Glute Hurts When Squatting Or Deadlifting. Help?

Ever since December I’ve had a pain in the center of my glute when squatting or deadlifting. It feels sort of like a twinge in one of the muscles and it’s usually at lockouts, the starts of deadlifts, and the bottom of squats. At first I thought it might have just been a tweak in one of my muscles. I took a week or two off and it didn’t get better. I decided to take the months of January and February off from squats and deadlifts. In addition to this I started doing a lot of stretching, foam rolling, icing, and even using the electro shock pad things. I’ve stopped doing the foam rolling because I feel like it only makes it worse and the shock pads seem like they do nothing. After taking a lot of time off it did get better. I was able to lift heavily without pain for about a month and a half. However, the pain is starting to come back.

I’m starting to think that stretching is making it worse and the pain is comin back with each workout. I’ve done some research and have a few theories on what it could be.

I was thinking possibly piriformis syndrome at first but after taking some time off and doing the piriformis stretch a lot I’m starting to think it’s not that. Another thing it could be is ischial bursitis or tendinitis. Also, I was thinking it could’ve just been a tweak at first but through over stretching it I made it worse.

Another thing I just recently noticed is a bruise where the pain usually occurs. I walk a good amount everyday so that shouldn’t be a problem either. This is so frustrating so if anyone has any possible solutions please help me.
P.S. I forgot to include this but my form is pretty good for both lifts.

Make sure your hip flexors are not tight.

Then do the following for 2-4 weeks and at least 3 times before you squat/deadlift, you may need to push a session back a day or two (you wont shrivel into nothing):

These are everyday

• try a lacrosse ball on the glutes (sit on the most painful spot and move your knee back and forth)
  • you may find muscles in the love handle/lower back area are to blame (rolling may not be appropriate here)
  • do air squats/deadlifts, being very deliberate with your form not pushing any pain (a lit discomfort is okay but don’t try to work past it)
  • the McGill big 3
  • walk

these are when you squat/deadlift

• pay more attention to your warm ups (do some single leg glute bridges, hip circle walks)
  • ramp up with smaller jumps to your working set
  • pay attention to form on working sets - hip shift, tipping, knees getting skewed/collapsing in, etc (or even better post a video)

Stop immediately and see someone if:

• things get worse at any point after day 2 (you may feel crap after day 1 or 2)
  • things don’t get better after 2 weeks
  • you feel a pop, significant tightness or any other sharp pain
1 Like

Thanks. I’ll definitely try these out and if things don’t get better soon I’m going to see a doctor. Form is pretty good however so I don’t think that is an issue.