Glycogen Levels and Energy Intake

I have a question! As far as I understand it, the reason for why fat and overfed people are stronger than skinny people is because they have a high carbohydrate intake which leads to high glycogen levels which makes you recover better and get more energy left which in turn leads to better synthesis of new muscle. High glycogen levels also leads to high water levels which gives you better leverages.

In other words:
Overfed state → Stronger
High carbohydrate intake → High glycogen levels
High glycogen levels → High water levels → Good leverages
High glycogen levels → Better recovered and more energy left → Better synthesis of new muscle tissue

Now, my question is this: That energy that is consumed and which directly leads to higher glycogen levels, does it matter if it is from carbs or could it be other kind of energy? Basically, my question is, if you know how many calories you need, does it matter for the glycogen levels whether it is from carbs or any other energy source? Do you increase glycogen levels as much for every calorie on other calories than carb calories?

I hope that my question was clear. Thank you so much for answers!

What other type of energy is there for glycogen?

If you want to go where you are going (dissecting energy/glycogen levels/ etc) I would suggest a basic course in bio chemistry.

What I am talking about is energy in fats and protein. Especially in fats. For example, if you are on the GOMAD diet, the energy will primarily be from the fat in the milk, not the carbs… Right?

And if you drink skim milk?

The reason I recommend the course is not to put you down. It is one of the best courses I’ve ever taken. It also thought me that I do not want to go further is those studies.

You never mentioned gomad in your original post, so I am inclined to think that you do not care about the knowledge. Just the answer. And we all know what s little knowledge is.

Good luck.

To answer your question - yes, it does matter whether the calories come from carbs or other sources. In the context of glycolytic, anaerobic work (like resistance training), carb intake becomes more critical as you increase training frequency, training volume, and training intensity.

Yes, the overfed state contributes to the overall anabolic environment, but it’s primarily the carbohydrates that fuel the training, and primarily the protein that supports the adaptation to the training.

Yes, fat is important for overall health, but the protein and carbs are the workhorses here.

Of course, different people need different amounts dependent on their genetics, training volume, and dietary history. However, you can shove fat down your gullet to create all the caloric surplus you want but you’ll likely get nowhere if you aren’t giving your body the carbs it needs to perform glycolytic work and the protein it needs to recover.

Does that make sense?

As far as milk is concerned, yes, fat contributes to the overall caloric surplus. However, it’s the fact that this caloric surplus is combined with carbs, protein, growth factors, and the ridiculous insulin response from milk that drives growth.

Keep in mind that milk was design by nature for one thing - growth.

Do you think that calories in fat contributes to higher glycogen levels as efficiently as calories in carbs?

You are confusing glucose and glycogen.

roba is teaching you running technique but you can’t walk yet. You are missing basic information of carb, fat and protein breakdown.

You also called gomad a diet. It is not. Just like superset is a program. It is not.

The answer to the above question is no. The body does not like to turn fat into glucose as it is a more complex way of getting energy. It will only do it when the body is in carb starved mode. As noted above, milk is a one stop shopping store for protein, carbs and fat. Everything to help the body grow (in healthy humans).

I have a feeling that you have a very basic question and you are trying to complicate things.

Great answers! Thank you very much! I will learn more about physiology and biochemistry.