Glute-ham raises ??

Don’t limit yourself with any style of Glute Ham - each is it’s unique stimuli to the hamstrings. Also consider applying different tempo’s or level resistance with both Natural’s or the machine.

For instance one type option with a natural glute-ham is a forced hold with tension near the start of the movement, followed by a fast drop and explosive push up.

With the machine, this can be done but it is also a great opportunity to provide resistance such as multiple use of both bands with an Olympic bar or Xvest on throughout the movement.

Now beyond Glute-Hams, pay particular attention how you really kick-start those hamstrings. Happy to discuss if you wish.

In faith,

Coach Davies

GWH, no doubt there is a diference between GHR and naturalGHR but for most of us this is the closest we can get to using a GHR machine.

For me I use an abs bench pushed against a wall so i can planter flex on the concentric as this matches to the best of my abilities the GHR.

But working up in weight on this exercise will still uild a great set of strong functional hammies, there was the thread the other week about that american football player that could do these with a 20kg dumbbell across his hest from a static start and he flew up, try telling him he hasn’t got strong hammies!

STU

The angles of a proper GHR Bench can make the exercise easier than a natural GHR due to the mechanical advantage of the position. I agree with CoolColJ that if performing natural GHR, you should try to position yourself so that you are able to push with your toes into a wall or similar structure to enforce the plantar flexion of the foot, thereby putting more stress on the hams. This exercise is different from natural leg curls because a leg curl involves solely knee flexion, whereas a GHR involves both knee flexion and hip extension. This is why natural GHR is completely different from natural leg curl. No comparison.

Exactly.

Load up your max on a leg curl and you will find yourself using the lower back a lot. That is, unless you use your upper body to stabilize yourself. On machine leg curls, most guys use their arms to stabilze themselves. Try doing a machine leg curl with 100% and no hands…boom, it’s the same thing as a NGHR.

BTW, natural leg curls in no way compare to the effectiveness of a proper GHR.