T Nation

Glute Injury

I was doing a heavy set of squats in the gym about 2 weeks ago, which I think was the cause of an injury I sustained the area of my glutes surrounding my tailbone. I’m not exactly sure what I did, but everytime I try to squat, jump or come up from a low position (eg. coming up out of the blocks in a sprint race) I get this deep kind of pain around my tailbone. I mean ‘deep’ as in I’m not totally sure if its the muscle that is causing the pain. I’m quite sure that it is affecting my running speed somewhat. Does anyone know what kind of injury this is, how it will affect me and what can be done to help with recovery?

I’m not a doctor,but sounds like a sciatic nerve problem,possibly.I’d say go to a chiroprator in your area that is certified in ART.

See a real doctor, not a chiropractor. People in these forums generally give poor medical related advice. Above all, stop or reduce the workouts till you find out.

I doubt it has anything to do with sciatica…but I may be wrong. I have had a similar problem in the past, but I believe that it was caused by deadlifting. What you’ve probably done is strained either your glutes or one of the low paraspinal muscles. My advice is to lay off it for at least 5 to 7 days, with only a small amount of light activity and pain-free stretching. Also, be sure to ice the area after stretching. You may want to see a physiohterapist for a more accurated diagnosis. Good luck.