Glute Bridge Help

ive been doing gluete bridges for a while doing on leg at a time. I can do it with 300 pounds so adding up for each leg that would be 600 which i think is pretty good but i think ive been doing them wrong. Im short and when i do it one legged i cant get my other leg up real high but i still get the contraction in my gluetes but then when I raise up my elbows always stay on the ground since im short. Am i doing it right or wrong? thanks.

We need a video… 300 With one leg glute bridges does not sound right.

I need to see a video because if your telling the truth or just not confused your one of the strongest people I have ever seen do these. I would imagine even Kevin Nee would have trouble with that and he was one of the strongest guys I’ve seen use this movement and he was only in the 600’s

[quote]JMike21 wrote:
Im short and when i do it one legged i cant get my other leg up real high[/quote]
For reference, what’s your height, weight, and current squat and deadlift?

i’m going to venture a guess and say you’re doing it wrong. To be clear, you’re doing this exact exercise…

… using 300 pounds, for several reps I’m guessing?

yeah the one above is what Im doing now that I look at it i think im doing it wrong and i did it for reps of 3

Not calling you liar but please video because that’s damn impressive. I love hip thrusts my absolute favorite movement and 365lbs for me is damn near immovable with both legs.

Here is Kevin Nee doing them, damn impressive.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I love hip thrusts my absolute favorite movement[/quote]

[quote]law8 wrote:
Here is Kevin Nee doing them, damn impressive.[/quote]

I think some folks are confusing two similar exercises. There are hip thrusts, done with the upper back on a bench, like Nee is doing above and Coaches Staley and Contreras are doing here:

And there are glute bridges, done totally on the floor, like in the video I posted earlier and here:

It’d be like talking about incline pressing and some folks end up referring to barbells and some referring to dumbbells. Different, but similar, exercises. The ROM and angles of force are different.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
I love hip thrusts my absolute favorite movement[/quote]

[quote]law8 wrote:
Here is Kevin Nee doing them, damn impressive.[/quote]

I think some folks are confusing two similar exercises. There are hip thrusts, done with the upper back on a bench, like Nee is doing above and Coaches Staley and Contreras are doing here:

And there are glute bridges, done totally on the floor, like in the video I posted earlier and here:

It’d be like talking about incline pressing and some folks end up referring to barbells and some referring to dumbbells. Different, but similar, exercises. The ROM and angles of force are different.[/quote]

My mistake Chris. Is there more involvement of the hamstrings with hip thrusts off a bench or how are they different?

Nope I was referring to Glute Bridges they are my favorite posterior chain movement.

[quote]law8 wrote:
My mistake Chris. Is there more involvement of the hamstrings with hip thrusts off a bench or how are they different?[/quote]
The hip thrusts have a longer ROM since you’re essentially starting deeper than in the glute bridge (smaller angle between torso and thigh). There’s also going to be more muscle recruitment, partly because of the increased ROM and also because, at the peak contraction, you’re working harder to maintain that shoulder-to-knee straight line so there’s more core and total leg recruitment.

Last, even though hip thrusts do have that larger ROM, you can eventually go heavier than with glute bridges because the bridge puts you in that “decline press” position and you end up dealing with the weight wanting to move towards your chest at the top position.