Glute Bridge, May Help Deadlift Back Pain?

I’m extremely inconsistent on these forums, but I thought this would be worth mentioning.

Long story short, I messed up my back pretty bad about 5 years ago, through trial and error I managed to get back into training, and be able to maintain physical labor jobs. However no matter what I do, I always seem to have a nagging lower back pain after heavy deadlifts, pretty much right in my cheek, and directly on my tail bone. (And I love deadlifts, so that kind of sucks)

I kind of just muscled though my last routine, never got worse, but consistently had the same pain afterwards.

Well I just started my new program, and today was:
Back Hyper 2 x 12
Deadlift 4 x 8
Incline Bench 4 x 8
Single Leg Glute Bridge 2 x 12
DB Flys 3 x 10

And after deadlift (4 x 8 x 305, huge accomplishment for me by itself) my back had that same ache. It lingered until I did the glute bridges. Then the pain completely subsided, and has been 100% since.

Considering I pretty much always have some sort of ass pain, I’m assuming there is some notable imbalance in my posterior chain, but this seemed to hit the spot. Or maybe the hypers just prepared my back for the abuse, idk.

Thought I’d throw it out there for anyone with a similar issue. Now to just find the magic cure for my shoulder. (Jokes)

Tight hip flexors and weak glutes have played havoc on my back (currently dealing with a minor set back).

I tend to find that if I lapse on my posture, accessories that target glutes OR mobility I will pay for it soon enough.

I think this is on the money but it could be lots of issues so others may have less luck with this approach.

1 Like

Sometimes when my lower back is tight, I’ll do some glute bridges if I’m at home or at the gym. It usually helps noticeably, so there’s definitely something to it. I’m glad you figured out a way to address the pain, the posterior chain can become one big mess in a hurry if one part is too weak or injured

One of the things that has helped me is to make sure that I have a strong stretch in my hamstrings. When I do that, I don’t feel much in my lower back.

I have a lower back injury as well.

I’ve also noticed that I can squeeze one cheek much harder than the other. I think this is a good sign that back issues may surface.

Yeah, I know the P Chain seems to be a giant injury waiting to happen to a lot of people. When I hurt my back I panicked and stopped working out, and that made it so much worse, my back go so weak I was basically incapable of sitting up without my arms. Most of my training now a days focuses on making it as strong as possible. A form of deadlift 2 days a week, Zercher squats another, and lots of assistance work.

There’s definitely no cure all considering it has so many starting points.

What kills me is, I can lift… I’m not sure, 365 is a conservative guess, confidently; but I picked up a 20lb box at work the other week and completely threw myself out of commission for the entire week.

The back is such a finicky little shit.

May want to try googling AthleanX back pain. He has some stuff on there that has helped me.

1 Like

Try this:

Foam Roll:
As much pressure as tolerable 30s on tender/tight areas
Hip Flexors, TFL

Stretch:
Hip Flexors, Quads
2x 30s each

Activate:
Side Lying Leg Abductions 2x 12 each leg
Deadbug 2x12

Integrate: