Glute-Ham Raise Question

This question is a bit odd, so please bear with me. I have heard over and over again how the Glute-Ham raise is the single greatest exercise for hamstring development. My own expereince with it was that it was the toughest of all the hamstring exercises, and it built tremendous hamstring strength.

My question is: how? I understand the way it works the glutes, hams and calves, but since it only works the hamstrings in the knee flexion aspect, rather than the hip flexion, why is it so effective?

[quote]Paul222 wrote:
This question is a bit odd, so please bear with me. I have heard over and over again how the Glute-Ham raise is the single greatest exercise for hamstring development. My own expereince with it was that it was the toughest of all the hamstring exercises, and it built tremendous hamstring strength.

My question is: how? I understand the way it works the glutes, hams and calves, but since it only works the hamstrings in the knee flexion aspect, rather than the hip flexion, why is it so effective?[/quote]

the use of your bodybody weight. just like pushups,situps,wallsits,hypers add them into ur workout at the end. you will get stronger.if you do alot of hill sprints with or without a weight vest you will see a big differents in your speed doing ghr.

GHR’s do hit the hamstrings in both knee flexion and hip extension.

I bought a GHR to go along with my power rack. Best investment ever! I immediately felt where it should work, and I’ll never doubt it’s usefulness. I noticed tension right in the back of the knee, so obviously I was weak there. I also noticed that i had trouble firing the glutes, and that my lower back wasnt as strong as I had imagined. My hamstrings got really strong really quick, as this was bearing the brunt of the load. Like Dave Tate says, it’s the mother of hamstring loading.

I can understand how some gyms might not have a reverse hyper yet, but how do gyms NOT have a fucking GHR?!?

My gym sucks in some respects.

[quote]Paul222 wrote:

My question is: how? I understand the way it works the glutes, hams and calves, but since it only works the hamstrings in the knee flexion aspect, rather than the hip flexion, why is it so effective?[/quote]

Knee flexion dynamically, hip extension isometrically. Plus there’s that crush your nose factor.

Add a 45 lbs plate or 25 kg bumper plate, it’s hard as hell.

My friend (165 lbs) does them with a freaking 100 lbs wheel plate!