Glute Development

during the course of 3 years I trained like a powerlifter…but never competed…I squatted and deadlifted once every five days…as a result my glutes grew way to big…they stick out…

currently i quit powerlifter type training and quit squatting and deadlifting now for the last two months…my big glutes have affected me psychologically giving me terrible social anxiety…i hate the size of them…i am now doing at least 7 hours of cardio a week to see if they become smaller and hopefully lift my self esteem

is there an exercise or type of training that will reduce the size of my glutes…

All of us have body parts we hate. My legs grow quickly out of proportion with the rest of my body, and worse it’s the vastus lateralis and gracilis that grow fastest, making them look not defined, but wide and thick, like “cow legs” as one (former) friend said.

Anyway, I had to make my peace with it. I can carefully choose exercises that maximum a proportionate look in my legs, but they’ll always be bigger in relation to my upper body if I work out in a balanced way, with health uppermost, rather than aesthetics.

Here are the hard truths: if you workout in a balanced way (i.e., compound lower body exercises as well as upper body ones) your ass is just not going anywhere, no matter what cardio you do. Accept it. (Believe it or not, some people actually wish they had more junk in the trunk).

If you don’t give a fuck about balance and health, and just want to get rid of it by any means, I suggest six months of vegetarianism along with your seven hours a week of cardio (biking is a good choice, since it involves the glutes very little; long distance running–no sprints or hills!–is another good choice.)

Stop eating so much? Go on a calorie restricted diet?

Deal with it.

I have 38’’ hips. Try fitting those sumbitches into a squat suit…

[quote]lotto wrote:
during the course of 3 years I trained like a powerlifter…but never competed…I squatted and deadlifted once every five days…as a result my glutes grew way to big…they stick out…

currently i quit powerlifter type training and quit squatting and deadlifting now for the last two months…my big glutes have affected me psychologically giving me terrible social anxiety…i hate the size of them…i am now doing at least 7 hours of cardio a week to see if they become smaller and hopefully lift my self esteem

is there an exercise or type of training that will reduce the size of my glutes…
[/quote]

Don’t lose it!!! I love that look! Who wants a flat assed man?? Yuk.

You do not have to eliminate squats or deadlifts completely. Also, on the flip side excessive cardio will not only reduce the size of the gluteals but you’ll lose strength and residual toneness by sacrificing hard earned Type II fiber development. In other words you’ll have “Old man saggy butt” disease. My recommendation, use a daily udulating periodization plan where you deadlift and/or squat three times a week giving one day to maximum strength, one day to hypertrophy (you gotta keep those Type II’s dude), and one day muscular endurance. Keep your sets on the low to moderate range, 2-3. Also, stay on point with your eating habits. And, alternate LSD cardio with HIIT, sprint work, or sled work. Search T-Nation for HIIT, sprint, and sled work recommendations. Good luck.
P.S. Women like a man with a little “junk in his trunk” as long as it is firm!

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Deal with it.

I have 38’’ hips. Try fitting those sumbitches into a squat suit…[/quote]

You’re probably fat. Stop eating so much and maybe this wont be a problem.

[quote]lotto wrote:

[/quote]

How big are we talking about here? maybe the question isn’t getting the glutes to lose size but maybe to bring up the quads and hams themselves so the glutes don’t take away from them.

I’ve always had a bubble butt since i was a kid and teased quite a bit for it. Fuck em. a lot of guys don’t or aren’t able to develop any amount of size on their ass. my hips measure 40" and they are actually down some. at the early part of track season i’ve been up to 41.5" before and still thing my legs and ass need to be bigger but then again my gf thinks i’m crazy.

so again, how big are we talking about here?

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Deal with it.

You’re probably fat. Stop eating so much and maybe this wont be a problem.[/quote]

Dude, that’s not very nice. mine are 40" right now and i ain’t even close to being fat.

[quote]BSims wrote:
Ryu13 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Deal with it.

You’re probably fat. Stop eating so much and maybe this wont be a problem.

Dude, that’s not very nice. mine are 40" right now and i ain’t even close to being fat.[/quote]

Dito, my hips are 39.5 to 40" and I am not fat. My problem is that my glutes are overactive relative to my hamstrings. So I’m trying to limit glute involvement and target hammys, and also moved off most of the glute heavy moves for a bit to get the hammys and thighs working more in squats, deads, and cleans.

I got all yall beat! 42" hips and I’m not fat either. So ha!

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Deal with it.

You’re probably fat. Stop eating so much and maybe this wont be a problem.[/quote]

Why don’t you take a look at my pictures you dumb fucker.

They’re on my profile.

You never have anything to say, Ryu, you can feel free to go to hell.

Try compensating by building a 60 in chest, 24 in arms, and 36 in quads. That I believe is you only option. Better get started.

[quote]lotto wrote:

[/quote]

I can’t comment on any specific exercise or training that may help to reduce the size of your glutes, but I tell you about my own experience with a similar troubling muscle imbalance that I had/have, which you may find benefical.

About 8 or 9 months ago, in an attempt to fix my horrible posture (this was before discovering T-Nation), I picked up a book with a self-assessment posture test/correction section and somehow drastically misinterpreted the information in it… for many long months. The end result: upper traps that are clearly disproportionate with my middle/lower traps and the entire rest of my back. A muscle which I also thought had grown ‘too big’.

Anyway, on to the part of my story which you may find helpful. After struggling around with trying to get ‘balanced out’ for awhile, I (1)got hit with the flu and (2) had a member of my family die, which sent me into a severely depressive funk. The two events caused me to go from 6’2, 205lbs, 14% bf to 6’2, 176lbs, 15%bf in like 6 or 8 weeks. As a consequence, the muscle which I thought felt massively imbalanced is now significantly smaller and I actually feel alot better. Obviously, while I gain the muscle back and work to get balanced out, there will be some muscle memory in the ‘unbalanced muscle’, but still I definitely feel a lot less anxious about it.

Now, I’m not suggesting that you get the flu or kill a member of your family. However, if the size of your glutes, which you believe to be ‘way too big’, is to the point of causing you social anxiety, maybe taking a break for awhile and dropping some weight will make you feel better about them. (The size of my glutes definitely decreased when I lost 30 lbs). Then, if you wanted to, you could selectively gain back the muscle you lost, i.e. only weight train your upper body for the rest of your life :wink: Seriously though, dropping weight and working back up may have a psycho-logical (think Korzibsky) advantage.

Just an idea.

[quote]Kir Dog wrote:
I got all yall beat! 42" hips and I’m not fat either. So ha![/quote]

Yeah, you even got me beat for half an inch. Thank god:)