Gluten Is Not the Villain. This Is

You could be right, which is a shame, considering my intent with this article was to declaw neuroses about gluten.

Just wondering since when soy milk substitute counts as milk…

What you said is legit and I mostly agree with it all. There is a massive problem in Western medicine though, and that is that lots of people with digestive issues are thrown on increasing doses of PPIs and other similar gastric drugs, given a list of vague potential triggers to avoid or even just dismissed as anxiety/health anxiety. This is before they ever get a chance to be referred to a gastroenterologist. It is simply more time efficient for general practitioners to prescribe medications than commit to helping people make lifestyle or diet changes - this isn’t their fault - they don’t have the time nor the necessary training to deal with this kind of stuff… It is similar to people getting hooked on painkillers because they can’t afford more dedicated rehabilitation, or don’t have the initiative to become advocates for their own problems. It can be a long and complicated journey and educating the patient whilst also trying to assume adherence is difficult.

It would relieve a lot of health services around the world of congestion if some people could figure out “Hey, every time I have milk I almost shit myself”, “Damn, spicy food gives me mad heartburn”, or “Sweeteners make me sound like a brass orchestra”.

I don’t think TC actually directly advised to go on a strict low-FODMAP diet, just to start to measure how you feel after eating known high-FODMAP foods. This kind of stuff is valuable information that you can take with you if you do eventually get referred to a gastroenterologist whose time is so very valuable (your wife is a hero).

4 Likes

Thanks for your receptive response TC. I am an even bigger fan now!

I was enjoying the article myself, as it debunks the myth around so-called gluten intolerance. Just probably need to be cautious about giving people another list of foods to fret about.

My rule of thumb for the majority: if human beings have eaten it for hundreds or even thousands of years, and it’s not been heavily processed, it’s probably OK and focus on minimising the obvious garbage: sugar, booze and the like.

Anyway, good respectful debate!

She’s certainly my hero!

Agreed on poor medication delivered by non-expert doctors. Only 4 weeks ago, a PT friend of mine was in a terrible, near emaciated, state, and had paid for advice from the wrong person. Eventually he saw my wife, who, in his words “saved his life”. It took her all of 30mins to diagnose his condition properly and get him the correct treatment. 2 weeks later he was different human being. Hence why I advise against people who have genuine problems not getting the correct help. It can be catastrophic.

3 Likes

In this regard, it’s somewhat interesting that, due to human beings, we lack the ability TO eat the things that were eaten for thousands of years. We’ve engineered our fruits and vegetables into bizarre mutations of what they once were, have our wildlife living off of some crazy crops, polluted the oceans where the fish live, etc.

The giant, juicy delicious apples found on trees are nothing like the bitter scrawny fellows our forefathers enjoyed.

I totally appreciate this sentiment, and always loved how Justin Harris framed nutrition as “If you can’t hunt it or grow it, don’t eat it”, but it’s also just a fascinating area to explore just how HARD it is to “eat naturally” these days.

1 Like

Being near emaciated and having some digestive discomfort are different beasts. My feelings are exactly the same as yours in regard to the first situation. In contrast, some people go through all the proper means and get told the blanket statement of “IBS”. Low FODMAP diets have been shown to improve symptoms in as many as 75% of people, so paying attention is always gonna be worth a shout.

Although, sure… if it’s quite serious you should definitely be given the all-clear via a gastroenterologist, endoscopy etc. This should happen way before you start cutting out foods and therefore potentially important nutrients.

Nice chatting to you. And I’m a little envious that you have an in-house gastroenterologist. :slight_smile:

TC. I liked the way you did the article. Gave some opinions to try. Gave up garlic, avocados and cream for a bit to see if it helps.

1 Like

It give me anhedonia.

Here is the actual problem, not FODMAPS.

It’s called wheat germ agglutinin (WGA) and it’s found a lot more in wholegrain bread than plain white bread.

I’ll share a link about it, hopefully it works because knowing about this will change your life. I’m not affiliated with that website at all it’s just a good starting point.

We have ruined our gut lining and killed off gut bacteria too, it doesn’t matter what past generations ate because they were completely different to us, especially Americans

1 Like

That may a problem for some people, but it would be wrong to dismiss FODMAPs as potential problems like you have. Onions and garlic are often the first foods people try eliminating and notice symptom improvement with. Of course they don’t contain wheat germ agglutinin… but they do contain concentrated amounts of fructans (a FODMAP) which is also a component of many breads.

Galacto-oligosaccharides are very similar to fructans and often people find that if they have trouble digesting the things above it is quite common that they may also struggle with things like legumes and pulses. We don’t produce the enzymes to break these down into single sugars leaving them unabsorbed and leading to fermentation. “In healthy people this causes a bit of wind and is part of normal, healthy digestion. In IBS, where the gut is hypersensitive and motility disturbances are common, this results in abdominal discomfort and altered motility.” (direct quote from Monash University, the leading guys in the education of FODMAPs).

1 Like

Love that word! Love to see it used.

But are you serious? And what gave you anhedonia, my article or gluten?