Glute Development

I need training advice in glute muscle to keep in par with the rest of my body, which are developing quite well. Any suggestion?

KF:…One word…Squats. Yes, there are other “auxilliary” exercises that may help, but squats are what build glutes…

SQUATS, SQUATS, SQUATS!!!

Um… ok, I think you guys summed it up!

Your glute training will be best served by working the posterior chain. So focus on exercises like snatches, cleans, stiff-legged deadlifts, deadlifts, good mornings, glute-ham raises, reverse hypers, and lunges! :slight_smile:

Do ‘great ass lunges’. Here they are: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

Yesterday was LEG DAY. I did BARBELL BACK LUNGES (DEEP &
CONTROLLED) 3 X 10 ea… followed by semi heavy STIFF-LEGGED -
DEADLIFTS (DEEP-STRICT & CONTROLLED) 3 X 8 with a 4-1-2 cadence.
Today I’m “A SORE ASS.” P.S. I also threw in a set of hi-rep
LEG PRESSES, a few LEG CURLS, and some adductor work; but these
were just window dressing. Giving you a little variety, Joey Z. ::::----::::

I’ll defer to chardawg on this one.

Squat. period.

Thank you, Styles.

While all of the suggestions given above have their place, especially for beginners, those who are seriously considering achieving the ultimate in assonance are best served by an exercise developed by the late, great AssMaster Emeritus Vladomir “Maxibuns” Pyukinrach. Although not mainstream, properly performed this exercise is guaranteed to make one’s posterior development skyrocket (and, concurrently, shift the gluteal curve at least 4 degrees upward).

Begin with TWO barbells, one on each shoulder, pointing front-to-back. Load ONE 45-pound plate on the front of the left-shoulder barbell, and ONE 45-pound plate on the rear of the right. This will create an "even/uneven" load, subjecting the glutes to an unusual stress not encountered during normal, (dare I say "pedestrian"?) training. Stand on the left leg, sticking the right out in front a la King Squat style. (I'm assuming that you're a right-dom...) Lower until the angle between the upper and lower leg is precisely 27 degrees. Keeping the back straight, hold this position for 45 seconds, then, keeping the right glute TIGHT, return to an upright stance. Repeat three times, then change the barbells around and do the left leg. This exercise is best performed standing sideways in a power-rack. Also, it helps if your training partner comes to the gym armed with a protractor.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Full squats and strict arch-backed good mornings will really hit your glutes.

Which glute exercise will work best for you kind’ve depends on your muscular balance and how you’re built. Although not talked about often, in my opinion the glutes are probably the most important muscle group for sporting performance. They contribute more to the vertical jump and start of a sprint then any other muscle group. In my opinion you need to pick exercises that involve both hip dominant and quad dominant movements. Paul Chek has stated that the glute area is made up of mostly fast twitch muscle fiber and is hard to recruit. This means you’d be best served by using fairly heavy weights if you desire to develop glute mass to the maximum Here in no particular order are my top exercises for glutes:
below parallel squats, box squats, lunges (knee behind toe), split squats (back leg elevated lunges), Rack pulls (Deadlifts from the knee) Weighted King deadlifts, Reverse hyperextensions, Glute Ham raises, Good mornings, sled dragging (take long deep steps and follow through), crotch dragging (like dragging a sled while in a good morning position). Experiment with some of these exercises and do them in strict fashion and see which ones you respond to the best.

In addition to the exercises disucssed above, you may want to throw in some pull-throughs (stiff-legged) a la Westside Barbell. These are great for the glutes and lower back.

Sincerely,

Matthew A. Levy

A narrower stance in squats and deadlifts will hit the glutes harder as opposed to the hamstrings. Also, squat using a low bar position to shift the emphasis from the quads to the posterior chain.

I forgot to mention, squat as deep as possible, and use 1 and 1/3s or even perform an entire set in only the bottom half of the range of motion.