Glycemic Index Cool Tip

Having read this study: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/78/4/742

I’m a little concerned about the validity of the description of a low GI food provided by the cool tip - can anyone clear this up?

Cheers.

i’ve seen this study b4. did you notice the part where it mentioned the fact that when you combine protein and carbs together you get a larger insulin response.

do a search on insulin index and use that as a guage instead of glycemic index. They should list the insulin index on foods but most of the times it is highly correlated with the glycemic index so i think they just left it that way. I’m surprised the american diabetic association has not done anything about it. it would make logical sense.

i think when the goal is to minimize insulin you need to increase fiber and fat intake to slow down the digestive process. Makes you wonder if we consume enough fiber with meals. laters pk

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
i’ve seen this study b4. did you notice the part where it mentioned the fact that when you combine protein and carbs together you get a larger insulin response.
[/quote]
Hi, thanks for your response.
I did notice this part and this is why I think that perhaps the description of a low GI food is inaccurate.
It seems to me that the conventionaly accepted response to a low GI food is a reduced blood sugar response - instead this study shows that this may not be the case.
That the blood sugar response was similar initially but the higher insulin response reduced blood sugar over time indicates to me that we can’t rely on the description below for validity.

[quote] TC wrote:
If the GI of a food is low, it means that the food won’t cause much of a rise in blood sugar, and if blood sugar isn’t affected greatly, the pancreas won’t secrete as much insulin. In turn, if the insulin response is low, carbs and fats won’t be shuttled off to storage areas.
[/quote]

Is there any info updates on these mechanisms that won’t be as painful as spending hours leafing through a physiology textbook?

[quote]
pkradgreek wrote:
do a search on insulin index and use that as a guage instead of glycemic index. They should list the insulin index on foods but most of the times it is highly correlated with the glycemic index so i think they just left it that way. I’m surprised the american diabetic association has not done anything about it. it would make logical sense.

i think when the goal is to minimize insulin you need to increase fiber and fat intake to slow down the digestive process. Makes you wonder if we consume enough fiber with meals. laters pk[/quote]

Your fibre and fat intake recommendation seems to be spot on, however, there is quite a difference between the glycemic and insulin index in ratings and system function - as we can see from the study.

Cheers.