T Nation

Glute Hypertrophy....

Does anyone do barbell hip thrusts and have found that they actually work to get more mass in the glutes?

The only guy who seems to be a proponent of the exercise is Bret Contreras, and I know he’s done a lot of hard work around the subject… but still, he’s only ONE guy.

Have barbell hip thrusts increased the size of your ass?

[quote]alternate wrote:
Does anyone do barbell hip thrusts and have found that they actually work to get more mass in the glutes?

The only guy who seems to be a proponent of the exercise is Bret Contreras, and I know he’s done a lot of hard work around the subject… but still, he’s only ONE guy.

Have barbell hip thrusts increased the size of your ass?[/quote]

I have, and yes they did.

Plain old squats aren’t doing it for you? Strange.

i would do them if u be injured or once in a while or need glute activation, but idk how you dont grow a fat ass from almost everything else you do for legs…most complain about ass growth.

I fucked my back up and they were the closest thing to a deadlift I could do for ages. I quite like them.

[quote]bignate wrote:
most complain about ass growth. [/quote]

not women…on them or their man =)

I do lunges and I wonder if it is enough for adding mass to the gluteal ? Or is it mandatory to squat if I want to have “more azz” ?

Sorry to be a little off-topic.

[quote]sicklifting wrote:
I do lunges and I wonder if it is enough for adding mass to the gluteal ? Or is it mandatory to squat if I want to have “more azz” ?

Sorry to be a little off-topic.[/quote]

Plenty of things you can do for your booty.

My favorite thing is setting the pulley at its lowest point and attaching an ab strap to it…face the stack with one foot in the ab strap and kick your leg straight back and as high as you can go…you’ll need to lean forward a bit though

I, too would like to know if lunges or squats for ass?

[quote]alternate wrote:
I, too would like to know if lunges or squats for ass?[/quote]

Depends on how you do them. Are you recruiting your glutes or not? Not too hard of a question.

squat 600

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
squat 600[/quote]

And then what? We have a PL coach at my gym who squats 611 and has much smaller legs than me with my measly 4 plate 1rm.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

squat 600[/quote]

And then what? We have a PL coach at my gym who squats 611 and has much smaller legs than me with my measly 4 plate 1rm.[/quote]

I’ve never seen someone squat 6 plates with a flat ass. Is this thread called Leg hypertrophy?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

squat 600[/quote]

And then what? We have a PL coach at my gym who squats 611 and has much smaller legs than me with my measly 4 plate 1rm.[/quote]

I’ve never seen someone squat 6 plates with a flat ass. Is this thread called Leg hypertrophy?[/quote]

Right, as if there aren’t other ways for the OP to develop his glutes BEFORE he hits his 600lb squat. It’s always one of those responses that just makes me think “cool story bro.” If OP knew how to get his squat to 600lb he wouldn’t have started this thread. Obviously he needs a more realistic response.

And yea, my glutes are bigger than his too. Sorry I didn’t specify that I include glutes as part of my “legs.” Sorry if that was unclear.

I can squat 510x10 and my estimated 1RM is 670. I will say this:

My ass needs it’s own address.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

squat 600[/quote]

I’ve never seen someone squat 6 plates with a flat ass. Is this thread called Leg hypertrophy?[/quote]

Right, as if there aren’t other ways for the OP to develop his glutes BEFORE he hits his 600lb squat. It’s always one of those responses that just makes me think “cool story bro.” If OP knew how to get his squat to 600lb he wouldn’t have started this thread. Obviously he needs a more realistic response.

And yea, my glutes are bigger than his too. Sorry I didn’t specify that I include glutes as part of my “legs.” Sorry if that was unclear. [/quote]

I believe the point was just squat more and your ass will get bigger.

[quote]hastalles wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

squat 600[/quote]

And yea, my glutes are bigger than his too. Sorry I didn’t specify that I include glutes as part of my “legs.” Sorry if that was unclear. [/quote]

I believe the point was just squat more and your ass will get bigger.[/quote]

Exactamundo.

OK, if we are comparing squats to barbell glute bridges solely for ass hypertrophy, which would win out?

If you’ve done the barbell glute bridges/hip thrusts, they give you a ‘butt-pump’ like nothing else, and you will use a similar amount of weight as in the squat, but obviously, squats are a staple - so it might be close, which edges it?

[quote]alternate wrote:
OK, if we are comparing squats to barbell glute bridges solely for ass hypertrophy, which would win out?

If you’ve done the barbell glute bridges/hip thrusts, they give you a ‘butt-pump’ like nothing else, and you will use a similar amount of weight as in the squat, but obviously, squats are a staple - so it might be close, which edges it?[/quote]

You tell us. Try it and see for yourself

[quote]hastalles wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

squat 600[/quote]

I believe the point was just squat more and your ass will get bigger.[/quote]

Right, I got the point, but I don’t think it’s the whole picture. As deltone one pointed out, his ass is big squatting 500 for REPS. Plenty of “small” guys hit 600 squats for 1 rep, but to get the big arse you can’t be afraid of a little volume. I guess that’s my point.

Moreover, rampantbadger’s OP had NOTHING to do with the OP of the thread. He asked a specific question about a specific exercise…and it’s not like it’s a retarded exercise. It’s great at developing control and power through hip extension and developing the posterior chain…all things that help improve deadlifts and squats.