Glute Ham Raise for Home Gym

I am looking to purchase a GHR machine for my home gym but am having a hard time committing to spending the money on the EFS models which appear to be the best. I live near a NY barbell affiliate where I can pick up equipment and pay no shipping on their models. I haven’t found many reviews on the NY Barbell GHR, but the savings would be significant. Looking for any reviews or opinions on the NY Barbell GHR.

This is the NYBB model:

GLUTE / HAM STRING MACHINE

The problem with these bolt-together models is that they get very rickety very fast. If you’re mainly interested in doing GHRs you can’t beat Brian Schwab’s home GHR for the money.

the one i mention here GHD Worth Buying? - Powerlifting & Strength Sports - Forums - T Nation

is this exact model. I would pass on this one. Save up, buy a real deal one. You will not regret it. This one is $500, a real one is $600. Or you can get the home GHR from Schwab. I have it and posted a pic and a review. best for the $.

The Schwab GHR looks very interesting although it would only be a minor savings over the NY Barbell model which is a full GHR machine.

[quote]Ralf wrote:
The Schwab GHR looks very interesting although it would only be a minor savings over the NY Barbell model which is a full GHR machine.[/quote]

Yep, and it’s a full sized PIECE OF SHIT. You seem to not be listening. Do what you want. your money but I’m telling you. You will regret buying the NY barbells model. Then again if you’ve never used a EFS GHR you don’t know what you’ve been missing. There’s a saying… you don’t know, what you don’t know.

good luck man

I bought a cheapo GHR for my home gym from Yukon fitness (they actually called it a giant back extension) and so far have no complaints with it. It could use a little more padding because it cuts into my quads, and I had to rotate the toe plate, but it definitely got the job done.

I can’t speak to higher quality GHRs, as I never used them, but in terms of something that trains my glutes and hamstrings (and something I can do sit-ups off of as well), it works. I imagine you’d have similar success with the NYBB model. I’ve liked the majority of the things I have purchased from there.

"Yep, and it’s a full sized PIECE OF SHIT. You seem to not be listening. Do what you want. your money but I’m telling you. You will regret buying the NY barbells model. Then again if you’ve never used a EFS GHR you don’t know what you’ve been missing. There’s a saying… you don’t know, what you don’t know.

good luck man"

Seems youre overly sensitive that I may not be listening to you. I am seriously considering the Schwab over the NYBB. However, You’ve offered no concrete explanation as to why the NYBB is a piece of shit etc…All I did was point out that there was a minimal difference in price between the 2 models, and 1 of them is a full GHR. Feel free not to respond if this upsets you.

I’m only saying this because I have personally used a real GHR from EFS I OWN the schwab version and we have the NYBB GHR at my works fitness facility because my buddy bought it. here’s how I see it.

NYBB cost $500. and you can pick it up to save on shipping.
EFS model is $600, shipping is $200. Maybe call Matt Goodwin and see if you can pick one up at EFS. You can make a day out of it, meet some cool folks and have a far superior product.
or get the schwab model for $450 with $75 shipping and you can hang it on the wall when you are done. This piece is almost as versatile as the off the floor GHR. Don’t let this one fool you. In terms of GHR one only has to go parallel with the floor. Anything less than that the movement first becomes back raise. When you go below parallel with the floor you can swing the shit out of your body and let the momentum help complete the GHR portion of the movement. The floor takes that momentum out of the equation.

Home GHR- proper set up and use. - YouTube

[quote]Ralf wrote:
"Yep, and it’s a full sized PIECE OF SHIT. You seem to not be listening. Do what you want. your money but I’m telling you. You will regret buying the NY barbells model. Then again if you’ve never used a EFS GHR you don’t know what you’ve been missing. There’s a saying… you don’t know, what you don’t know.

good luck man"

Seems youre overly sensitive that I may not be listening to you. I am seriously considering the Schwab over the NYBB. However, You’ve offered no concrete explanation as to why the NYBB is a piece of shit etc…All I did was point out that there was a minimal difference in price between the 2 models, and 1 of them is a full GHR. Feel free not to respond if this upsets you.
[/quote]

I detailed that in the other thread. I can take pics of the machine at work if you’d like hell, I’ll even get a video of it wobbling all over the place. Maybe you are right. I’d just hate to see you toss money at a “deal” only to find that it wasn’t as sweet as you thought. Since I’ve used all 3 and have seen them in use for years now I thought I had a bit more “street cred” than most on this subject. You’ll like whatever you buy for 3-6 months. After that the glaring lack of quality with the NYBB will become apparent. I only mean to help you purchase a quality tool that will help you take your training serious. Ok, I’m out unless you’d like me to offer up some product pics. good luck dude. psst, go with the schwab!!! lol

[quote]Ralf wrote:
[/quote]

my posts aren’t showing up for some reason. Let me try again. Apologies if this does the ol multiple reply thing…

I detailed that in the other thread, in the link up there. The NYBB is a far less superior piece. It is like buying golf clubs at Walmart. Sure you can play the game with it but the Calloways are much better, last longer etc .

FWIW, I am likely the only guy on this board who has first hand experience with a “full” GHR from EFS, the schwab model and the NYBB. But in the end I’m just some jack off on the web giving advice. Good luck.

StrengthDawg,

Thanks for the explanantion. I believe I will be going with the Schwab. The only reason I even considered the NYBB is because I’ve purchased a power rack, buffalo bar, and bench from them and have had no problems whatsoever. But I appreciate the fact that you have actual experience with the different models.

Come to think of it the Schwab would be perfect in that I’m only interested in doing the GHR and not situps, back raises or the other things you can do with the full models. Plus, my home gym is very small, and there isnt really room for much more than I already have.

[quote]Ralf wrote:
StrengthDawg,

Thanks for the explanantion. I believe I will be going with the Schwab. The only reason I even considered the NYBB is because I’ve purchased a power rack, buffalo bar, and bench from them and have had no problems whatsoever. But I appreciate the fact that you have actual experience with the different models.

Come to think of it the Schwab would be perfect in that I’m only interested in doing the GHR and not situps, back raises or the other things you can do with the full models. Plus, my home gym is very small, and there isnt really room for much more than I already have.[/quote]

Glad I could help. I didn’t mean to sound like I was giving you shit. I sometimes get passionate about a topic don’t articulate well.

Here’s the beauty of the Schwab. You can do ab work on it. I don’t do it often but one can. Also if you want to get it up off the floor, simply place it on your bench. I do. just weigh it down a bit more than you normally would. I place a yoga mat in between the GHR and the bench to help make it stick better and not scuff up my bench pad.
I bought a 6" lag bolt and screwed it into a stud in the garage wall. Then hang the device on the bolt. It’s nice to not have to commit the floor space to something.

Oh, if you’ve never done a GHR be prepared to have your ego kicked in the balls a bit. They are tough. Once you get good at body weight reps, add in 5-10 pounds. It’s like learning all over again. Most people use plates held on their chests. that’s the “easy” route… instead, toss a dumbbell behind the neck and try them or use a mini band. It’s BRUTAL and quite humbling.

Hey

I made a GHR ‘machine’ out of some 2x4. Cost me about £25, of which £15 was the foam pad which was well oversized as it happens so could probably make another one for £15-20.

It’s only softwood so is easy to screw together then glue the pad on and staple the fabric on. There is no room for adjustment and is measured to my foot/knee length but the only people that use it is me and the spiders/slugs that live in my garage so it doesn’t matter (to me).

Let me know if you want to consider this I can post some pictures and the schematics to build it. I built it as I didn’t want to pay £350 (about $600 I guess) for an assistance exercise machine.

you must be loaded to be able to buy such misc machines for your probably very nice home gym

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
the one i mention here http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/ghd_worth_buying

is this exact model. I would pass on this one. Save up, buy a real deal one. You will not regret it. This one is $500, a real one is $600. Or you can get the home GHR from Schwab. I have it and posted a pic and a review. best for the $. [/quote]
Just got my tracking number for mine. Awesome customer service too. They quote 6-8 weeks for delivery, but Brian said they sometimes ship early, so he’d send a tracking number if it did. It’s been just a hair over 2 weeks since I ordered and I got the tracking e-mail this morning. Friday can’t come soon enough

i ordered mine last week on tuesday Feb. 4. Today I got my tracking number and its scheduled for delivery on wednesday Feb. 12.

excited for you guys. You’re gonna love / hate the GHR. lol

when you get “good” at it. toss a chain or two around your neck. You’ll be right back in the suck again. Endless brutality. Endless awesomeness.