I thought?[/quote]

yeah man looks good. as for depth, like matsm21 stated, as you get stronger you will be able to go lower. working on flexibility wouldn’t hurt either. in my opinion, i feel you can get more out of block deadlifts and romanians at this point. i noticed you stated 315 lb max deadlift and a 3 x 305 romanian? romanians are easier for u?

[quote]David1991 wrote:
OK I got 2 GM videos, got them straight this time for you guys too :slight_smile:

3x125 GM 3x125 - YouTube

1x145: I stopped after 1 because I felt like I couldn’t get low enough - YouTube

It amazes me some of you guys are doing near 500lb with these. Does my 125 seem to line up strength wise with a ~315 (?) deadlift, 3x305 RDL, 2x345 rack pull and 1x255 or so squat? Or is my lower back even more relatively weak then I thought?[/quote]

yeah man looks good. as for depth, like matsm21 stated, as you get stronger you will be able to go lower. working on flexibility wouldn’t hurt either. how long have u been GMing? if its only for a short while, give it time to break in and for your body to get accustom to the movement. after that comes the strength.

in my opinion, i feel you can get more out of block deadlifts and romanians at this point. i noticed you stated 315 lb max deadlift and a 3 x 305 romanian? romanians are easier for u?

[quote]awwww_fuq wrote:

yeah man looks good. as for depth, like matsm21 stated, as you get stronger you will be able to go lower. working on flexibility wouldn’t hurt either. in my opinion, i feel you can get more out of block deadlifts and romanians at this point. i noticed you stated 315 lb max deadlift and a 3 x 305 romanian? romanians are easier for u?[/quote]

Well like I said I’m not doing these specifically to help deadlifts, as I don’t even know if I’ll be going back to deads anytime soon. And my squat is worse than my deadlift even though I haven’t trained DL in awhile.

It does seem RDL’s are easier for me, and I just like them more. Back in march, last time I did them, I got 3x305 then 10x265. The most I had done with DL’s up to that point was 3x300 and 9x260 I think, so it’s really close. I think I like RDL’s better because I don’t have to go through that initial lift off the ground like I do in deadlifts, which like I said is my weakpoint it seems so it’s a more “stressful” lift mentally in that sense.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
you could benefit from more reps right now. push the weight each week. if you don’t get low enough, don’t worry(the 2nd one was fine). as you get stronger, go lower. like I said before, even partials are fine at times. as long as you go lower then you ever will with a squat or a dead, you’ll be fine.[/quote]

OK cool thanks.

So does my GM strength relative to squats and deadlifts seem typical or lower than average (again, relatively)? Just out of curiosity

Not sure where I’m going to start throwing GM’s and Rack pulls into my routine without the workout becoming too long. Maybe my sunday Pull workout, only lasts about 40min right now.

Those GMs are fine. You should deadlift the most, then squat, then GM (especially with how skinny you are). Guys that are different from that are outliers due to crazy squat genetics or extreme fatness that prevents them from deadlifting decently.

I would put the bar in a lowbar position also for your squat. It’s uncomfortable at first but you get used to it and can move more weight in the squat and easier to go lower in the GM

just my .02

[quote]Hodges einWindir wrote:
I would put the bar in a lowbar position also for your squat. It’s uncomfortable at first but you get used to it and can move more weight in the squat and easier to go lower in the GM

just my .02[/quote]

I honestly don’t even know the difference. I mean obviously “low bar squat” has the bar lower, but I don’t know the technique for it. I put the bar where it feels like it should go and I don’t feel how I could really put it lower while preventing it from falling.

I pull my shoulder blades together and i get a little divot in them that the bar sits in perfectly. I’m sure someone else will have a better explanation. I just started GMs today and I had a decently wide stance. Wasn’t going too heavy since I’ve never done them before and didn’t know how my body would react to them. So I just went as low as I could to feel a stretch in my hamstrings and low back then went back up.

Planning on progressing on them for the rest of summer while keeping light speed deadlifts in the routine as a warm and hammering the pull ups (never been good at them till recently) and seeing how that effects my 1RM deadlift. Only did like 5 sets of 155x5 today with the GMs going to shoot for 225 for reps by the end of summer. I’ll get a video next week of my form.

[quote]WhiteTiger711 wrote:
I pull my shoulder blades together and i get a little divot in them that the bar sits in perfectly. I’m sure someone else will have a better explanation. I just started GMs today and I had a decently wide stance. Wasn’t going too heavy since I’ve never done them before and didn’t know how my body would react to them. So I just went as low as I could to feel a stretch in my hamstrings and low back then went back up.

Planning on progressing on them for the rest of summer while keeping light speed deadlifts in the routine as a warm and hammering the pull ups (never been good at them till recently) and seeing how that effects my 1RM deadlift. Only did like 5 sets of 155x5 today with the GMs going to shoot for 225 for reps by the end of summer. I’ll get a video next week of my form. [/quote]

I wonder if doing the GM’s will help with the hamstring stretching my chiropractor said I should do.

Normally I’d just add GM’s at the end of a workout but honestly with low calories recently I’m having a tough time recovering from even what I’m just doing now. Not sure if adding another exercise on top of that would be great :\

Why are you on low calories? Whats the point of cutting when you’re so new? Especially if you’re posting in the powerlifting forums.

By the way does anyone know if GM’s help front squats as well? I would guess that it doesn’t help them much but they seem like a nice alternative if not competing in powerlifting. Or at least an addition.

[quote]WhiteTiger711 wrote:
Why are you on low calories? Whats the point of cutting when you’re so new? Especially if you’re posting in the powerlifting forums.[/quote]

Just for another 6 weeks. I’m actually not that new (4 years) but the middle 2 years just went no where. Regardless, I admit I’m clearly a beginner when it comes to strength.

You get better leverage from the low bar squat and as one guy said it’s more efficient the first time I attempted it it was uncomfortable as hell but the weight flew.

From what I understand the low bar squat makes you bend over more
http://www.crossfitsantacruz.com/.a/6a00d834515d6769e2010537182b44970b-500wi

It looks like it is harder but it is easier on the lower back. Just try it and you will see.