T Nation

Glute-Ham Raise

I just noticed that the piece of equipment at the gym that nobody ever uses is a Glute-Ham Raise.

So I tried it.

Is there a trick to avoiding the debilitating cramp in my right hamstring? Because I got to tell you, I don’t really see the training benefit of a tetanic contraction of the biceps femoris.

Like sex, the first time is always the worst. You won’t cramp forever. As far as assistance exercises for the hamstrings go, you can’t do much better.

Make sure you’re squeezing the hell out of your glutes at the start of the concentric. That should take some of the strain off of your hammies, thus elimintating the cramping.

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
I just noticed that the piece of equipment at the gym that nobody ever uses is a Glute-Ham Raise.
[/quote]
That figures. It is a highly effective way to train the posterior chain. You are fortunate that your gym has one, most don’t.

you could use a lat pull down machine + a flat bench…

[quote]weib wrote:
you could use a lat pull down machine + a flat bench…[/quote]

How?

Turn backwards to the lat pull down station. Kneel on the seat and hook your feet under the pads that your thighs would normally be under. Set the flat bench out front so that when you lower yourself you can put your hands out on the bench to give a push back up to assist yourself. At least thats how I did it till moving to a gym that has a GHR.

Joeab got it alright…
In addition, if you can find a strength band to attach to the pulley…you can do a slower concentric lowering till you’re strong enough to handle your BW

Lucky dude you are - in every gym I’ve been to there is NO GHR let alone the trainers even knowing what it is - I suggest they should go out and invest in ojne & I get the blank stare followed by a “Yeah, we probably should” - assclowns…

At least I get the lat pulldown machine to myself when I have to do the poorman version lol

[quote]futurepharm wrote:

[/quote]

psh…LUCKY! I WISH my gym had one.