T Nation

Glycogen Refeeding?

Hi all; I was looking for any feedback, regarding the importance, or lack of, glycogen refeeding? I'm starting an Anabolic Diet regimen, and I'm also a Type 2 diabetic. Using low carb, I keep my blood glucose perfectly normal, and even when I eat some carbs, it doesn't go haywire.

Anyway, how important is glycogen refeeding? If you do feel it matters, does doing it before or after lifting matter as well?

I appreciate any input.

Hopefully Modok will chime in, but I don't think the AD is a very good option for a diabetic. The whole point of the AD is to have those two days of massive insulin response, and it just seems really dangerous (or at least not a good idea) for a diabetic to try to drive his or her insulin levels through the roof with a high carb day after many low carb days. I would think (although I'm no expert) that something more consistent would fit a diabetic much better.

Good luck.

Hey there, thanks for the response. I hope Modok does see this, I've been reading some of his responses on the AD thread, he seems pretty sharp on the subject.

Being diabetic does make me hesitant, but what I was hoping, was that on the refeed, the extra glucose from the spike would go into the cells, rather than hang out in my bloodstream. And, honestly, even when I eat carbs now, my BG doesn't go much higher than a non-diabetic! It may go up to 115 or so, the only thing is that it will stay there longer than a non-diabetic, and I'm hoping that changes, with the lifting and supplements, to increase insulin sensitivity.

Do you find that you store bodyfat easily? Being diabetic I mean?

If I were you and was looking for a place to stick carbs I would put them post workout. Im a type one diabetic and Ive noticed that for the food I eat post workout I shave off quite a few carbs off when I calculate how much insulin I need. Ive noticed the post workout drop is nearly twice as strong when the workout contains lots of squatting.
Keep it up though dude weightlifting has kept my blood sugar very stable and less prone to wild swings.

Yes, if I eat poorly, and I've always had weight problems; now, when I was diagnosed, back in 2007, I weighed 260, at 5'-9"; I went on a low carb diet, and dropped down to the 150s (I wasn't exercising then, either).

Tarrom, thanks for the info; what you said makes sense to me, in that our bodies will use the carbs in a normal manner, after lifting, especially something like squatting, which uses so many muscles.

The low carb portion of the anabolic diet is literally the treatment, and possibly the CURE for type II diabetes! At least I have had some individuals tell me that on a low carb diet they eliminated the need for insulin and after several months had experienced improved insulin sensitivity (going along with a loss of fat). I've had doctors who specialize in nutrition also tell me the same thing.

Maybe this is controversial? Let me know.

Anyway that would mean that you should use a low carb diet exclusively if you have type II, and then after several months if your type II symptoms are gone you might be able to carb load again.

in a "different" manner in that carbs are moved into muscle without insulin during and shortly after exercise. This thread raises some questions I've never fully had resolved. Is carb supercompensation due to increased insulin sensitivity from low carbs? Is carb loading after a workout due to the same mechanism or is it due to non-insulin mediated uptake. (reasoning is that insulin is somewhat blocked by catecholamines after intense training and yet we get carbs into the muscle fast after a workout). Is there a difference because the liver gets depleted on a week of low carbs but not after 1 workout?

Im a little confused with what exactly you mean but maybe if i tell you some of my experiences with giving myself insulin itll clear some things up for you.

First of all, i give myself two types of insulin. A "bolus" insulin which is fast acting and i take before meals based almost exclusively on the amount of carbs in the meal. There is also a "basal" insulin, lasting 24 hours that i take before i go to bed to counter the constant internal glucose releases mostly by the liver.

Im not completely sure of this but I think normal people dont have constant internal glucose releases. Anyways, ive noticed that the lessening of the amount of insulin i need post workout is not a sensitivity change but a block drop, as in an absolute number worth a certain amount of grams of carbs. One time I did eat a post workout snack that consisted of only the block drop so I took no bolus insulin.

My blood sugar was too high a little after the meal, but when I woke up the next morning (I had trained at night) my blood sugar was just where I calculated it would be. So, insulin is needed for this drop to happen, it just took a long time because the basal insulin just has a little action at any given point in time.

On a separate equation I had a big ass burrito for lunch that fucked up my blood sugar, so i took some more insulin about two hours after I ate, then went and trained about an hour after that. The thing is when I finished training the extra bolus insulin I took to correct the high blood sugar was still exerting a pretty big effect. My blood sugar crashed hardcore within twenty minutes of the end of my workout because of that insulin. I would guess that your body just really wants some glucose after workouts, and fast lol.

The other cool thing is that if you train consistently at the same time several days a week then you will have increased insulin sensitivity at that same time of day even on days you dont train.