Glycerol/Glycerine and Powerlifting

Hey Coach,

I’ve read up quite a bit on your suggestions of supplementing with glycerol for the volumizing effect in bodybuilding and was curious if it would be beneficial to use in powerlifting (i.e. after weigh-in hopefully to fill in gear and aid in hydration) ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]GetJakdorDieTryn wrote:
Hey Coach,

I’ve read up quite a bit on your suggestions of supplementing with glycerol for the volumizing effect in bodybuilding and was curious if it would be beneficial to use in powerlifting (i.e. after weigh-in hopefully to fill in gear and aid in hydration) ? Any input would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

Yes it would, anything that will increase intramuscular water retention will help with strength.

CT is right of course but also remember though to use it differently to the way a BB’er might. Part of the reason to go for the bloat is to help with joint health, plain glycerol may not help you as much here so remember to consume it as an addition to other carb containing drinks.

Thanks guys.

Drew do you have any more input on what else this carb drink would contain? Like how would you use it differently from a BB?

Thanks guys.

Drew do you have any more input on what else this carb drink would contain? Like how would you use it differently from a BB?

CT or Drew,

I was just rereading an article of yours “Supplementation for Newbies” and it talked about taking glycerol/glycerine. Just wondering were this would best be found?

[quote]KSU 2 CA wrote:
CT or Drew,

I was just rereading an article of yours “Supplementation for Newbies” and it talked about taking glycerol/glycerine. Just wondering were this would best be found? [/quote]

Best bet is a big chain store like Wal-Mart. You’ll most likely find it in the baking goods sections or cosmetics maybe. (as it is used in skin products/soaps). Just make sure it’s food grade lol.

… and it’s used for sore throats etc so that type will obviously be ‘consumption grade’

As for the type of carbohydrate drink, I’ll admit here to not being the worlds foremost expert on ‘the bloat’ but due to the amount consumed any that you tolerate well and like the taste of would be best. I know people who have had good results on just plain sports drinks.

Obviously as far as blood sugar levels and hydration go some combination of palatinose and rice oligodext would be a nice inclusion somewhere. The latter you can’t get easily in my country - so you see how your choices may be dictated. Perhaps there is some advice on Dave Tate’s site?

How would you use it differently? Well in terms of just pre-comp then the clear difference is carbohydrate AND water (for PL’ers) and not carbohydrate without much water (BB’ers).

Obviously it goes without saying that how you tailor it depend upon many things such as making weight etc.